Thread: Hatteras dive report with Dive Hatteras

Grouper
    Images

Hatteras dive report with Dive Hatteras

Hey everybody,

Just got back from OBX and got to dive with Dive Hatteras. It was their first trip out for the season. I must say I was impressed with their operation. This was my first time diving in that area and the pre-dive briefing was thorough and very helpful. Both captains were very helpful and courteous. I dropped my weight belt on the initial entry and they laughed it off and recovered it at the end of the dive.

The first dive was on the Proteus. Water temps were 73 at the top and 69-70 at 120'. Vis was around 40ft, which was disappointing to them, but great for me. We had a spearfisher go down first. He bagged one and was on his way up when we were going down. At 70 feet he was getting some attention from a sand tiger! That was my first encounter with that particular shark...but not the last. We hit the wreck at 115, checked out the prop, and followed the prop shaft to the boilers, seeing several sand tigers. At the boilers my buddy (Glockdiver) pointed up and above us I saw a group of no less than 30 sand tigers schooling around. It was an awesome sight!!! We turned around and headed back through the school, and ascended with only 1 minute of deco!

The second dive was the Dixie Arrow. We hit the wreck at 85 ft and were surrounded by jellyfish....mostly the stinging variety. They were everywhere...I spent the dive with my hands out in front of my face to protect from unseen stingers. Every now and then a loose one would make it past and you would feel a little burn on your cheek. It was kind of a buzz kill. The vis was about 30 feet, the surface current was about 1 knot, but at the bottom it was very mild. Coming up we were greeted by 5-6 barracudas. Temps were in the low 70's.

It looks like the pool is open in Hatteras!
    Get Wet,
    Eric

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by emcbride81 View Post
    Hey everybody,

Just got back from OBX and got to dive with Dive Hatteras. It was their first trip out for the season. I must say I was impressed with their operation. This was my first time diving in that area and the pre-dive briefing was thorough and very helpful. Both captains were very helpful and courteous. I dropped my weight belt on the initial entry and they laughed it off and recovered it at the end of the dive.

The first dive was on the Proteus. Water temps were 73 at the top and 69-70 at 120'. Vis was around 40ft, which was disappointing to them, but great for me. We had a spearfisher go down first. He bagged one and was on his way up when we were going down. At 70 feet he was getting some attention from a sand tiger! That was my first encounter with that particular shark...but not the last. We hit the wreck at 115, checked out the prop, and followed the prop shaft to the boilers, seeing several sand tigers. At the boilers my buddy (Glockdiver) pointed up and above us I saw a group of no less than 30 sand tigers schooling around. It was an awesome sight!!! We turned around and headed back through the school, and ascended with only 1 minute of deco!

The second dive was the Dixie Arrow. We hit the wreck at 85 ft and were surrounded by jellyfish....mostly the stinging variety. They were everywhere...I spent the dive with my hands out in front of my face to protect from unseen stingers. Every now and then a loose one would make it past and you would feel a little burn on your cheek. It was kind of a buzz kill. The vis was about 30 feet, the surface current was about 1 knot, but at the bottom it was very mild. Coming up we were greeted by 5-6 barracudas. Temps were in the low 70's.

It looks like the pool is open in Hatteras!
    Thanks for the report, i have never ventured North of Cape Lookout. I am diving the Proteus out of Morehead later this summer and look forward to it. Glad you had good dives.

Grouper
    Images
    I think you will enjoy it...easy to navigate and lots of sea life...post up when you get back!
    Get Wet,
    Eric

Barracuda Founding Member
    Looks like I may be diving the Dixie Arrow in August, 1st time in NC diving.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Grouper
    Thanks for the report. May be heading there this summer.

Thread Information