Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: old tanks what to do with them.

Shark

old tanks what to do with them.

As some of you know I bought some used tanks that turned out to be bad alloy tanks. Place is to use them for extra tanks till they go out of hydro. I am buying two new with dads gear from ST and the stuff we will be picking up from the pawn shop has a 2004 tank in with it all. SO I doubt they will get used alot but it is nice to have them around if the other 3 are empty and I want to dive. Though I am trying to figure out what to do with them when I no longer need them.

I could sell them but figure being bad alloy tanks it would be hard to sell them and I would not sale them without telling someone money ant worth screwing someone over. I have a few ideas but none that I am set on really doing so that I would think if you guys have came up with any cool things to do with them. Here are my ideas what do you think and what have you came up with.

Lamps basicly run the cord through the valve hole and screw a pole into the hole. This would be without the valve on.
    A bell painted to look like a dive flag. I have no idea how to do it just know it is done.
    Mail box basicly cut the tank where it rounds up to the valve place a hing on it and you would lift the valve to open. Though might be alittle heavy for a mail box. (god help the kid who hits it with a bat)

cooler or storage box for dive room.

Another though questiong my sanity with this. Empty it take it and have a good auto painter (I know one ) paint red and scuba diver in white and mount it on my steel bumber on my jeep. I like this and just thought it up and bet no one has EVER done it. Being al no rust issues plus I could even see filling it with water and or antifreeze so if I needed water or antifreeze I would have some Also just thought that up(might be cause I just took a vicodone cause my back hurts bad)
    Base for glass end tables or coffee table not sure how I can do this and keep the valve in it.

Well I think thats all I got at 3am so what do you think or do I need to fill my tank with car exhaust and go on a dive cause I have lost my mind

Ps with all the ideas I am having if any of you have some bad tanks and want to get rid of them I would be willing to buy them to do some of the things I am thinking. properly willing to give you scrap price or better. Though shipping might kill me. Larry got any laying around???

Guppy
    I have a small blacksmith shop, I make gongs out of them. I cut them off with a plasma cutter and change the length to vary the sound, make a striker and wala.... a otherwise perfectly useless gone that is guaranteed to piss the neighbors off.
    Bill

Shark
    Images
    scuba tank mailbox http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarkin...4cf8e40685.jpg

scuba tank lamp Scuba tank mailbox image by mikes2006 on Photobucket

I have a long term project of turning on old set of steel dbls into a gas grill.......
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation. If you dont like this signature I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!

Shark
    apparently you can weld a bunch of then together and make a 'tank man'
    God is good, no matter what!!

Grouper

old cylinders

Keep them and use them to fill tires on your jeep.

Jim

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
    I have a small blacksmith shop, I make gongs out of them. I cut them off with a plasma cutter and change the length to vary the sound, make a striker and wala.... a otherwise perfectly useless gone that is guaranteed to piss the neighbors off.
    Bill
    Friend in the Keys did that. She's an artist and would paint them up to use as decorative door bells.

Tim, you can always salvage the valve if it is any good (I have several J-valves I use as paperweights) then scrap the tanks for the Aluminum.

I have another friend in the Keys who has charged me with supplying him with all the failed hydros I can get my hands on. I have not seen it yet, but he using them as yard ornamentation/fence/retaining wall the way people used to use concrete test cylinders. Of course he repaints them and buys classic dive stickers off EBAY to trick them out.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Quote Originally Posted by Rileybri View Post
    I am so doing that. Wife even said it was cool. I just need a boot for my Steel 72 now.

Grouper
    I know my wife would "approve" of the mailbox, but maybe not the lamp. Then again I could put it in my home office...she hates coming in, she says it is a wreck, I say it is my own system of filing

Shark
    The local shop has some IU students doing art majors paint there bad tanks up with fish and such then sells them for 75 bucks. HE told me right now the al is worth 50 bucks around here so 25 bucks for the paint job. HE said most people buy them to show off their divers and he said he had one guy buy two one a lamp and one for coin bank.

So I am sure your wife would be happier if you lost the stickers and yellow paint for a nice art design

I have a custom painted tank I do not dive with, but I want to bore the bottom out of it, and make it into a Kegerator. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information