Thread: Oceanic Atom 2 download issues

Barracuda ST-Forum Mod dallasdivergirl's Avatar

Oceanic Atom 2 download issues

Finally got the laptop and the dive computer and the download cable in the same room

My laptop is originally vista (don't get me started, nothing would talk to vista drove me nuts) but I have windows 7 now.

All it tells me when I try to download dives is USB Interface not found. Testing hasn't worked and I tried the original cd from the box as well as the one from the website.

Has anyone had the same issues? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
    Sparky the ninjita
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

http://beautybelow.com/

Guppy Founding Member
    Both my laptops are Vista and I've had no connectivity problems (with Ocean log) due to the operating system. Unsure if Oceanlog is adapted for 7 yet but have heard of some success using the Vista 64 bit driver.

Oceanic Worldwide - Owner Services - Software

I'm using Oceanlog on my laptop that is running Windows 7 32 bit. I've had a few connectivity quirks, sometimes I have to unplug the download cable a couple times and plug it back in before the software recognizes that it's plugged in. I haven't tried it on my other laptop running 64 bit yet.

Also, a big problem with Oceanlog on Windows 7 is that it writes the log data and any exports to the C:\Program files\Oceanic\... directory, which is poorly designed since you can only write to these locations when you are running as an administrator, which isn't the default on Windows Vista/7 any more. If you aren't running the software as an administor the program will work, but the data files will be hidden since it's not supposed to be writing to this location. Then if you run it as an Administrator it won't find your previously saved data since it's stored in a protected area. I realize this software is probably a decade old, but they really need to quit saving data to the Program Files directory, we've been telling developers not to do this since around 2000...

I'm also less than impressed by OceanLog functionality from the standpoint of how poor the user interface is. It looks like something written in the 90s and is less than helpful in seeing your data in any meaningful way.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnaBoxer View Post
    Both my laptops are Vista and I've had no connectivity problems (with Ocean log) due to the operating system. Unsure if Oceanlog is adapted for 7 yet but have heard of some success using the Vista 64 bit driver.

Oceanic Worldwide - Owner Services - Software

I am re-downloading that hopefully it will work. It was late, I was tired. I have my fingers crossed.
    Sparky the ninjita

Grouper
    Images
    I have Windows 7 64bit with the latest version of Oceanlog.
    Once you are sure you have the correct driver version for your version of windows (32 or 64 bit) if you have another issue try plugging the download adapter into a different USB port on your laptop.
    Opinions are like gas... We're all entitled to some but people appreciate you keeping it to yourself if it stinks!

Quote Originally Posted by rawalker View Post
    I have Windows 7 64bit with the latest version of Oceanlog.
    Once you are sure you have the correct driver version for your version of windows (32 or 64 bit) if you have another issue try plugging the download adapter into a different USB port on your laptop.
    I must not have the correct driver, I can't even open it now. I get a run time error.

In good news I did get my Mom's video camera working with the laptop I gave her. She thought she had gone on vacation and came back with no pictures.
    Sparky the ninjita

TadPole
    If you are using Windows 7 change the application icon to run as XP sp3 and run as administrator. That is how I got mine to work.

Thread Information