Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new diver with buddy issues

TadPole
    I agree with you Struagen I do not want to push her to do something she does not want to do. But she likes snorkeling and I am hoping she will want to get back into a class after a few diving trips.

TadPole
    Normally: Salem, Oregon - Currently Baghdad Iraq

Talking Been there done that.

OMG, laughed for 30 minutes, its happened to me. not once, twice.

Quote Originally Posted by gNats View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R-brink View Post
    During the pool phase of the class we were working on removing our mask and she got a lot of chlorine water up here nose, causing her sinus passages to completely closed. This made it so she could not blow any air out of her nose. and it kind of upset her so I am working on her trying to get her back into it. I think will take a while though.
    Let her know that skill and the water up her nose happens to 9 out of 10 divers. It really has to do with HOW you take the mask off.

I was doing a pool tec dive wearing doubles in 6 ft of water. Without thinking, during the mask removal drill, I just yanked my mask off. Why not? I have no fear or alarm at not having a mask on my face. Well, by YANKING it off, I pushed water up my nose and sat there on the bottom completely baffled and bolted for the surface.

DUAH.

Review the technique with her by flooding the mask by pulling away the top of the skirt gently.

It's really one of those things she will laugh at later on. We all do it at one time or another, even with 100's of dives under our belts.

Here's another to share with her. I completed my Rescue course recently. During the course, I used a snorkle on my mask for the first time since Sept 2008 (about 1 dive after being certified). I'm playing at the surface breathing through the snorkle acting like a dork. Everyone decides to head down, I let the air out of my wing (see where this is going?)

and, yep. At 4 ft I took a breath and received NOTHING. (Thank goodness I have a really cool and expensive snorkle that closes when under water).

I was laughed at for hours.

I hope my stories let her know that while at the time the situation is not funny, over time it becomes an "I can't believe I did THAT" story. Also, the mask skill is one of the more challenging, so she shouldn't feel alone.

TadPole

Dive Buddy

Hey,
    I am just returning to diving after a long break. I am going to Florida panhandle in a couple of weeks from Wednesday to Saturday to dive some of the springs. I don't have any diving buddies anymore. Want to go?

TadPole
    thanks for the offer diver68 but i am going to have to decline I will be in Colorodo

TadPole

I am in Rowlett So any time you want to dive local

I have every other weekend free starting this weekend and can make time if you give me a heads up. I have my own gear and keep a full tank. Just let me know.

TadPole
    I am going to go to CSSP on July 31 and August 1. COme on out.

TadPole
    Hey diver68 I will have that weekend free, do you mind if I join you?

TadPole
    I will have to check with my securtary (wife) but i might be able to do that.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    I have a different perspective on this. A person should NEVER dive as a hobby to make someone else happy. I am glad my wife loves it as much as I do, but if she didn't I would consider it a bad idea to coerce her into it. There is a fine line and I see nothing wrong with getting the person certified so they can try it, but if they showed no interest after that best to let that dog lie.
    Agreed. My wife has tried diving with me but it produces too much anxiety for her. So the door is always open if she wants to walk through it, otherwise I'm not going to pressure her into getting certified just to be my buddy.
    Your results may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by R-brink View Post
    I agree with you Struagen I do not want to push her to do something she does not want to do. But she likes snorkeling and I am hoping she will want to get back into a class after a few diving trips.
    I was 'coerced' into taking the OW class by my DH .... took him maybe 2-3 years to get me to go. I too liked snorkeling and thought that was enough. I have kicked myself innumerable times since then for not getting certified sooner. I'm now more of an addict than he is. (As noted by my time on this Forum! LOL!) Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but what worked for me was finding a trainer I really liked and felt comfortable with. In my case, I wanted a female trainer (since I perceived -erroneously - diving as a guys sport.) I also wanted the DH to stay out of my way during class, but that's a whole other issue!

Since then, we've done almost all of our dives as buddies, with each of us having a few here & there with other divers. But when it comes down to it, I think - for us anyway - you can't have a better buddy than your spouse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information