Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goliath Grouper

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Misses View Post
    Wow, she is full of it. So full that it comes out of her mouth.

Rare fish my arse. They are everywhere in FL. I usually dive 3 tanks on Saturdays. I can not recall the last time that I did not see at least one Goliath.
    Ya think, LOL. The reporter is really the one that jacked up the story.

YouTube - 20000 pounds of grouper

I heard about this "rare grouper" story when I got in the office. Searched and found the story.
    If you bypass the talking head and go to the second video, it is better.

Normally, Jay Cashmere would have handled that story. He is a Jupiter diver and surfer and would have known better.

I expect we'll be seeing permits down the road to take some of these beasts.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitlip View Post
    There is no way that I would eat a big goliath. If they issue permits I would go out and find a 20-30 lb one for table fare.

I heard a comment about a 400+ lb warsaw grouper. "You would take a bite and it would get bigger in your mouth."

I got a 45lb black grouper last year. I was not impressed with the quality of the belly meat. It was very fatty. The top fillets were good.
    * If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes *

Megalodon
    Images
    Wow, she is full of it. So full that it comes out of her mouth.

Rare fish my arse. They are everywhere in FL. I usually dive 3 tanks on Saturdays. I can not recall the last time that I did not see at least one Goliath.
    Ya think, LOL. The reporter is really the one that jacked up the story.

YouTube - 20000 pounds of grouper

I heard about this "rare grouper" story when I got in the office. Searched and found the story.
    If you bypass the talking head and go to the second video, it is better.

Normally, Jay Cashmere would have handled that story. He is a Jupiter diver and surfer and would have known better.

It could have been that she did the story (why didin't she interveiw the goliath????) Jay laughed at her and said it was not uncommon but she ran with it anyway, giving it a "Pulitzer Spin"...

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    There is no way that I would eat a big goliath. If they issue permits I would go out and find a 20-30 lb one for table fare.

I heard a comment about a 400+ lb warsaw grouper. "You would take a bite and it would get bigger in your mouth."

I got a 45lb black grouper last year. I was not impressed with the quality of the belly meat. It was very fatty. The top fillets were good.
    Agree completely about large grouper.

Plus the worms..
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

I fall into the WTF land on this one as well... bad reporting has just become too common place... even more so than this "rare fish" which can be a dozen or more on some wreck sites in the area.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    I fall into the WTF land on this one as well... bad reporting has just become too common place... even more so than this "rare fish" which can be a dozen or more on some wreck sites in the area.
    Yeah, it's a touch OTT. But we're not the target market. I'd far rather see "Wow, awesome rare fish" stuff than yet another "OMG Killer Sharks!!" story. At least this tries to capture some of the sense of wonder you get from diving rather than playing on unjustified fears.
    Some franchises just never make it... CSI:Wagga Wagga was one of them.

Problem is it points to accuracy in reporting. Might as well have posted this in one of those rags that talk about alien cow mutilation. I guess we brought this on ourselves tuning into news bunnies and watching trials such as OJs endlessly. CNN seemed like such a good idea at the time and now we have Fox and sadly even it is getting upstaged by even bigger loonies... Beck. Sad when O'Rielly is the leftest on a news channel.

Megalodon
    Images
    Who here remembers the "Cabbit" A meida frenzy about a have rabbit, half cat. Those in the know looked at it and immediately identified it as a Manx-a tailless breed of cat. Even after a good number of folks reported the mistake, the Main Stream Media still ran with the story of a week...

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information