Thread: 10 dives in 3 days! (Guam)

10 dives in 3 days! (Guam)

Liveaboard vacation? NO! I just am lucky enough to live in Guam!

I believe we covered every inch of Tumon Bay between our 4 boat dives and 6 shore dives (one at night) over this past 3-day weekend.....saw sharks and turtles and barracuda and lots of giant parrotfish -yay for marine preserves.

I have sore legs, a little sunburn, blisters on my toes, and I am most certainly waterlogged - but it was a fabulous, watery send off for my DB/Spouse who is headed off to Afghanistan tomorrow morning for a 6 month deployment.

I have got to get over there. What is the best time of year to visit?

Please pass to your Dive Buddy/Spouse: Kick a$$, stay safe, and we'll see you back in the water in 6 months.

And for you, rkj, thanks for your service keeping the home fires burning while he's over there taking care of business. We could not do it without support from those like you.
    Chilly

Megalodon
    Images
    Glad to know it was some great dives. Please thank your DB/Spouse for thier service! Keep head down and come back to those nice waters safely.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    I have got to get over there. What is the best time of year to visit?

Please pass to your Dive Buddy/Spouse: Kick a$$, stay safe, and we'll see you back in the water in 6 months.

And for you, rkj, thanks for your service keeping the home fires burning while he's over there taking care of business. We could not do it without support from those like you.
    Seriously, there isn't a bad time to visit - the water is always about 80 degrees, and we just choose our sites based on the way the waves look that day - if one site is too choppy, we can be at another with totally different conditions in less than 15 minutes.

.....but if I were to pick the best time, I would say April/May/June. The Mantas are plentiful, we're not in Typhoon season and the Northern dive sites are open (because the currents are weaker).

Here's our LDS website - great for travel planning or just daydreaming! Guam & Micronesia Pacific Scuba Diving.

and thanks to you and Navy for the good wishes for the hubby - I'll pass them along....this is his third deployment in four years and it doesn't get any easier.....

Shark
    Images
    I am glad you are happy diving in Guam, for me- the diving there was rather mediocre. The really neat thing is how close you are to some of the greatest diving in the world, Phillipines, Palau, and the dive I really wanted to do, but just no time, the USS Saratoga in Marshall Islands. (The only divable aircraft carrier in the world, so I am told.)

Sine Timore!

Quote Originally Posted by scubastud View Post
    I am glad you are happy diving in Guam, for me- the diving there was rather mediocre. The really neat thing is how close you are to some of the greatest diving in the world, Phillipines, Palau, and the dive I really wanted to do, but just no time, the USS Saratoga in Marshall Islands. (The only divable aircraft carrier in the world, so I am told.)

I certainly will admit I'm a little biased about our dive sites.....and we are definitely planning a Palau trip in March when my DB returns from the desert....I have diving friends that say the Palau trip will ruin us for Guam diving, but I'm hoping that isn't true - we'll still be here for a couple of years yet!

We do have a wide variety of wrecks and reefs here though - and mostly it's just awesome to be able to walk out the door and be underwater in minutes.

Not many of my stateside pals would have been able to log over 50 dives in 5 months!

Grouper
    I have heard the same thing about friends that have traveled to Palau and returned to Guam. I am yearning to make the trek to Palau.

I'll be headed to Palau in April, so then I can compare - but considering most of my scuba pals are not diving at all in the cold weather - I'll take Guam anyday!!

rkj1969,

Merry Christmas! Is the Dive Spouse still deployed?
    Chilly

Merry Christmas to you! Yes - DiveSpouse is still deployed - should be back in February, I hope!!

Especially since the Palau trip includes him! lol

Thread Information