Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip report Little Cayman Beach Resort

Long Tailed Thresher Shark

Trip report Little Cayman Beach Resort

Hello all,

Fresh off of my favorite dive vacation yet!

I went to the LCBR with a dive shop group. Our cost was 1645 which included 17 dives, 60 each for 2 optional night dives, plus airfare. I did 18 dives during the week.

I LOVED this resort. I'm used to NC offshore diving. It is hard work. At the LCBR, we set up our gear the first time, and after that, our BCs/Regs were taken care of FOR us. They switched out our tanks, brought our gear to the dive deck, picked it up from the dive deck, etc. We just had to get on the boat, dive, dive, and dive. Then we just grabbed our bags, rinsed everything but our BCs/Regs, and hung it up near the dock to dry.

The food was great, the chef was a homeboy trained at the CIA in New York.

The resort was nice. We had a room with two doubles, it was hotel nice, the grounds were well kept, there was a pool, a hot tub, a bar, and my favorite, HAMMOCKS right by the water.

The diving was great, the reefs in good condition, and the marine life plentiful and diverse. I had to get used to not seeing much large marine life, but once I trained my eyes to look for the small stuff, I was in heaven. Tons of turtles, reef fish, an occasional reef/nurse shark, lobsters, crabs, decorator crabs (those are cool), gorgeous coral, octopi, squid, tiny cleaner crabs, and so on.

Without a doubt, my favorite dive was one of the night dives. We were puttering around and for some reason I shone my light up at the surface. I thought I saw a school of baitfish, but my light made their eyes translucent, and when I approached, I saw that their bodies were translucent pink. It was a school of small squid, up from the deep to play with us. It was amazing and beautiful. That same dive we also fed bloodworms to the coral as they bunched around our lights. Turning the lights of entirely provided for some gorgeous nighttime ocean fireworks.

There is nothing else to do on LC but dive and relax. As one of our group said though, it felt like 2 weeks of vacation in only one. I was blissfully happy that my phone didn't work there.

I'm already plotting to go back!

Grouper
    Tamalewood (Albuquerque NM), United States
    Images
    sounds like a fantastic dive trip!

robin

Shark
    Sounds like you had a good time. I thought the resort was nice and the food exceptional.

Shark
    Images
    How would this resort be to go with non-diving spouses??
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation. If you dont like this signature I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!

Sounds wonderful Lulu!! You're gonna get spoiled with tropical diving where they wait on you hand & foot! Not a bad thing!!!!

Funeral Jorunna
    Glad you had a good time. Little Cayman is one of my favorite spots in the Caribbean.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rileybri View Post
    How would this resort be to go with non-diving spouses??
    Depends on the spouse. There is nothing to do but dive, kajak, read, hammock, swim in the pool, bicycle, etc. Very elemental.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Kat View Post
    Sounds wonderful Lulu!! You're gonna get spoiled with tropical diving where they wait on you hand & foot! Not a bad thing!!!!
    Damn straight it is a good thing. I'm a middle child, I have not ever been spoiled and I quite liked it!

This place has been on our radar and thanks to reports like yours might make it onto the 2011 trip list.

Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    This place has been on our radar and thanks to reports like yours might make it onto the 2011 trip list.
    The rooms were recently refurbished too, and they were "grown up" nice and very comfortable beds.

Shark
    Images
    Welcome to the SBWS club (shallow,bright warm and sober as opposed to DDCN).

Sine Timore!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information