Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English Be Difficult

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images

English Be Difficult

Lead

When you read that word, did you "hear" it in your mind as "leed" or "led"? Depending upon context, it can be "heard" either way. When you saw the word "read" in the first sentence: "reed" or "red"?

For those of us who are native speakers of English, we wonder why visitors to our shores cannot learn our language. After all, were we to move to their country, we'd learn theirs, right?

In the other romance languages, vowels, letters, and sylables are always pronounced the same. For instance, look at Spanish. The word "caliente". Were we to apply "normal" English rules of pronounciation ("first vowel does the talking, second does the walking"), this would be "cal - leent". To those of us in the border states (Tx, Ca, Az, NM), it's "ca li en tay". In Spanish, every vowel is pronounced; in English, sometimes Yes, sometimes No.

English language structure is complex. Look at something like the Future Past Perfect Gerund verb form...good god almighty!! An example would be: By this time tomorrow, I will have been diving for an hour. How do we expect anybody to learn that?

Besides "they're", "there", and "their", what other complexities of convoluted language can you think of?
    rick

Moderator ST-Forum Mod WV Diver's Avatar
    Images
    Reminds me of this shirt I saw the other day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WV Diver; 09-09-2007 at 17:04.

1-877-728-2243
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgment.

A series of unrecognized mistakes does not constitute experience.

I'm a NMOF and proud of it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Moderator ST-Forum Mod WV Diver's Avatar
    Images
    Sorry had a technical difficulty.

1-877-728-2243
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgment.

A series of unrecognized mistakes does not constitute experience.

I'm a NMOF and proud of it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Barracuda
    Images
    And not to mention the Americanised version of English compared to proper Queens English.

Then again no one understands a couple of aussies talking Occa (Aussie Slang).

Simple add some swear words and the odd "bloody" and "mate" and your half way there.

Aussie

Which red witch read to their two children there too?

Grouper
    Images
    I have lots of European colleagues that find English much easier than their native tongue, say German or French. For example English has few articles "the", "a" and "an" (all of which can go with any noun). German has der (masculine), die (feminine) and das (neuter); plus ein (masculine and neuter) and eine (feminine and plural) (and every noun has a gender that follows no rule as to it's assignment), but each of these has many forms der (nomitave), den (accusative), dem (genitive) depending on the usage and each of these changes the ending of the word they come before, like der freund, die freundin.

I'm sure I screwed some of that up, so I hope the German folks will forgive me. Verzeihung sie ihnen, mein Deutsch is nicht so gut.

But my real excuse is, that if every state spoke a different language, we would all be multi-lingual because we would have to be.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Suther2136,

Ich spreche auch Deutsch.

I find German makes more sense because EVERY letter is pronounced. And it is ALWAYS pronounced the same way. In English, as I mention above, the same combination of letters can be pronounced differently depending upon context. In German, the case declensions and verb conjugations clearly indicate who is doing to whom with what.

Modern German youth are becoming sloppy in their speech. They are purposely failing to decline nouns based upon gender or even case. They often simply use the Neuter form regardless of gender. Subject, direct object, and indirect object must be derived from context, like English.
    rick

Grouper
    Images
    Many languages are doing that. I was on a business trip recently and sat across from some Indian folks. They were speaking in Bengali but injected English into the speech fairly regularly. I asked them what the language was and they told me it was "Benglish", kinda like Spanglish. Turns out that this is becoming more common. Some folks from Sri Lanka speak "Singlish" (Sinhalese and English). I think the world is losing it culture a bit, kind of a shame.

Well...I think you also have to look at the region of the country you are talking...mainly North and South. Both regions have their own versions of the same words. If you ever want to be confused listen to a Southern and a Northern have a conversation it is bad....lol
    Always left holding the fins!!!!

Barracuda Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post

To those of us in the border states (Tx, Ca, Az, NM), it's "ca li en tay". In Spanish, every vowel is pronounced; in English, sometimes Yes, sometimes No.
    you forgot FL, we share a border with Cuba.
    Danilo

If anyone has the winning lottery numbers for next week, please send me a PM with those numbers.
    Thanks.
    -Black-Gorrilla!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information