Thread: How much air to breathe in before a free-dive?

Guppy

How much air to breathe in before a free-dive?

I'm now experimenting a little bit with free-diving. Intuitively I breathe in as much air as possible, filling my lungs to the max, then dive down, in order to maximize time in water. However this way my chest feels a lot of pressure.

If I take a smaller breadth, my chest feels more comfortable, but I imagine I have less air to last.

How do you folks do it?

Barracuda
    Images
    i suck in as much air as possible. but then again, i'm no professional. my deepest is ~45 feet. i also don't feel any uncomfortable pressure...
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

Barracuda
    I've been told to hyperventilate 3 times then take a normal breath before submerging to eliminate the carbon dioxide from your system as this is what triggers your need to breathe rather than the amount of oxygen in your lungs. This can also cause shallow water blackouts so I wouldn't try this alone. There are a number of really good free-diving classes out there... I would recommend you look for one.

I was guaranteed 60' on my first class even though my max ever has been ~20-25'
    3/4 of the Earth are covered by water and 1/4 by land. Clearly God intended us to spend 3 times as much time fishing and diving than mowing the lawn. - Wiz

Megalodon
    Images
    I have no idea what the experts are saying nowadays, but like big_budd, I do as full of air as I can get and I was good to about 50'-60' n my younger days-only 30' these days.

Getting one of the books on freediving might be the best recourse as you can get advice from the experts-the folks that literally go 100'+ for minutes at a time. In all honesty, the level of knowledge on the physiology of free diving has improved so much in the last years, I can't really say what's the best.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    I am a recreational freediver for hunting. I never hyperventilate or fill lungs above normal capacity. State of mind has a lot to do with it. I calm myself down and breath slow "somewhat normal" deep diaphragm breaths. When I am relaxed/calm, I submerge, spit my snorkel out and breath out a few bubbles.

Beginner Freediving

Grouper
    Some things to think about.

How calm and relaxed can you get if:

Saltwater is sloshing in your mouth every time water washes overhead into your snorkel.

You think you have to kill something or get your limit of abalone before returning to shore rather than just enjoying your time with friends on the water. Or if solo just enjoy the swim and do not worry about coming back empty handed.

Breathing and breath holding in an abnormal way such as hyperventilating or overfilling lungs.

Leaking or foggy mask, ill fitting tight or loose gear, weight belt moving around, sloppy fin footpockets, cold water leaking in wetsuit, sun overheating neck and back, cold finger tips, etc.

Shark
    Images
    I hyper oxygenate (take really deep breaths) my blood then the last breath before going under is a normal breath. You blood can hold WAY more O2 than your lungs can so put as much in your system as you can.
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation. If you dont like this signature I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!

3 deep breathes then hold it in and go.
    But then again I am just getting started and have no training.
    Glub glub glub.....

Grouper
    It may be safer to read DeeperBlue's "How to start Freediving" thread.

Beginner Freediving

Abalone opens August 1. Be careful out there and have fun.

Shark
    with my air consumption I would likely make it to 5 feet with my feet out of the water and pop up gasping for air

Thread Information