Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: amazing how our eatting habits can change

Shark
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Pete View Post
    We are doing this for the first time this year. We just moved to a rural north suburb of Chicago, and along with that change we wanted to start eating local. We have always eaten fairly well. My girl is a veggie. So i am a mostly veggie. so with the combination of no red meat and less animal fats which by the way if you dont know there was a neat little TED talk about meat. The fat on our bodies come directly from the animals we consume. Animal fats are solid at body tempurature. Vegitable fats are liquid and are easier to eliminate. Obviouslt if you eat enough vegitables you will become over weight because your body will store all the excess calories in the form of fat. Any way, we found a local organic farm stand that is in one of the forest preserves up here. The farm is opperated as an afterschool type program for the intercity kids in the area. The prices are rediculously cheap and the quality is pretty good. Much better than you would get at your local grocery. So far making the changes we have made i can tell i have lost weight i dont own a scale so i dont know how much. I have more energy and i dont want to sit down and watch tv. Plus we dont have cable so i cant. Overall a much healthier lifestyle overall. I would recomend eating local and organic whenever possible.
    That is the way to do it brother! Keep its going... You can also look for local farms (I bet you would be surprised what you find not to far away) that offer CSA's or Community Supported Agriculture. Basically you buy a small piece of the farms over all yearly harvest. Hear in VT locally they are so popular you have to get your CSA early. For $225 a year we get biweekly produce drops (we pick it up in the afternoon at the local middle school) usually consists of what ever is in season veg. wise with some special stuff thrown in as well. Needless to say it usually more then we can eat (extras get shared with neighbors or donated to food shelf). for an additional fee depending on what you want you can add farm fresh eggs, cheese, pork, chicken, lamb, yogurt, honey and just about anything else you could want. In the summer we basically use the grocery store for diapers and basic staples. It is also state law the %50 of school meals come from fresh local food sources. many schools in Chittenden Co. exceed 75% and have community gardens of there own. Probably also why Vermont was ranked as the healthiest state in the country.
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation. If you dont like this signature I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!

Shark
    Might have something there buddy, I noticed after I ate the mcbreakfest. (steak bagel) I was nauseous and tired. Today I ate some chicken patties breaded but lightly, they where in the freezer and it was that or fried eggs as I was in a hurry.

We try and buy local aswell. We got some cantalope from two local farmers and they where the best I have had so much juice I had to have a bowl to eat them over.

Thanks guys means alot one pound at a time one day at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by fab50diver View Post
    Just a thought...if you still have your gall bladder, eating a high fat food following days or weeks of good healthy eating will cause it to act up.

Shark
    sounds like you guys have it going on up there. We go south of our town to a bigger city and 15 of the 20 miles is lined with farms from berry farms, vegs, fruits to apple orchards and a few cow and hog farms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileybri View Post
    That is the way to do it brother! Keep its going... You can also look for local farms (I bet you would be surprised what you find not to far away) that offer CSA's or Community Supported Agriculture. Basically you buy a small piece of the farms over all yearly harvest. Hear in VT locally they are so popular you have to get your CSA early. For $225 a year we get biweekly produce drops (we pick it up in the afternoon at the local middle school) usually consists of what ever is in season veg. wise with some special stuff thrown in as well. Needless to say it usually more then we can eat (extras get shared with neighbors or donated to food shelf). for an additional fee depending on what you want you can add farm fresh eggs, cheese, pork, chicken, lamb, yogurt, honey and just about anything else you could want. In the summer we basically use the grocery store for diapers and basic staples. It is also state law the %50 of school meals come from fresh local food sources. many schools in Chittenden Co. exceed 75% and have community gardens of there own. Probably also why Vermont was ranked as the healthiest state in the country.

Grouper
    The whole "getting sick after fried food after a long time" is such a blessing. It helped me drop weight so quickly even though I was only like 15-20 pounds over weight (from what I wanted, a 6 pack).

I can't even drink soda very easily anymore.

Shark
    I have came to hat soda. Now some like rootbeer, orange and grape I can stand anything dark like coke or pepsi I hate. I cut out pop ohh 6 or so years ago and I think it is what keep me from going diabetic so long. I dropped 20 pounds in a month doing it. I pick up one on a trip every so often but I would guess 2 or 3 a month tops
    Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    The whole "getting sick after fried food after a long time" is such a blessing. It helped me drop weight so quickly even though I was only like 15-20 pounds over weight (from what I wanted, a 6 pack).

I can't even drink soda very easily anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information