Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YMCA OW Certified

Guppy
    Images

YMCA OW Certified

I was certified OW 2 years ago by a friend of a friend who is a YMCA instructor with 30+ years of diving. My boyfriend completed his certification today by the same lady. Is anyone else out there YMCA certified? She is very good, very safe. She would show us stuff that was required back in the day and that is not required any more.

Her classes seem to run long but I don't have anything to compare them to. My bf had 4 days of lecture and pool classes lasting 6 hours each day and 2 days of checkout dives with 2 dives per day.

I want my AOW and she is willing to teach us both, but in YMCA there is another level before AOW - must have 14 dives... can't remember that name and then the AOW. I don't know what is involved for AOW. Is there a step between OW and AOW in other certs?

I don't want shortcuts, but she tends to get distracted at times and seems to take longer to get the teaching done. I think I might want another instructor who stays more on task. Don't really want a long, drawn out procedure. Any suggestions?

Barracuda
    Images
    Each agency is different..
    You can't really say one agency is better then another, it really all comes down to the instructor..

So if you found a good instructor which sounds like you have - stick with them!

Grouper
    Yes, I have the YMCA cert with my wife and two teenagers. We all did the course this past spring and have been trying to get some dives in over the summer. We figured we would try for one of the other certs next spring so that we would be able to get acclimated to our equipment and feel comfortable in the water.

I remember reading about the different levels, but can't remember what they are right now. I'll have to look in my book tonight when I get home.

Scooter McFly

Barracuda Founding Member
    http://www.ymcascuba.org/
    Open Water Diver
    Open Water Diver II
    Advanced Open Water Diver
    Silver Advanced Diver
    Gold Master Diver

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    I have the YMCA OW cert-got it last spring. I thought the instructor and classes were great and look forward to doing AOW next year. There are some specialty courses I would like to take as well and I plan on using the same instructor as he was an excellent teacher.
    Never Underestimate....

OW, AOW, NITROX

Guppy
    I am a YMCA diver. And I disagree about the statement that "It's only about the instructor." Some agencies have more stringent requirements than others. Those that have higher standards to receive your OW will certify more competant and safer divers.
    DSSW,

Dennis

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisW View Post
    I am a YMCA diver. And I disagree about the statement that "It's only about the instructor." Some agencies have more stringent requirements than others. Those that have higher standards to receive your OW will certify more competant and safer divers.
    I agree that the FAR longer YMCA course allows for far more thorough instruction than your average course with the bigger agencies.

That said, I do have to disagree with you, and posit that a good instructor is worth more than long class.

A good instructor who is teaching a long course, however, is the best of both worlds. I have found YMCA instructors in general to be very good... on average, far better than your average PADI instructor. (Realize the numbers are not in PADI's favor, here... there are thousands of PADI instructors and probably only a few hundred YMCA instructors, max).

I recently assisted a YMCA class with a fantastic, old-school instructor, Tom Wetzel. I was VERY impressed by the thoroughness of his course compared to PADI courses I have assisted with. Given the relatively large amount of time the YMCA gives, however, since they are not in it for profit, this is not really surprising. They still use a lot of old-school training techniques that PADI dropped many years ago in favor of "streamlining" their courses, and making them "more accessible" (read: they made the classes easier and dropped the tougher skills so they could sell more classes).

All that said, I think perhaps the YMCA classes aren't for everyone. If someone's interest in scuba is tenuous at best, some might find the rigorous nature of the class to be off-putting. (I will be having my wife trained in a PADI course, for instance, because she's not really the type who will like that sort of extra work, and if I want her to be able to enjoy it, it needs to be made to seem as easy as possible.) If you're up to the challenge, however, you can get some outstanding training there.

Guppy
    A good course has nothing to do with a long class, however, in order to make a diver competent and safe, there are certain skills that need to be taught in basic OW. A weekend course can't do that, there just isn't enough time. If someone's interest in diving is tenuous at best, maybe they should stay on the boat. Now, before I get flamed on that statement, if a weekend course will get someone interested enough to take the full up course, then go ahead and do it. However, then go take a real course so you can be a safe diver and dive buddy.
    DSSW,

Dennis

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

Grouper
    Images
    I'm also YMCA certed. The classes have a few advantages 1) The YMCA actually requires you to be able to swim a fair distance as part of the cert, we had to swim (no fins, no nothing) 8 laps in our pool which is roughly 1/3 mile. 2) the longer class time, I think, gives you more opportunity to get the basics down and practice basic skills. We also did five open water dives to complete the class. Yes the basic info is the same for PADI and NAUI but I have found that a skill practiced for a longer period of time is a skill better learned.

Barracuda Founding Member
    A good instructor goes along ways, but a certifiying agency that has more stringent standards goes even longer as it will consistently pump out better divers instead of leaving newbies running getting peoples opinions on who is a good isntructor or not.

and if you only have an OW cert, then you have no idea what a good instructor is... anyone that had a good time getting through OW thinks they had an awesome instructor, anyone that struggled thinks they had a crap instructor.

takes experiences with different instructors to realize how good or bad your OW one really was... people often get bad opinions from OW only cert'd people on who their "awesome" instructor was.

sorry to get so far off topic, I just think YMCA is one of the better agencies out there after have reading their standards. (i don't hold any YMCA certs nor have I ever taken a YMCA class)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information