Thread: Dive / Signalling Mirrors

Barracuda
    Images

Dive / Signalling Mirrors

I have had terrible luck finding a signalling mirrir that lasts. After just a few dives, I see water intrusion between the layers. First the silver turns black and then it desolves completely.

I pulled my mirror out two days ago, and all that was left were the 2 pieces of plastic (front & back). The "glue" and silver were completely gone.

This was the last one http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...DUCT_ID=Mirror
    * If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes *

I have an older steel shaving mirror that should work, absent any aiming devise of course. I would think camping/outdoor stores would have them as well

Barracuda
    Images
    Yes, a SS mirror would work. The question is...what grade of SS? It needs to be marine grade (high chromium) in order to survive salt water.

Guppy
    I'm glad this post was started. I have been thinking of buying a signal mirror, but was wondering which ones held up best under diving conditions. There are several out there that have the sight lenses designed for "survival" kits, but how well do they hold up under pressurized saltwater?

Quote Originally Posted by No Misses View Post
    I have had terrible luck finding a signalling mirrir that lasts. After just a few dives, I see water intrusion between the layers. First the silver turns black and then it desolves completely.

I pulled my mirror out two days ago, and all that was left were the 2 pieces of plastic (front & back). The "glue" and silver were completely gone.

This was the last one Signal Mirror reviews and discounts, Trident
    I've been diving with the same military-type signal mirror for several seasons with no degradation of the structure or the silver between the plastic. The worst that's happened is the instructions have rubbed off the back.

Have you tried finding a military-issue mirror at the Army Surplus store?
    Chilly

Barracuda
    Images
    If you are a DAN member they sell one that will have your information and mirror together. I have one. It may look a little funny but if you have dive accident and are not conscious it may help to identify you (or your corpse as I told my wife!).

Barracuda
    Images
    Here is a picure of the last mirror that I carried. Do you see the little 1/4" spot of silver?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guppy
    Wow. That's the Trident mirror, huh? I was thinking of getting one of these: Ultimate Survival Technologies | Survival Equipment
    Don't know if it would hold up any better or not.

Here's the one I believe Chilly was talking about: Military Glass Signal Mirror
    Sounds like a good mirror; but being glass, I would be concerned about it breaking in a dive bag.

Thread Information