Thread: Diving in/around Wichita Falls, TX?

Guppy

Diving in/around Wichita Falls, TX?

I have a buddy that just got into USAF Tec school in Wichita Falls, and I am planning to visit him a few times while he is there. We would like to get some diving in while I'm there if at all possible. I did a quick search and found several dive shops in that area and a good sized lake, but i have not really seen any specific info on dive spots.

Any tips you TX divers can give me would be appreciated. thanks!
    "Nothing in this world is so hard to fix, and no problem so difficult to solve, that it can't be overcome by brute force and ignorance." -RogerAg

Grouper
    Images
    Lake Elmer Thomas is down the road near Lawton, Oklahoma (Ft. Sill area). It's OK. As lake diving goes it's not the best - some people like it.

This is a good site for finding lake diving information in different states. www.lakediver.com - believe it's actually run by a forum member.
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Guppy
    does Elmer have any specific dive areas, or just allows diving in the general swimming areas?

EDIT: Looking at your link also
    "Nothing in this world is so hard to fix, and no problem so difficult to solve, that it can't be overcome by brute force and ignorance." -RogerAg

Grouper
    Images
    Lake Diver freshwater lakes, rivers, quarries, and springs scuba diving resources including maps, reviews, and comments. :: Lake Elmer Thomas

Diving is done at the Damn - I've heard someone say that there are other sites, but not sure where they are, or if they are shore accessible.

The vis listed on the site seems a little higher than what I experienced. I've been there twice. One time we had pretty good vis, 4-5ft down to 25ft or so. I can't remember the other time.

I suspect that if you went 60-70ft deep (and it will be cold) and got past a couple of thermoclines, vis might open up if you brought a good light. I don't make it out there much.

It's likely a few hours from you, but I like clear springs scuba park (a privately owned lake) it's south east of Dallas...

Lake Diver freshwater lakes, rivers, quarries, and springs scuba diving resources including maps, reviews, and comments. :: Clear Springs Scuba

From your area you may want to look into diving the vahalla missle silo as well.

Lake Diver freshwater lakes, rivers, quarries, and springs scuba diving resources including maps, reviews, and comments. :: Valhalla Missile Silo
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Guppy
    Clear springs and Valhalla both sound interesting too, and within range. He is limited to a 250mi radius on his weekends off base, but all of the sites you mentioned fit that. Have you dove Valhalla? It seems almost like a dive just to say you've done it as there probably isn't much to see till you reach bottom. Not to mention bottom is deeper than I need to be diving right now (new diver).

Grouper
    Images
    Nope, never done it - agree it's something to try once - doubt I would do it more than that.

Clear springs I have gone to a couple of times (it's a 4 hour drive for me). There is camping onsite...there's no fishing, or really any water activity other than diving. The fish are plentiful. They have a few things sunk to go look at. The vis is good for a lake in this area (as high as 20ft, more like 10ft on average). Since most of the diving can be done in 30ft or less of water, a 3mil suit works well in the summer.

TadPole
    Possum Kingdom Lake TX & Lake Murray OK. Never dove them but both are suppost to have good viz. I know that Possum Kingdom known as lake PK to locals is a hotspot for hollidays and I've heard that its a good spot to look for lost goodies from holliday boat traffic.

Thread Information