Thread: Tobermory

Tobermory

I really want to give diving in Tobermory a try. One of the local shops has put together a dive charter but leaving it up to us to find accommodations.

Can anyone recommend places to stay in Tobermory? I typically don't like roughing it. Camping is out of the question. A nice motel or a small room with a kitchenette would be nice.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Grouper
    We stayed at the Coach House Inn. They are accomodating to divers (warning: some are not-dont like wet equipment in the rooms etc). Being a motel I was able to back my car right up to the door for easy loading/off loading. They serve a breakfeast but the other meals are your responsibility. The motel is not high end but the owners are very nice and its a 3 minute drive to the docks.

When is the trip Darrell, I would love to go up there again!
    People who look good with a mask on are usually ugly without one.

Aqua Sub is holding Dive Stock 2010 on the Labour Day long weekend (September 4-6).

However, after a little research and just having spent $2000 on gear/dive trip to Brockville I'm not so sure I can afford the trip to Tobermory.

The weekend of dives will be $260 (7 dives, one is a night dive). Cost of gas to get there, drive around and back home is almost $100. Fills for the tanks will be $54 (air) to $108 (nitrox). There is no pricing for the Coach House Inn but similar places look to be between $90 to $150 a night (higher costs for the long weekends). Three nights would be $270 to $450. If I can get someone to share the gas and room costs it would be $568 plus food (add taxes and I think it couild be $600). If I'm going the whole thing on my own, $768 plus food(add taxes and I think it could be $800). Finally $200 for food (I know a little high but I get hungry).

Looking at $800 to $1000 for a long weekend. That would be 7 dives. Averages out to $115 to $143 per dive. Ouch. Local shore dives are looking pretty good. I might volunteer as DM for my shop's OW and AOW classes. See if they'll cover my costs.

Do you have pricing for the Coach House Inn? Are they around $100 a night? Or less?

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    Aqua Sub is holding Dive Stock 2010 on the Labour Day long weekend (September 4-6).

However, after a little research and just having spent $2000 on gear/dive trip to Brockville I'm not so sure I can afford the trip to Tobermory.

The weekend of dives will be $260 (7 dives, one is a night dive). Cost of gas to get there, drive around and back home is almost $100. Fills for the tanks will be $54 (air) to $108 (nitrox). There is no pricing for the Coach House Inn but similar places look to be between $90 to $150 a night (higher costs for the long weekends). Three nights would be $270 to $450. If I can get someone to share the gas and room costs it would be $568 plus food (add taxes and I think it couild be $600). If I'm going the whole thing on my own, $768 plus food(add taxes and I think it could be $800). Finally $200 for food (I know a little high but I get hungry).

Looking at $800 to $1000 for a long weekend. That would be 7 dives. Averages out to $115 to $143 per dive. Ouch. Local shore dives are looking pretty good. I might volunteer as DM for my shop's OW and AOW classes. See if they'll cover my costs.

Do you have pricing for the Coach House Inn? Are they around $100 a night? Or less?
    I think the Coach house was around $100 but I was also receiving a discount through the shop.

Yea, I saw the details as well. I am in the same boat/wreck and can't justify another long weekend in Toby at the moment. If you are interested I would be willing to do a day trip. We could do a two tank afternoon dive? Then head home or do one night in toby and catch another 2 tank morning dive....OR......leave bloody early one morning and catch the first dive boat at 9am then the afternoon 1pm boat.....that might be pushing it a little lol

Here are what the dive shops offer for walk ons:

G+S Watersports Welcomes Individual Divers to Join our Boat Trips

Diver's Den

Dave

Hmm, if we do a two tank afternoon dive:

- $100 for the gas to get there and back
    - $75/per diver
    - $25 for food on the way up and food on the way down (Wendy's/Tims/McDonalds/etc.)

That could be doable. If we take my car and split the gas, $150 each for a two tank dive in Toby.

I was looking at the group rates for G+S. Half day (4 hours) is $500, max 12 divers. If we can get together 8 divers that would be $62.50 per diver. Cheaper than $75 for a walk-on and the boat would be a little roomier because it normally holds 12 divers.

Google Maps says it is a 4 hour drive but Highway #6 is under construction. If we get on the highway by 7am we should be able to make an afternoon two tank dive. Boat would be back to shore around 5pm. So we should be able to get back to Toronto by 10 or 11pm. I'd do a Saturday so I can sleep in the next day (assuming we go on a regular weekend with work on Monday).

Anyone else interested in doing a day trip to Toby?

Grouper
    I am good any date starting Sept 4 and on with the exception of Sept 11. I believe the dive season there runs until the end of October.

How about September 4th or 18th? September 4th is the long weekend and I would suspect Tobermory will be packed. We might have better luck September 18th.

Do you want to see if we can get together 6 more divers and book the boat for $500?

Anyone else interested in joining us for an afternoon dive in Tobermory?

Grouper
    Good thinking it will probably be a zoo on Sept 4
    Sept 18th is good for me.

TadPole
    Another vote for Ruth at the Coach House Inn. A great lady. Lots of room in the back and she has a pool.

Thread Information