Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NC wreck Diving, Trip Report, July 2010

Grouper
    Tamalewood (Albuquerque NM), United States
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ektess1 View Post
    Thanks for the report and pictures. Very well done.
    NC is someplace that I have never dove, but will.
    If you want WWII wrecks, you may want to consider the Pacific. You said that you are on the west coast. Travel should not be too unreasonable.
    We are not on the west coast, we are in New Mexico. Travel to Pacific wrecks, like in Micronesia, is long and very expensive. Our trip to Palau 3yrs ago was over $1400pp. Our trip to NC airfare on Southwest was free for Ron (he flies with them so much he earns free flights) and under $400 for me... so $2800 v $400 = BIG difference! Even if we had paid for Ron's ticket, it would have been 1/4 of the cost. Plus the trip to Micronesia took over 24 hours of flying each way, and ugly jetlag.

Go to NC if you can... It is awesome diving! But as I said, it is not for people who are uncomfortable with long boat rides, bouncy seas, and deeper depths with current. Although we had some newer divers on the boat with us, I really think it is best for more advanced divers in order to manage the depths and longer bottom times.

robin

Guppy
    Thank you for the great report!!! My wife and I have been talking about this very trip and found your report so thank you very much. We are planning it for the 4th of July week. Planning on driving the entire trip from Kansas so we can hit several of the Civil War battlefields on the way. That's what happens when you marry a history teacher. Just kidding I like it nearly as much as her, but I won't tell her that. We are looking forward to any of the WW2 wrecks for our experience and for her to share pics with her kiddos, so they can get a visual grasp on the reality of the wars. We are both very excited. Again, thanks for the report.
    Rob
    He is your friend,your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader

Shark
    Robin...thought anymore about putting a trip together with a few people this summer?

You should work for the Morehead Chamber of Commerce......I have added it to my list of places to dive. The history of most shipwrecks is fascinating. I live near Lake Michigan. The chance to see history that most people have never seen is certainly one of the drivers for my becoming a diver.

Great pictures and writing. Thanks.

Grouper
    Tamalewood (Albuquerque NM), United States
    Images
    thanks everybody! We are thinking about going back again this coming summer, but $$$ is a bit tight and hubby wanted to go somewhere with warm, clear water this spring, so we booked for Bonaire. So although I am excited about the Bonaire trip, I am a bit sad that we might miss the NC trip this summer. We'll see what happens....

robin

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by scubarobin View Post
    thanks everybody! We are thinking about going back again this coming summer, but $$$ is a bit tight and hubby wanted to go somewhere with warm, clear water this spring, so we booked for Bonaire. So although I am excited about the Bonaire trip, I am a bit sad that we might miss the NC trip this summer. We'll see what happens....

robin
    Ditch the hubby and come on back SR, free lodgings for female dbs to boot!

Barracuda
    I will be heading out to SR's neck of the sand dune about that time, just to move back to DC for fall and winter dives.
    Alot of neat dives in that part of the country. I plan on doing the U-1105 this time!
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information