Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone done the "truk odessey"?

I havent been but since first diving this is one place i want to go in the next couple of years.

Guppy
    I just dove the Truk Odyssey. Very nice boat. Very interesting diving. Be sure to be nitrox certified.

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kroorda View Post
    I just dove the Truk Odyssey. Very nice boat. Very interesting diving. Be sure to be nitrox certified.
    Well, don't keep us in suspense: How about a trip report? Pictures? 50% off coupons for a trip ourselves ...2 of 3 will suffice.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Guppy

Things to be aware of w/Truk trip

Scubagirl,
    A couple of things:
    1. As far as waiting until you get enough FF miles for your Continental tickets goes, February isn't that far away. There is ONLY one flight from Honolulu to Guam, and one flight from Guam to Truk. When those flights are full, you have no alternatives. Additionally, Continental only allows a limited number of Frequent Fliers on each flight and the Frequent Fliers often (due to experience) book their seats far in advance (up to 11 months in advance). Speaking from experience, I would say that it would be quite unlikely that you would be able to obtain a frequent flier seat, and, within 3 or 4 months of the trip (November), you may even find it difficult to buy a seat on the two flights I mentioned above. If that happens, you'll end up being routed to Truk via Tokyo (on American Airlines) and the cost will be substantially higher.
    2. Diving from the Truk Odyssey is a fantastic experience - for an experienced and confident diver (which it sounds like you are). They provide Nitrox in 108 cubic foot tanks so that, even down around 100', you can stay down as long as you could at 60' on air....really nice. Though the dives are deeper than normal dives, if you watch your computer, you'll never go into decompression.
    3. At the end of the week, they will offer you a dive on the San Francisco Maru. The TOP of the wreck is at 160' and it goes down from there. A couple of us on our trip, (including me), who have more than 35 years (each) of diving experience and are divemasters, both had concerns/issues with that dive and chose not to take the dive. Most concerning of all is the fact that no matter how good or experienced of a diver one might be, if/when Nitrogen Narcosis kicks in, all that experience, knowledge and 'good thinking' goes right down the drain. There is a very good reason that all major Certification Agencies, and even the U.S. Navy sets a sport diving depth limit at 130'. While the San Francisco wreck may be 'neat', in our experienced opinion, it wasn't worth the associated risk. Additionally, it is dark, difficult to get around (you need a guide), and (of course) your time is very limited. Therefore, trying to see the very largest wreck at the very deepest depth in a very limited time, while HOPING that Nitrogen Narcosis doesn't kick in simply isn't worth it. So, even though I don't know you, I wouldn't recommend that dive. Instead, the Odyssey crew will offer you an alternate dive. Our only complaint about the Odyssey is that they seemed to encourage everyone to take that dive without expressing any of the warnings or things that I mentioned above. They did absolutely nothing to make sure that the few that did do the dive were in good enough shape for it. In fact, one guy that did the dive had had open heart surgery approximately one year ago. And, a lady that did the dive was so obese that she could not carry her own gear to the back of the boat before she jumped into the water. The people and the service on the Odyssey were supurb. However, they did not act responsibly when it came to the health and welfare of divers as they encouraged divers to dive the San Francisco. I personally am a Technical Dive Master. As such, I have received training on 'technical', mixed gas, deep diving. Likewise, all the training and knowledge I have received makes me especially aware of the risks involved when divers plunge deeper than 130' without special training, and mixed gas. The Odyssey does send people down on the San Francisco with 24% Nitrox. However, that, in itself has it's own inherent risk(s) - particularly Oxygen toxicity - which, at that depth is not 'harmful', but FATAL. All said and done, diving the San Francisco (in my, and others' opinions) is not worth the risk.
    Again, the crew on the Odyssey is great, the boat is extremely nice, comfortable and spacious, and the food is good, and, the wreck diving throughout the week is fascinating. It's definately a good trip.
    Best Regards,
    Kent

Shark
    thanx kroorda-am a rather conservative diver & had some reservations about the SFM, even with adv nitrox & deco training; glad to know there is an alternative-our group already has our plane tickets(paid, not ff), so everything is set-am looking forward to the trip as i am christening 2011 "the year of the warm water wreck" and am going to see how many different ones i can dive(NC & bermuda on my to do list)

Shark
    I've been to Truk and did Land based from The Blue Lagoon hotel. I have talked to people who were on the Odyssey and they loved it. Remember that is pretty much just wreck diving....after a while it became a bit too much for me. I dive the wrecks in Palau usually diving 3 or 4 a week. Regarding FF miles and Continental they are now Star Alliance and there is an option of going through Tokyo which is 3 hours (additional flight time) or more longer depending on your layover...then to Guam. There were many flights a month ago available on economy going through Hawaii in Feb and March...but nothing on First class. I got a flight on ANA to Tokyo then Continental to Guam and back then United from Tokyo to LAX.....Hope this helps.

Shark
    am staying at blue lagoon day of arrival & an extra day after getting off boat [ rest of group going on to palau but i have to return for work ]-my flight is from palm beach to houston to honalulu to guam to truk on continental-i could dive wrecks every dive,never get bored as always have my camera-just wish i could have done the 2nd week in palau as planned(new home & job relocation come first)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information