Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone done the "truk odessey"?

Shark

Question anyone done the "truk odessey"?

going on my first LOB in feb on the truk odessey-want to know what to expect, brochures seem to all be so "glossy" and vague-going as part of group so will know at least 9 other divers(3-4 are DI)-thanx

Shark
    Images
    I still have a hard time with these South Pacific threads. Was working in Guam Last Winter/Spring and all set to go to Palau last March when family issues forced me to return home. I mean, plane tickets, Sam's was waiting for me, hotel reservations... sigh.
    I am not jealous at all!

Sine Timore!

Shark
    don't feel too bad SS, had to cut my trip short by a week(the one in palau) due to relocation in late october & had to cancel a trip to GC

My instructor is on that boat with her hubby right now! I'll get a report for you tomorrow when she comes to pick up her cat!!! I know our dive travel person at the shop just loves those guys....

Funeral Jorunna
    I did the Truk Aggressor back in 2005 and it was excellent and I've heard the Odyssey is even nicer so you should have a great time especially if you like to dive kewl wrecks. BTW the Truk Aggressor is no more. They moved it to Indonesia where it bacame the N. Sulawesi Aggressor before they sold it. It's now in the Philippines and is called the Atlantis Azores.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Shark
    love wrecks-reason i'm flying 1/2 way around the world for just 6 days of diving-like i said, never done a LOB so i figure it will be quite the experience

Funeral Jorunna
    The kewl thing about these wrecks besides the fact that they are overgrown with life is that all the artifacts are still there. Unlike wrecks in the USA which are picked clean. It is against the law to take anything and you will see china, sake bottles, torpedos, tanks, parts for Japanese Zero's, and lots of other neat things. The Japanese came in and removed all human remains but everything else is still intact and it's pretty wild seeing all the stuff and leting your imagination run wild. If you get a chance check out this book:

World War II Wrecks of the Truk Lagoon by Dan E. Bailey ISBN 0-911615-06-7
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

OMG - I am now sooooo jealous of you! Sadie came in just raving about the boat and the crew - she did 15 wrecks, 23 dives....she said the coral growth is beautiful, the wrecks are amazing - even though she said there were some tight spots where the guide would have to pull them through openings (yikes!) - so much to see, as chinacat mentioned.....she did say that even if you didn't want to penetrate the wrecks, there was plenty to see. The boat and crew got glowing reports - awesome guides, amazing food, very comfortable quarters and everyone was super warm and friendly.

She only did one night dive, because she got a little cold after doing so much diving - so you might consider a 2 or 3mil, and hood, more if you are already cold natured. We usually dive with a skin at the most around here, so she wasn't expecting to get so cold - probably just the volume of dives! A suit of some kind is really necessary when you're doing so many wrecks anyway - she said hers is full of holes and is going in the trash now! They did dive nitrox and that helped with the recovery time, of course.....

I hope you'll have an amazing time - please report back and let us know how it was!!

Shark
    thanx for the info- am really looking forward to this trip, with camera at the ready!too bad i have to wait until february-think i'll look up the book chinacat46 mentioned(wish my dad was alive as he was living in hawaii when pearl was bombed, grandad was stationed there at hickem(SP?)field-he would have loved to see the pictures)

Barracuda
    I was talking to Larry a while back about Truk/Chuuk, a dream dive ever since I was a little kid and saw pic's in Nat Geo... He was on Aggressor but said he saw The Odessey and said it looked really good.

Now I'm just waiting to get enough Continental miles to pay for the air!!! I have enough now if I did the 2 days travel thru Tokyo option, but I don't wanna... I am really really looking forward to your trip report!!!
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information