Thread: Kauai diving and hotel questions...

Grouper

Kauai diving and hotel questions...

Hi! Doing some early planning for a trip to Kauai Sept 2011 for our 15th anniversary. We spent our honeymoon in Hawaii and my wife just loved Kauai so we're going back there. I didn't dive at the time but sure do now and am planning on shore dives, maybe a few boat dive and for sure the Ni'ihau trip with my wife who doesn't dive.

Has anyone done the Ni'ihau trip in early September? Is it still OK to do this trip then or should we try and go earlier - late August?

I've gotten some great suggestions for dive shops, Bubbles Below, KAS, Aquatic Adventures and Fathom Five - I'm leaning towards Bubbles Below for boat and Ni'ihau dives and KAS or AA for shore dives. Any other input or suggestions?

Looking for hotel suggestions as well. I'm going to be using Marriott points (and AA miles for the flights) to keep costs down so we can spend more on pampering her and diving for me! Marriott has 3 properties in Lihue (Kauai Lagoons, Kauai Beach Club, Kauai Marriott Resort) and one in Koloa (Waiohai Beach Club) - anyone stay at any of these or have input? I'm leaning toward Koloa for shore diving and proximity to Port Allen, Bubbles Below, KAS.

Thanks!

Barracuda
    Images
    I dove with BB about 4 years ago. We were on the island for a week, and did 12 dives with them. linda is a great character - funny, knowledgeable, and a damn competant diver. Her crew consisted of some old school local boys as well as some kids in their early/mid twenties. They were all very customer service oriented. A great operation.

Ni'I'Hau is AWESOME. One of the best groups of dives that I've ever done. The remoteness of the location, as well as the history also added to the adventure. The water was crystal clear with omega viz. We saw every type of big pelagic and had a fun interaction with the endagered monk seal. Check it out: YouTube - Monk Seal Encounter

I really can't say enough about the trip. Great diving! As for hotels, I'm no use. We stayed in a condo on the Napali Coast.

Have a great time. I'm friggin' jealous.
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

TadPole
    I'm jumping in late but just joined...hope this helps but if you've already booked out, good for you!

I went in 2000 and dove with SeaSport Divers in Koloa. Great group of people and very knowledgeable of the south side of the island. I just went back this June and did not dive extensively. However, if you are looking for a quick dive with the wife, I would recommend taking the Blue Dolphin tour of the Napali Coast OR Ni'I'Hau. I have not been diving off Ni'I'Hau but have seen plenty of video from those that have and I really wish I had.

We stayed at an amazing house in Poipu (Poipu Vacation Rental House on Kauai). Loved the place and had more than enough room for 4-6 people. If looking for a smaller unit but right on the water, check out the options at Kuhio Shores (Kauai Beachfront Condos - Kuhio Shores #119 - BEACHFRONT). Stayed there in 2000 and it still looks amazzing! It is right next door to The Beach House Restaurant so you can have the romantic dinner on the water front, a little vino, and not have to drive!

Cheers!

Grouper
    Thanks! I'm diving w/ Seasport for boat and Niihau dives, shore in Koloa, Fathom Five for the Tunnels shore dive. We're staying at the Marriott using points but we've stayed at the Vacation Rental place you're talking about. We stayed there on our honeymoon at the recommendation of a friend. We had the same experience you did!

Looking forward to diving the island this time!!

Guppy
    I'll be going here next January - I'm not sure how the diving will be then, but it looks like Kauai is a great place to be!
    Are you for SCUBA?

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlue1 View Post
    I'll be going here next January - I'm not sure how the diving will be then, but it looks like Kauai is a great place to be!
    South shore should be great in the winter. The swells should be gone improving vis and surge. Won't be able to do Ni'ihau or Tunnels though.

Thread Information