Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a food and/or recipe group?

Megalodon
    Images

How about a food and/or recipe group?

I've noted a good number of posts in various threads about recipes, I think Diving Chef started it!!! ) Last count, there were over 200 recipes posted in the many posts.

How about a food or recipe Folder/Forum/Topic or what ever the various groups are called?

Huh? Huh? Pleeeease???

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Funeral Jorunna
    Yeah you could make it subfolder of Surface Interval.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Shark
    Images
    Sounds delicious!

Shark
    Images
    count me in............still waiting for Chucks contribution btw.....!
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation. If you dont like this signature I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!

Long Tailed Thresher Shark

YES!!!

That's a great idea. Might I suggest that it be structured so that particular questions can be posted? Like my paramedic thanking thread which needed ideas for things that could be done in a small space and leave behind pan?

Strangely, amongst all of this life chaos, I have been drawn to my kitchen for the first time. I am enjoying cooking and getting pretty good at some things.

Shark
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    That's a great idea. Might I suggest that it be structured so that particular questions can be posted? Like my paramedic thanking thread which needed ideas for things that could be done in a small space and leave behind pan?

Strangely, amongst all of this life chaos, I have been drawn to my kitchen for the first time. I am enjoying cooking and getting pretty good at some things.
    Cooking is very cathartic. Think abut it you get to mash, cut, chop and grind things, use power tools and fire (If your not cooking with gas you should be!) You get to take an inspiration and bring it full circle from hmmmm I want backed ziti to ymmmmm that was good. You get to loose your self in another place, person, culture and experience a safe failures and rewarding successes.
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation. If you dont like this signature I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rileybri View Post
    Cooking is very cathartic. Think abut it you get to mash, cut, chop and grind things, use power tools and fire (If your not cooking with gas you should be!) You get to take an inspiration and bring it full circle from hmmmm I want backed ziti to ymmmmm that was good. You get to loose your self in another place, person, culture and experience a safe failures and rewarding successes.
    I grew up with a mother who hated cooking and wouldn't let the kids in the kitchen. And I have not had a family home to inspire me to learn to cook. And I need to watch my calories right now thanks to recent events. It is HARD to cook when you are solo. You don't want to invite friends over the first time you try a dish unless they are friends with a sense of humor (remind me to tell you about the flaming salmon, but it was very good despite having spent some time aflame), you can't eat but so many leftoevers, etc. So I focus on things that can be prepared in small portions or frozen, lots of fresh whole foods which can be prepared in any proportion you like, etc. It is a great time of year for the latter. I am finding it very cathartic and I am pretty good at some of it, although I don't have that instinct that most people get from their moms about time, temperature, combining spices, etc. I have to look a lot of stuff up. And i give myself permission to just try things.

What I have learned so far...

I have learned that I can make garlic work in just about anything, because I love garlic!

Starting with killer ingredients from local sources sets me up for success!

I haven't mastered the art of cooking fish yet. But I am committed to doing so.

My favorite new kitchen TOOL...Shun Mezzaluna gotten at Williams and Sonoma for half price! They rock!

Shark
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    I grew up with a mother who hated cooking and wouldn't let the kids in the kitchen.
    You don't want to invite friends over the first time you try a dish unless they are friends with a sense of humor (remind me to tell you about the flaming salmon, but it was very good despite having spent some time aflame), you can't eat but so many leftoevers, etc. So I focus on things that can be prepared in small portions or frozen, lots of fresh whole foods which can be prepared in any proportion you like, etc. It is a great time of year for the latter. I am finding it very cathartic and I am pretty good at some of it, although I don't have that instinct that most people get from their moms about time, temperature, combining spices, etc. I have to look a lot of stuff up. And i give myself permission to just try things.

What I have learned so far...

I have learned that I can make garlic work in just about anything, because I love garlic!

Starting with killer ingredients from local sources sets me up for success!

I haven't mastered the art of cooking fish yet. But I am committed to doing so.

My favorite new kitchen TOOL...Shun Mezzaluna gotten at Williams and Sonoma for half price! They rock!
    Awesome find.
    My mother couldn't cook--her mother didn't let even try, and I grew up knowing why. My father cooked and if we wanted to eat, my sister and I learned early.
    Fixing food for one is harder than imagined. Freezing is good, up to a point. Don still fixes food for the army of kids we once had here, and I can only do leftovers so many times too.
    I will always try a new recipe from someone! I do the same thing usually to have it flop.
    After 13 years of running a small restaurant, I'm tired of the cooking, but would rather have simple home cooked meals vs eating out.

Megalodon
    Images
    I'm closer to Twisted on my cooking. My, I love you but a lot of the stuff was well, bleych!!! What started as survival turned into a passion. I love going to a new place, trying some of the corner stone entrees and then replicating them at home. I've gotten to where I totally enjoy trying new stuff and making the "Hey, this sounds good" recipes. I still have a lot to learn, but I still love cooking.

And to put it back on track: Tommy, Joe, Larry Pleeeease let us have a cooking folder????!!!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedSister209 View Post
    Awesome find.
    My mother couldn't cook--her mother didn't let even try, and I grew up knowing why. My father cooked and if we wanted to eat, my sister and I learned early.
    Fixing food for one is harder than imagined. Freezing is good, up to a point. Don still fixes food for the army of kids we once had here, and I can only do leftovers so many times too.
    I will always try a new recipe from someone! I do the same thing usually to have it flop.
    After 13 years of running a small restaurant, I'm tired of the cooking, but would rather have simple home cooked meals vs eating out.
    I'm sure your Mom COULD cook, any intelligent person can learn, she just grew up like I did, with a Mother who would not let her in the kitchen, and never had the urge or confidence or need to fix that. My Mom cooked, fairly well, she had too, we were all athletes. She just didn't like it and didn't want kids underfoot slowing her down. The biggest challenge is learning to cook when I am a household of one.

My Italian gal pals are very helpful, one of them gave me the best cookbook ever which is exactly what I needed. Every Italian girl has it. The Silver Spoon. I love it because it uses few ingredients, none of which you have to fly to Asia to get, and it approaches everything by base food, i.e. you go to the market and the eggplant looks good, come home, pop it open to the eggplant section. So it naturally teaches the style of cooking that I want to know.

My first cookbook was a disaster. It was the original Moosewood. WAY too complex and ingredients which you had to fly to Asia to get.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer healthy light meals at home and know how to make them. But I want to learn to actually COOK in a wider range. I'll try a recipe from a friend anytime, but I don't like to have guests coming over when I do in case it is a flop. I do however, have a few friends who I will have over understanding that they are my guinea pigs. It is always fun. My aim is to be that person who can go to the market, pick what looks best, see what else is in the pantry, and go to town, in a way that does not add calories which are not necessary or nutritive. Recipe less.

You will all be proud to know that I brined my first turkey breast and just tasted it. It is DELICIOUS. Pulled a bunch of stuff from my herb pot, chopped some garlic, added some olive oil, stuffed it all under the skin. YUM. I'm calling friends as we speak, there will be dinner at my house tonight.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information