Thread: Fish

Grouper

Fish

Barbecued Roasted Pepper Rockfish

Ingredients:
    Fish - Rock fish. A large perch also is good.
    Fish Rub - I like black pepper or Old Bay.
    Fruit - I like lime and mango. Lemon, orange, peach are also good.
    Roasted and Diced medium hot Pepper - I like red and green jalapeños.
    Minced Garlic and/or red onion.
    Butter and light olive oil.
    Charcoal briquettes and smoking wood - I like mild apple wood.

While briquettes are heating up, roast peppers over the hot heat/flame. The roasting mellows the heat and adds a delicious roasted flavor. Scrape skin off the peppers with a knife, remove the stem, seeds, and inside (for hot peppers). Combine diced roasted pepper, minced/diced fruit, minced garlic and butter in small steel pan on the edge of grill. Dice all of these ingredients so they are about the same size. Do not overcook where the individual flavors are unrecognizable.

Dry rub or put some light olive oil then rub the fish. Cook on the hot portion of the barbeque until over half cook. I like mine crispy on the outside. Toss some wet smoking wood on the briquettes. Put the seared fish on a small piece of aluminum foil and cover with the roasted pepper mix. Cover the barbecue to finish cooking the fish and allow the smoke from the wood to lightly flavor the fish. I serve with a hearty vegetable/rice dish and a green salad. Mississippi Mud (Beer from Trader Joes) or your favorite beer.

Grouper

Officers' Club Presidio Of San Francisco Baked Halibut with Cream Dill Sauce

Seafood Buffet night at the Presido was great in its day!

My best guess on this dish.

A nice thick fillet of Pacific Halibut. California Halibut will also work.
    Whipping Cream
    Chopped Dill
    Mushrooms if desired
    Chopped Parsley
    Shallot or Maui Onion - omit if not desired
    Dry Vermouth or Sherry
    Light Olive Oil or Butter
    Flour

Brush fish with light olive oil and season with salt and white pepper if desired. Bake at 375F in large Pyrex baking dish until fish is almost cooked through about a half hour.

Finely dice shallot and sauté in light olive oil. Add chopped parsley, chopped dill and dry Vermouth in small pan with sautéed shallots. Add whipping cream and flour. Whisk until uniform consistency and desired thickness. Allow Pyrex pan to cool a little. Then pour cream sauce over fish and finish off in oven at 350F.

Serve with pasta and salad.

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Oh Man!

I'm your new biggest fan!
    ("I'm dieing over here.")

I keep my charcoal Weber out front in the bushes (screw the HOA) for tips such as this.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

TadPole

Ahi Poke - make you wanna slap yo mama!

We chowed down on this while in Hawaii, it is so clean and fresh! No frying, battering, grilling... just fresh fish.

• <LI class=ingredient sizcache="71" sizset="186">2 lbs fresh ahi tuna <LI class=ingredient sizcache="71" sizset="187">1 small round onion, julienne cut<LI class=ingredient sizcache="71" sizset="188">3 green onions, diced <LI class=ingredient sizcache="71" sizset="189">1/2 teaspoon freshly grated fresh ginger <LI class=ingredient sizcache="71" sizset="190">3 finely diced garlic cloves <LI class=ingredient sizcache="71" sizset="191">1/2 cup soy sauce <LI class=ingredient sizcache="57" sizset="104">1 teaspoon sesame oil <LI class=ingredient sizcache="71" sizset="192">1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    • 1 teaspoon hawaiian sea salt or 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    Cut Ahi into at least 1/2" cubes - set aside & refrigerate.

Combine all other ingredients in a large glass bowl & refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

When ready to serve toss Ahi and other ingredients together.
    Later men, its been fun....

Grouper
    It is 953 am and I am hungry from reading this, I know what will be cooked this weekend. Thanks for the posts!!!
    Lets see, to dive or not to dive? Well that is a stupid question, DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, and then DIVE some more as long as it is safe!!!!!

Thread Information