Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Inflate BCD vs. Vest-Jacket BCD

TadPole

Back Inflate BCD vs. Vest-Jacket BCD

Which would be the better bcd a back inflate bc or a vest-jacket style bc? Is there a brand that is better than the others? I've looked at zeagle and sherwood for a bc but wanted to get some pros and cons on style of bc as well as brand. Thanks.

TadPole
    I personally like my rear inflation BC. I do not like the full jacket style as it is too bulky and compresses on me. The rear inflation is very compact and unobtrusive. Some say that you have a hard time at the surface with rear inflation BC's but I don't. There are rear weight pockets on my tank strap and that helps offset the turtle effect. I have used both and would never go back to a jacket style.

Grouper
    This can be a bit of a hot topic on the forum, jacket vs rear-inflate bcd vs backplate wing. I would suggest doing a search on the forum there are numerous posts on the subject. Obviously the best choice is to try different styles (if not makes) before you buy.
    People who look good with a mask on are usually ugly without one.

Grouper
    Images
    There are a couple of threads on this already (back inflate vs. jacket)

http://forum.scubatoys.com/bcs-buoya...inflate-32058/

http://forum.scubatoys.com/bcs-buoya...ket-bcd-19925/

Oddly these two threads were both started by the same guy. In them you will find reference to jacket, back inflate, and back plate wing configs - which are like a home grown backinflate. Hope this helps.

Ultimately - you should rent/try both types of gear - if you haven't done your OW yet look into what your instructor has available for you to use, try both if possible. If not, rent different kinds after getting certified. Some shops will even let you 'try before you buy'.

Scubatoys has a pretty awesome return policy if you buy one, and figure out you want the other...though I would definitely rent equipment first to cut down on the chances of having to do a return.

ScubaToys Help and Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Return Policy - Hassle Free!

Our hassle free return policy allows you to shop with confidence! Knowing that your purchase can be returned or exchanged with absolutely no hassles!

If you get something, and it doesn't fit, you changed your mind and want a different color, the thing is not what you expected or you just changed your mind... We Don't Care! We'll take care of you. No Problem - No Hassle. Just send us back any unused gear within 30 days and we will refund your money (minus the actual shipping cost), or decide to swap it for something else.

And even if you've used an item - but it didn't work out for you, you can return it for 30 days and we will credit you toward a like item. Check out the details on our 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee page. If you want to read the whole leagilize version you can under Terms and Conditions.

best of luck,
    Ray
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Back Inflate is my vote. In my experience the back inflate is easier while diving and the vest is easier on the surface. Vests work fine and the differences were minor to me, but I never really struggled like some divers do with that initial beginner buoyancy so neither were a huge shift for me. I don't think I have actually seen a vest on any of the boats I have been on recently sans rental gear.

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    A lot of opinions on this, check out some of these threads.

You could just just go ahead and get get a BP/W and save yourself some time....

http://forum.scubatoys.com/bcs-buoya...inflate-25379/

http://forum.scubatoys.com/australia...te-wing-31450/

http://forum.scubatoys.com/bcs-buoya...lations-27028/

http://forum.scubatoys.com/bcs-buoya...et-style-5119/
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysooner View Post
    Some say that you have a hard time at the surface with rear inflation BC's but I don't.
    I would bet my hard-earned cash that most of those people have too much air in them. You really don't need much to stay afloat comfortably but I've seen a lot of people fill them all the way up and wonder why their face gets pushed into the water all the time.

Grouper
    I told you so lol
    People who look good with a mask on are usually ugly without one.

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    Just search under backplate and wing and save yourself time and money of buying the fashion show back inflate and jacket BCs :-D
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Quote Originally Posted by below sea level View Post
    I would bet my hard-earned cash that most of those people have too much air in them. You really don't need much to stay afloat comfortably but I've seen a lot of people fill them all the way up and wonder why their face gets pushed into the water all the time.
    I had a jacket style at first, and when I wanted a better fit I went to a Zeagle Stiletto and have dove in it quite a bit now. I've filling it up all the way (35 lb lift) and I still can't get what some report of it pushing my face into the water. I seem to float just fine all the time, with a little or a lot of air. Who knows, maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe it's just the way I have it trimmed out, but I kept hearing about how back inflate will push you face down but I can't seem to get it to happen myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information