Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread for my general questions regarding training

Shark

Thread for my general questions regarding training

Hi, I am currently doing section one of the diving course questions, and I have a few questions that either weren't covered, or I somehow managed to miss... firstly, I know mask squeeze is prevented by exhaling through the nose, but the question also asks how often it has to be done, which I didn't notice in the book... I am fairly sure it is either every metre, or whenever you feel discomfort (I know "whenever you feel discomfort" is a bad answer for ear equalising, so I am not sure). Any ideas?
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Guppy
    Yeah, I would say when you feel discomfort. I rarely get mask squeeze, but I think once in a while I'm not automatically exhaling through the nose and I feel the pressure. Not sure why it's so infrequent--maybe others have some insight.

Grouper
    I would suggest ensuring that your mask is not too tight.

I have never had a mask squeeze, but do find myself exhaling automatically occasionally into the mask.

It is not typically a big deal at all, and I don't think about how often I breathe into the mask.

I would be more concerned with protecting my ear drums!
    "God is at the bottom of the sea and
    I dive to find him." Enzo Maiorca

Shark
    I know, but th question specfically asks for me to say how often to do it
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Quote Originally Posted by bennerman View Post
    Hi, I am currently doing section one of the diving course questions, and I have a few questions that either weren't covered, or I somehow managed to miss... firstly, I know mask squeeze is prevented by exhaling through the nose, but the question also asks how often it has to be done, which I didn't notice in the book... I am fairly sure it is either every metre, or whenever you feel discomfort (I know "whenever you feel discomfort" is a bad answer for ear equalising, so I am not sure). Any ideas?
    If you are studying PADI they don't have a specific recommendation for equalizing the air space in your mask. In general, you equalize ANY air space (mask, ears, sinus) during descent as needed. For sinus and ears, you should equalize often and before you feel any pain. If you feel too much discomfort, ascend a few feet and equalize before going any deeper. For mask squeeze, it is less critical and there for you can equalize as you feel discomfort.

Something else to understand is that the change in pressure is greatest at the surface. At 33 feet the pressure would be 2 times. At 66 feet you are twice as deep but the pressure is only 3 times.

This means that when you first start desending you need to equalize much more frequently than when you are at depth. For example, if I go from 5 feet to 10 feet I might need to equalize 3 times but if I go from 60 feet to 65 feet I might not need to equalize at all.

Finally, I have seen NUMEROUS people who suffered ear damage due to insufficient equalization. Their ears will never be quite the same. I have only seen one person suffer from mask squeeze. He looked like a dork for a couple of days but fully recovered.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Shark
    thanks

Shark
    I have only TWO lines to describe how to figure out proper weighting... the information is this long:

1. Enter the water with al - Anonymous - Fvb9kA63 - Pastebin.com

And I write rather large... any ideas?

Shark
    Are these correct?

How a wetsuit works: The suit traps a layer of water between the suit and the diver. This water is then heated by the body's natural heat to a level that is more comfortable for the diver.

How a drysuit works: The suit is made water tight and filled with air, keeping the diver dry. A special undergarment is warn that is designed to keep the diver warm.

I believe the question you are trying to answer is: Explain how to check for proper weighting.

Your instructor can accept an answer that assumes you are not a total idiot. The answer doesn't have to be proper english either. Things like keeping your regulator in your mouth and being prepared to kick or re-inflate your BCD have less to do with checking for proper weighting and more to do with not drowning.

What are the key things to look for when checking your weight? Full breath, empty BCD, should float at eye level. If sink, reduce weight. Otherwise, exhale and descend. If you cannot descend, add weight.

Realistically, there just have to be enough in the answer that it looks like you know what you are talking about. If details are missing it is okay. The instructor will go over the answers with everyone and confirm you have the details as well. In other words, it is a combination of what you write in the work sheet and what you say in class that gives you a pass for this portion of the work.

Additionally, if you don't quite have this answer down pat, it gives some future instructor the opportunity to sell you Peak Performance Buoyancy training. Your instructor would be more concerned if you couldn't answer the question "What is the most important rule in scuba diving?" Or you implied (or openly said) NDLs are merely suggestions.

The key thing to remember about scuba diving is that the instructor will do what it takes to make sure you pass. In school, you get training, you are tested and there is a chance you'll fail. In scuba, you get the training, you do the workbook questions, you discuss anything you got wrong, you get more training, you do practical work in the pool, you go over anything you got wrong, you get evaluated in open water. Unless you are an obvious danger to yourself or your potential buddy... you pass.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Shark
    much obliged

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information