Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cameras

Shark Founding Member
    mitsuguy, I don't disagree with you, particularly about having a strobe (or lots of light from somewhere). You bring up excellent points that are 100% valid and definitely important in underwater photography.

My point is that I believe a great photographer with a basic setup will almost always take better photos than a lousy photographer with a fancy setup. Taking a class from a good instructor/photographer or finding a mentor is money well spent to improve UW photo skills.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    mitsuguy, I don't disagree with you, particularly about having a strobe (or lots of light from somewhere). You bring up excellent points that are 100% valid and definitely important in underwater photography.

My point is that I believe a great photographer with a basic setup will almost always take better photos than a lousy photographer with a fancy setup. Taking a class from a good instructor/photographer or finding a mentor is money well spent to improve UW photo skills.
    not so sure about that... there is a guy I know locally that is completely in to photography, but shoots almost exclusively on auto settings... the only reason his pictures come out even decent, IMO, is because he has a hell of a setup - SLR, wide angle, dome port, video light, TTL strobe... give this guy a crappy camera, and he would have equally crappy pictures...

I understand what you are saying, but, with the proper technology any more, it really takes a lot of the skill out of it...

my strobe is a manual strobe, hard to use, but worth it when I get it right... with a TTL strobe, I'd do a lot less work and pictures would be more uniform (to an extent)

a wide angle lens cuts the amount of stuff in the water by about 75% as you are able to get that much closer to your subject... shooting in RAW and/or with the ability to white balance is a must in an underwater setup - unless you have enough strobe to add enough light to not need manual white balance or RAW...

I will make it a point to go out and take some pictures of some coral, with a strobe / wide angle / RAW, and then put the camera in its underwater mode (for white balancing), do without the wide angle, strobe and RAW and you can see the difference... it is dramatic. about the only thing most point and shoots without the above features can take good pictures of is macro subjects, at least from what I've experienced...

and, btw, I teach photo and can't help people with a lot of cameras a whole lot... I give them the info though, in case in the future they want to upgrade their photos...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Barracuda
    Images
    I agree with Zena on the good photographer with a cheap setup will get more out of than the lousy with a super setup. I'm just starting out on underwater photos but on land shoot allmost all manual.

Megalodon
    Images
    Have to also agree mcr. I've got a Canon A510 with a Canon housing...I take noob pictures and am just learning. However it's fun to go out and just take pictures as I dive and is another good reason (excuse?) to dive. I know that eventually I will probably take a U/W photo class, but given that digital hase made it easier and cheaper to just go take picturs, it's fun just to go practice.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    I don't see the point in comparing what a beginner might do with a dSLR rig coasting thousands vs a professional with a cheap Sealife. Equipment does matter and underwater you must get very close and getting close means an accessory wide angle lens (save for macro) and an external strobe(s) cannot be over emphasized.

N
    Swim down, swim around, swim back up.

Shark
    Images
    new at photography but will but my two bits in here.

I took a little half day crash course at a dive shop last year, learned a lot and it was free! If you have an oppurtunity, make the time and do it.

You are allowed one and only ONE face shot. Only one, this is the "Hi mom" shot. Lets face it, we don't look good with a mask on our face and a reg in our mouths.

No "but shots" of fishies, it's OK to delete photos.. I prob keep only 5-10 percent of my photos, if that.

Get as low as you can for most shots, best to aim up .. there are of course exceptions to this rule.

It is and is not like surface photography, the previous posters are correct, there are some features you really need for U/W .

If you want a beginner camera, planning to trade up, check out resale values, stick with name brand. Like a lot of things, ya go cheap, you will most likely get discouraged and stop.

I would recommend starting out no strobe, take some pictures relativly close to surface, learn the controls and mess around till ya get comfy with everything.

Mastering bouyancy is essential before bringing a camera in the water. It is also important to remain extremly aware of your surroundings.

Lastly, if you are on a dive trip and want to see something really really cool once in a lifetime thing underwater, leave your camera on the boat.. works every time!

Sine Timore!

Grouper
    Images
    Help me please... I'm so confused as what to buy. My budget is around $1000 although just typing that hurts. These 2 were recommended. The Seas & Sea DX1200HD Mariner or the Sealife DC1200 ELite. Elaborate please, but be kind and simplify...

Grouper
    Images
    Tanked: I have the dx1200 setup with tray and small strobe. The whole setup cost me less than $1200 and it is a nice small beginner setup. Great for travel. Not complicated. Good for above ground too.

However, I am currently looking for a new setup as I grew out of this one VERY quickly. I find the battery dies half way through the second dive, the processor lag time between one shot and the next is quite bad (fishies gone) and when in low vis water the auto focus can't cope.

All this being said, if you still want the DX1200, I'll sell you my camera. PM me and I'll give you a great deal!

Grouper
    I keep things simple and have had good luck with the Canon 720 with no strobes....but am taking some long hard looks at the new Canon S95....it is receiving good reviews for low light shots. Hoping to see a bunch of reports sometime early next year from folks who got it for Christmas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information