Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cameras

TadPole

Cameras

I am looking at getting into underwater photography and wanted to find out what you all thought. I see the SeaLife and Sea&Sea cameras out there and they seem great as they are made for underwater and have all sorts of accessories but are they as good as or better than the other top camera companies out there (Nikon, Cannon, etc) Is it better to get a Nikon or Cannon and then get a housing and accessories for it or go with a SeaLife or Sea&Sea. Let me know what you think.

Just my opinion but go with either a good used or older setup from someone of good standing, pick up a DC1200 kit or go all in and get a high end setup. Everything between the DC1200 kit ($700) and starting around $1500 is a compromise one way or another and likely won't take any better pictures than the DC1200.

TadPole
    Nothing wrong with either the SL or the S&S, but both are small sensor point and shoot cameras. Are you planning on sticking with a P&S or moving up to a dslr?

I bought a SL DC1200 kit from ST and it takes great photos. I like the camera and the functions are simple. For what I do it takes great photo and right now I have no need for anything else.

Barracuda Founding Member
    I will be the lone dissenter. My Canon point and shoot and my Sea Life point and shoot can't begin to be compared as far as image quality goes. The Canon wins hands down. That said, the housing on the sea life is WAY better than the OEM Canon.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Shark Founding Member
    Remember that the quality of the photo is more dependent on the PHOTOGRAPHER's skill than the camera's quality! The best photographer will still be excellent with a cheap point and shoot camera, whereas a lousy photographer can own the most expensive set up and still take lousy shots.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Barracuda Founding Member
    Nevermind, not worth the argument...
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Grouper
    Images
    thanks for all the good input I'm looking at the Sea life DC1200 myself. Got a price of $649 sounds good for a start

Guppy
    Olympus E-PL1 with kit lens is $470 shipped from Dell Computer today (ends today), and Olympus PT-EP01 housing is $479 shipped from bhphotovideo. This camera would serve you for years. Don't forget to order the zoom gear when you order the housing.
    Olympus PEN E-PL1 camera, Olympus PT-EP01 housing, ULCS tray/arms, INON D-2000 strobe

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    Remember that the quality of the photo is more dependent on the PHOTOGRAPHER's skill than the camera's quality! The best photographer will still be excellent with a cheap point and shoot camera, whereas a lousy photographer can own the most expensive set up and still take lousy shots.
    To a certain extent, and above water, for sure... Underwater, however, things like wide angle lenses, strobes and the ability to shoot in RAW and/or manual white balance are things that you can not make up for in a camera that does not have those abilities. For instance, I loaned out my S90 the other day, but because it was someone not familiar with it, I removed the wide angle lens and external strobe, I also left it on underwater mode. All except the closest, most shallow pictures came out all blue and no amount of post processing could fix many of them. A few were OK, and most well composited, but if you take away the features I mentioned above, it is about as good as you can expect, unfortunately...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information