Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Nooby needs help

Guppy

Another Nooby needs help

I will be finishing up my classes by the end of this month but I need your expert opinions on my BCD and Regulators. I have my suits, fins, mask and snorkel, all of them are meduim to higher end price range. What do you guys and ladies suggest for my BCD and Regulators, I want to stay away from Sherwood and Mares. I will be diving in Michigan (mostly) and occasionally out of state maybe once a year (or whatever the wife lets me) in Florida.

TadPole
    If I were buying new gear all over again, I would have at the top of my list:

BC:

-Zeagle Express Tech BC
    --Huge bang for the buck
    --Will grow with you and fit anyone
    --Is modular so you can go to a backplate when you're ready (consider the larger bladder option if you're thinking about this)
    -You might also consider a stainless backplate/wing setup (Oxycheq, DSS, HOG, Dive Rite, Zeagle, Halcyon, et al.) from the outset: if you dive in Michigan for very long you will want a drysuit; along with that you will want the stability and extra ballast that a metal backplate will provide

Regs:

-Dive rite RG2500 Regset and matching backup 2nd
    --I think these are recently discontinued but apparently still quite a bit of inventory out there--the RG3100 is the current model but will be more expensive
    --Check to see if you have a local Dive Rite shop or make sure you don't mind mailing them out for service)
    --One of the big advantages of Dive Rite is that you get free parts for life if you have an authorized Dive Rite shop service them at least once every two years or 100 dives

-or-

-HOG D1 with the environmental kit (if diving in MI) and matching HOG 2nds
    --Reasonably priced but high performance
    --Parts easily available and reasonably priced
    --HOG also makes nice SPGs (including a really cool white-numbers-on-black-background one)

I actually don't own any of the above equipment but have researched and used them; I'm probably going to buy the Zeagle BC as an extra/travel setup. Despite their reasonable prices I would consider them "high end" gear quality-wise; you actually get a lot more than you pay for.

If you can you should try before you buy--if you plan to travel to South Florida for some warm-water dives, I highly recommend a shop called Fill Express in Pompano Beach. They rent a full line of excellent quality gear (mostly Dive Rite) and I think they still have a program where half of your rental fees become a discount toward purchase of new equipment. That would be an excellent way to try-before-you-buy.

When I was first getting gear I got something equivalent to keyman deals on a Halcyon BCD system and a set of Apeks regs. I'm reminded of how great they are every time I dive, but I think the Halcyon stuff in particular is vastly overpriced at retail, even though it's truly excellent gear. The Apeks stuff is actually reasonably priced if you buy it from Europe or LeisurePro, but getting service kits isn't as easy as it is with HOG and Dive Rite.

I am not at all a tech diver (I mostly shore dive in a wetsuit with a steel 72 or Al80) but I feel there are many advantages to a backplate and wing (or at least a back inflate BC), a bungeed backup, and generally streamlined configuration.

Hope that helps, I'm sure others have more options to discuss!

Guppy
    My brother in law (who got me into diving) uses a Zeagle backplate and wing and loves it, he's been trying to talk me into going that way, only thing is my Instructor is claiming that a backplate may make me lean forward and being new to this biz. I may panic a little. I've been looking at the zeagle BC's though, I will definately check into the Express tech. You mention Dive rite regs, whats the chances that I may a problem getting them serviced if their discontinued, I don't want to end up like my bro-in-law who's now stuck with some beautiful Dacor regulator paperweights. I have had a few people mention the Apeks regs, matter of fact my bro-in-law is looking at buying a couple and selling his Sherwoods. Thanks for all the info, I'm definately going to look into these, Anybody Else???

Barracuda
    Zeagle has some very nice and reasonable priced regs. and BCDs.

With what shop are you taking your classes? Ask your instructor what he/she recommends. The shop you're using may be the best place to start, but then again it may not. Either way I would start my search there.
    3/4 of the Earth are covered by water and 1/4 by land. Clearly God intended us to spend 3 times as much time fishing and diving than mowing the lawn. - Wiz

Barracuda
    Apeks are great regulators, a little bit more expensive than entry line Zeagle regs but not out of line with the top of the line from Zeagle.

Aside from the new Apeks Flight, all of their regs are basically the same with a few more bells and whistles as you move up the price ladder. I really like the ATX or XTX 40 as an all around regulator. The ATX is about $100 less than the XTX.

Dive Rite regs are great as well... I would (and I think I have rated elsewhere) rank Apeks, Zeagle and Dive Rite 1a, 1b and 1c as far as my preferences go in no particular order.

You can't go wrong with any of them IMO.
    3/4 of the Earth are covered by water and 1/4 by land. Clearly God intended us to spend 3 times as much time fishing and diving than mowing the lawn. - Wiz

Guppy
    The shop that I am taking my classes at suggest apeks, but the tech there uses poseidon. There wet suits, boots and fins are aqua lung, but you know how shops are they push what they sell and not everybody sells great products. My bro bought brand new regs and now wants to sell them because they free flow at certain depths and remember I live in cold michigan. So far cburkart & DMWiz haven't given me any bad advice, I'm going to do some homework on your recommendations. Thanks, guys.

Barracuda
    One of my Apeks regs free flowed at depth, but I wouldn't sell it just because of it... It does happen. The IP creeps up and it causes them to do that. It may just need to be tuned or he could be right and be a piece of junk!

Apeks is distributed by Aqualung in the US. They are both excellent brands! They probably also carry Suunto dive computers

Guppy
    Apeks and Aqua lung, AHHH. That explains it, yep I'm new.lol Most of what I have is Aqualung and I sprung for the upgrades, I definately don't want something to go wrong in the water. My bro bought Sherwoods a few months back, but he's been reading so much negative feedback on them freeflowing that he's now worried that something could go wrong, so he's just selling them to be safe and looking at Apeks. Your right about the Suunto computers, they got em although they don't carry many of the wrist style. I am already sold on them though, my daughter is a runner in school and Suunto is the brand that I chose for her computer.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambuild View Post
    You mention Dive rite regs, whats the chances that I may a problem getting them serviced if their discontinued, I don't want to end up like my bro-in-law who's now stuck with some beautiful Dacor regulator paperweights.
    I wouldn't worry about getting parts for Dive Rite regs. Like many manufacturers they have a standard set of service parts that fit all generations of their regulators (though there is likely some small variation for the 2nd stage kits). True, if they go belly-up it might be hard to get parts, but the same is true of any manufacturer.

Guppy
    Just trying to keep in the back of my mind my bro bought some beautiful Dacors and then a few years later they go belly up. Then he turns around and buys the Sherwoods and then gets the crap scared out of him due to everyone talking about them freeflowing. Dive rite is big enough that I shouldn't have to worry much about them going under, right? I don't usually like to buy discontinued items that need maintenance, what if the part is special order and they discontinue that part next, thats my only concern. I still want to look into them though, just might have to buy a non discontinued reg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information