Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local Forum Shut Down by Banned Member

Local Forum Shut Down by Banned Member

This is local news but shocking to me in what happened. Reminds me a little of the ScubaBoard lawsuit fiasco and even that didn't shut it down. Anyway here is the notice sent out to forum members:

The AtlantaReefClub.org domain has been temporarily suspended. A banned users filed a copyright infringement notice against us, stating that we're showing his pictures from his own site. This is true, however, this user posted the images himself, and the ARC made no pretense that we own the images. Thus, we have not infringed on any copyright.

However, we must still go through the "proper channels" to resolve this with our provider, and are doing everything we can at the moment.

Once the site is back up, we will delete all posts by that user, if needed to satisfy the domain provider.

Until then, please excuse the temporary outage.

- ARC Support Staff
    I am sure all will end well but makes me worry what a disgruntled noise maker on a forum can ultimately achieve.

Grouper
    I used to be a very involved person in many online communities. Since I've parted ways with them and signiicantly reduced my time online I feel the née to apologize whenever I hear of situations like this.

People believe that being online and anonymous they can do whatever they want, and when they aren't allowed to they try to make other peoples lives miserable.

Just because you are an adult does not make you responsible nor mature. In fact most adults are immature. It really sadens me that with age there is no wisdom and no insight

my regards goes out to the Atlanta Reef Club

Grouper
    "Just because you are an adult does not make you responsible nor mature."

Participation in the frequent "ping pong" threads of several forums is a hobby for many bored adults and children.

They simply have nothing better to do, and have little knowledge and/or expertise to share.

Utter disruption of a valuable forum may be a source of joy and fulfillment. Perhaps their only source.
    Last edited by tonka97; 09-09-2010 at 07:12.
    "God is at the bottom of the sea and
    I dive to find him." Enzo Maiorca

Shark
    If you are referring to this forum, I hope you are not referring to me. If any of my posts appear inflammatory, I apologize, as that was not the intention in the least. :s
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Shark
    Images
    My heartfelt sympathy to those using the Atlanta Reef Club. Some people will never be happy....or nice. They want others to be as miserable as they are.
    B-man...I enjoy your posts. Some of the questions you've posed have made me think how would I assist a new to scuba student. That means you're helping me progress in my own scuba adventure.

Shark
    for the record, I am 16, I don't have 1200 posts yet, and I am presently getting certified.... I guess that means they weren't talking about me XD
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Barracuda
    To post your own pics, and then claim copyright infringement, takes a real petty little punk IMO. How's that saying go? The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs. Or, something like that.

It is a REALLY drama filled group. I think reef keepers tend to be more strange than the average Joe. Lots of strangeness has come out of the club in the past including some high profile pedophile arrests, showdowns over accounting irregularities, groups getting into feuds and creating their own sub groups just to name a few. The club really prepared me for ScubaBoard which is tame by comparison and it is downright low key around here.

Barracuda
    Images
    what a douche.
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg_Budd View Post
    what a douche.
    Nice short summery. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information