Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scary unedited near catastrophe video

Barracuda
    Images
    straight up nuts...
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

Quote Originally Posted by scubastud View Post
    I think this would be a great video to show in an advanced class, wow the students would have oodles to discuss wouldn't they?

Strike that, maybe better to show during an open water class... not to scare anyone, but to hit home how important it is to dive within your limits.

And SF yes, I agree extremly poor dive buddy-ness... cool I think I made up a word!
    I agree completely. Since the guy made it out alive despite what was stacked against them there are all kinds of great lessons to take out of this. Buddying, limits, panic control, proper equipment, dive planning, etc.

Like the rules we follow governing many other activities, SCUBA guidance is frequently written in the blood of those who did not survive.

Lack of discipline can be a killer, and it does not help, as mentioned in the analysis, that you can, "Go to virtually any resort with a wreck nearby and the divemasters will with a wink and nod either let you do a “simple swim through” or even take you there themselves. And thousand of divers every year accept the offer – some fatally, in spite of deficiencies in training, improper equipment and a host of other contra-indicators."

If dive supervisors do not demonstrate discipline, what should we expect from other divers?
    Chilly

Grouper
    I know im bumping an old thread...but this video gave me chills....It's schocking to see how close this was..

Barracuda
    This vid deserves viewing every once in a while. Especially for diver of my experience level (50-60 dives) who are getting the basic skills down pretty good and might lose track of the common sense. I have experienced my #1 dive buddy drifting in his situational experience when we both went over 40 dives, I was having a time getting equalized and he left me at 30' and kept going. I chilled at 10-15' near his bubble trail until he came back up.....20 minutes later. I appreciate those who share the bad things with the good. I really believe I learn more from the mistakes...and in diving, I cannot afford to learn from MY mistakes.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Very interesting. As the diver confesses, it went against all his training to do this dive, but he did it anyway. Temptation. We've all been there and gone against our better judgement. My only question: why no dive light and guideline to the exit? Had he those two simple items, alls well would end well.
    rick

Shark
    Images
    no dive light... man I bring my little back up light with me on day dives with no wrecks in sight... never know when ya want to peek in a little crevice or something and it is small and weighs hardly nothing...
    Old post, but glad it was resurrected.

Sine Timore!

Shark
    I agree 100%, with the move to wreck heaven(the keys) I have been thinking about what will come to be our focus of diving, the two things that brought us both to the sport, the overall desire to see wrecks, and the desire to see all the life.

In indiana not much in the way of wreck diving, knowing a wreck course on planes and tiny boats with instructors who have self admittedly have done very little wreck diving would not prepare us for diving wrecks like the speigel or the vanderberg. SO I put wreck diving and the cert out of my mine, with the move it came back quickly, every time I set two requirements for my self, at least 5 ocean dives, just diving before even booking a non penetration wreck dive and after getting acustom to the keys and so on, start looking for a highly recommended, highly experienced instructor to do the wreck cert, when the time was right.
    I think to show this during even the OW or at least the AOW and wreck certs would put the fear of god into folks like me who at first though who I will just roll though this plan I have never been on and honestly CAN NOT SEE THE OTHER WHOLE. It also shows, just how a well trained diver can male a mistake.

On a side not, might be me but, I carry a light peiord, now I do not carry the big fat huge torch I got, but the small light that like my knife is always clipped to my bc.

Glad to see this and will be showing my dad, amazing how a well trained diver can make so many minor to huge mistakes that add up buddy gone, no line, no light, going in when not prepared or comfortable 100%, not putting anyone down. God knows I made I mistakes this season, heck I LEARNED MORE ABOUT THE DOS AND DON'TS OF WRECK DIVING WATCHING AND READING THIS THEN i DID IN MY INTRO wreck dive for AOW.
    I commend the guy for his .. well courage to share the video, and for bringing himself out of a near total panic situation.

The diver's story and assesment, and the comments afterwards were well put together . I am liking this website.

I think this would be a great video to show in an advanced class, wow the students would have oodles to discuss wouldn't they?

Strike that, maybe better to show during an open water class... not to scare anyone, but to hit home how important it is to dive within your limits.

And SF yes, I agree extremly poor dive buddy-ness... cool I think I made up a word!

Shark
    that was my first stop sign, I was wondering why no one had no light, then figured well maybe the light is enough, then they roll down a dark hallway. GOds way of giving him a spanking I guess
    no dive light... man I bring my little back up light with me on day dives with no wrecks in sight... never know when ya want to peek in a little crevice or something and it is small and weighs hardly nothing...
    Old post, but glad it was resurrected.

Shark
    wow it was old, I vote we sticky this at the top
    Quote Originally Posted by thecheeseman View Post
    I know im bumping an old thread...but this video gave me chills....It's schocking to see how close this was..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information