Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have a diving issue

Shark
    Images
    I had the same problem at first. then I realized I needed to stop thinking about work while I dove!
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation. If you dont like this signature I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileybri View Post
    I had the same problem at first. then I realized I needed to stop thinking about work while I dove!
    Now that's too funny!!
    Seriously though, I think you all have valid points. My throat does dry out quickly and I probably don't drink enough water because I hate the thought of peeing in my wetsuit (but that would be better than gagging). I'll grab a Seacure mouthpiece at the shop today. They just looked so HUGE! I've been using the Comfo Bite Mouthpiece and it's better but not perfect I guess. I'll probably order the filter too. It has occurred to me that I'm not terribly relaxed. The vis where we've been diving has not been as good as I'd like to see and I have been a little tense. Next dive, I'll slow down a bit and try to relax and enjoy it more.
    Thanks for the input!!!

Shark
    Images
    In all seriousness though I had the very same problem. it resulted from my uvula drying out and sticking to the back of my throat. I had t through my first 20 dives or so when I was still a newish diver and breathing hard and nervous. As I gained more confidence, and slowed down my breathing a bit the problem went away for the most part. I tend to have a dry mouth when diving any way so fi I know i will be on an longer dive I bring a camel back hydration system with me and take small sips when I can. This made all the difference. just dont take to bog a sip and or choke!
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation. If you dont like this signature I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!

Shark
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chinacat46 View Post
    If it's a dry mouth issue you could try sucking on some hard candy. I like jolly rogers.

CC-- I know this was NO typo. I could so say something here, but I'd be Foo'd. Rightly so.

Thanks, Fab50, for the topic as I had a similar concern.

Shark Founding Member
    You're right that the SeaCure mouthpieces definitely ARE huge in their packages. The important point is that you can cut it down to whatever size YOU want. You might find that your mouth is less dry with a custom molded mouthpiece since you don't have to clamp down on it to keep it in your mouth. You can relax your jaw since you don't have to worry about losing your reg...and this might help you relax all over a bit since its one less thing to think about.

Let us know how it works out.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Guppy
    Rileybri! I think you've hit the nail on the head with your response! That's a great idea! While at the dive shop yesterday, another experienced diver also suggested that perhaps I should consider turning down the flow a bit on my reg. I think that may also help a bit since I had noticed that on our last 3 dives I had used more air than my DH! (that NEVER happened during training).
    Thanks so much for all your comments and suggestions. I'm really looking forward to my next dive rather than worrying about it!

Grouper
    Air flow too high could def do it, that could also cause your mouth to dry out fairly quickly which could be a bit of a cause like the others have said. However there is a bit more you can do about it while diving besides just turning down the airflow. On hour or longer dives i bring juice packs with me. The capri sun, or kool aid bag drinks are really good and nice and easy to carry with you.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
    Air flow too high could def do it, that could also cause your mouth to dry out fairly quickly which could be a bit of a cause like the others have said. However there is a bit more you can do about it while diving besides just turning down the airflow. On hour or longer dives i bring juice packs with me. The capri sun, or kool aid bag drinks are really good and nice and easy to carry with you.
    ok 2 questions for a newbie regarding dry throat bought a sherwood oasis cause it said it cools the air to help with the drying.
    still ended up with a very dry mouth and throat.
    Also I'm still hanging on the line awhile clearing my ears and the patient kind dive master recommended the usual blowing, jaw moving, and swallowing to clear them. Here's the problem. How can you swallow if your mouth and throat are as dry as a bone.

Also please explain the jolly ranchers can you really eat candy while diving?
    Alright one more question although it's a little off topic..
    Can anyone explain why I have trouble breathing when I first get settled in the boat after diving. Everyone else seems to be fine. Tired maybe, but fine. It seems to take me about 15 minutes to settle my breathing down to a normal rate. I also feel a little nauseous too.
    Oh I'm not seasick.
    This also happen with my ow dives too.

Grouper
    I personally dont think that a piece on a reg will make such a huge difference to prevent drymouth. The gas in tanks is very very dry and there isnt much you can do about it.

Yes you really can eat candy while diving....it takes a bit of getting used to and gotta be careful not to choke on it, this is why id rather bring a drink with me then candy.

About clearing your ears , just take you time there is no rush. Do you go down the line and then clear when you start to feel pressure? I start clearing in very shallow water before i start to feel any pressure and then clear often. If i do feel pressure, I acesnd a couple feet, clear, and continue decending. Clearing ears is a first of the dive thing so your throat shouldnt be that dry right off the get go. Make sure you are good and hydrated before getting in the water.

I find the only one that works for me to clear my ears is to plug my nose and try to breathe out through it. swallowing and wiggling my jaw just doenst seem to work for me.

The nauseous thing may be CO2 ? Im assuming that since it takes you time to settle your breathing above the water then you are breathing shallow and fast under the water? This can cause a bit of a CO2 buildup in your system, usually brought on by a bit of anxiety. Im sure the folks with a medical background will have a better idea.

Grouper
    Images
    Thanks for the equalization tips I have been the last one down, but I really don't care my ears are more important than my pride..
    As far as my breathing goes I'm not an air hog because as we did air checks with more experienced divers I was right with them.
    And I made a conscious effort to breath naturally slowly not too deeply, but still find myself almost hyperventilating on top.
    I feel like a jerk too. My girlfriend kept asking are you alright. Man it's embarrassing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information