Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I have a diving issue

Grouper Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Yaskowich View Post
    Have you tried Bonine? (Meclizine Hydrochloride 25mg). I usually get seasick on small boats but on my recent live-aboard vacation I took 1 in the morning and 1 at night. Worked like a charm!
    Over the years I have become a freaking zen master of sea sickness control.

I buy chewable meclizine from the pharmacist (about $6 for 100) take one the night before the barf inducing activity, then a half when I get up, another half an hour before the activity, then top off with 1/4's if needed throughout the day(s). Keeping a steady level of the med in my system makes it so I don't even feel the edges of motion sickness anymore.

Guppy
    I have tried all the OTC meds without success. I have had some luck using the chewable meclizine if I lose the patch during a dive and it certainly helped keep me from barfing. I have suffered with extreme motion sickness all my life (parents first noticed it on a road trip to FL when I was 6 weeks old) and the patch is, by FAR, the best remedy out there for me. Luckily, I can still enjoy diving with meds and have had no adverse effects of the patch other than dry mouth and some blurred vision.

A non-medical based thought. Is it possible that you have an allergy to the mouth piece material? The man I learned to dive from in Cyprus developed an allergy which made diving difficult; not great if that is how you make your living. Possible solution: change of mouth piece material, or anti-allergy meds. First though, a DR's visit to see if my idea has any value.

Good luck.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    It does sound like you have a sensitive gag reflex. A different mouth piece is a good suggestion. If dry mouth is part of the equation then you might also try something like Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Regulators: Bio-Filter. It will reduce the dry mouth and possibility eliminate the gagging.
    Wow. That product sounds unreal...I would love to try one out.

Shark Founding Member
    I know this is an older thread, but to the OP, buy some waterproof bandaids (the clear kind). Cut the sticky ends off and use them to anchor your patch down. I used to do this when I used a patch and have NEVER lost one...even on liveaboards diving 4-5x per day! There's also an oral version of the patch, ask your doctor about Scopace
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    I know this is an older thread, but to the OP, buy some waterproof bandaids (the clear kind). Cut the sticky ends off and use them to anchor your patch down. I used to do this when I used a patch and have NEVER lost one...even on liveaboards diving 4-5x per day! There's also an oral version of the patch, ask your doctor about Scopace
    Great tip. I'll have to pass that along to my dad, who often has trouble with patches.

TadPole
    i used to have a gag issue to, but i found out that since i have two partial plates in my mouth (which i have had since i was 8 yrs old) I had to use fixadent or something of the same nature to prevent gagging. But i also have a small mouth that jaw is shifted to the right by cm so i got one of the moldable mouth pieces and i dont have gag issues no more.

TadPole
    Fab you might want to check out ginger. It naturally soothes the stomach and calms nerves. Ginger snaps, pickles ginger, and ginger based foods are often recommended with those that have aversive reations due to motion sickness or uneasy nerves. Also, just wondering...if you have an overactive gag reflex you would most likely see it in other activities (ex. Brushing your teeth). If you are not seeing it during those times I would be akin to think its psycosamatic or nerve based. Just some food for thought....no pun intended.
    I hope it all works out for you. Sounds like you already have it on the ropes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information