Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a diving issue

Guppy

I have a diving issue

You guys seem to be the most helpful group I've encountered on the net so here goes...
    This is beginning to be a problem. About 15 mins into a dive I start gagging. I have less than 10 dives, all in fresh water. No panic involved, I just start gagging and have to literally talk myself out of doing it. After a couple of mins, I can usually get control of myself and continue on but it's embarrassing!!! My DH/Dive Buddy has even turned around to see if I was ok. I've tried changing mouthpieces because I have a tiny mouth and the one that came with my reg rubbed and was just too big. That helped some but I still have a problem. I did notice that if water leaks into my mask and touches my nose that it's worse so I tried clearing my mask more often on my last dive. I did NOT have this issue when doing my pool work or on my certification dives, but did experience it on my first OW dive on our own. Suggestions please?!?!
    BTW...I do the same when they do xrays at the dentist office.

Shark Founding Member
    First thing I would strongly suggest is that you buy a SeaCure mouth piece. You can mold it and trim it to fit your mouth anyway you need to. With a small mouth, a customizable mouthpiece is essential. I'd bet that once your mouthpiece was perfect, you wouldn't have as many issues in other areas.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Megalodon
    Images
    is it possible that you have a very sensitive gag reflex? The fact that it happens 15 minutes into the dive is interesting... One thing I can hypothesize that at the 15 minute mark, your throat may be a little dry so the saliva is a little thicker and is irritating your throat. Maybe better/good hydration prior to the dive will help. That it happens with dental x-rays adds to it as well. I don't know if they make a shortened mouthpiece, but if they do, that may help. Sorry, I can't be of more help than this.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Guppy
    I agree with Zenagirl. I never had a gagging problem, but the molded mouthpiece was a great idea (except when practising buddy breathing and the other guy has to use it).

It does sound like you have a sensitive gag reflex. A different mouth piece is a good suggestion. If dry mouth is part of the equation then you might also try something like Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Regulators: Bio-Filter. It will reduce the dry mouth and possibility eliminate the gagging.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Yup .... think about trying a Seacure. I've always had a super-sensitive gag reflex due to a small mouth. I hated having x-rays done at the dentist's until they started using the bite-wings for kids on me. I had the same problem as you with the regular mouthpiece that came with my first reg. Got a Seacure. Since you mold it to your bite you end up with less jaw strain and you can trim the ends super short to avoid the gag-reflex problem.

Grouper
    Images
    My wife had a problem with dry mouth causing her to gag, so I purchased her a Bio Filter and it helped her a lot.
    “If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” -- Jimmy Buffett
    http://www.mandtoates.net/diveblog/ -- http://www.westernmarylanddivers.com/index.php

Barracuda Founding Member
    Both the mouthpiece and biofilter are good suggestions. However, I also think Navy is on to something with the hydration.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Barracuda
    Images
    maybe you are just super excited? anxious? next time you dive, just go zen and take everything real slow and chilled out...
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

Funeral Jorunna
    If it's a dry mouth issue you could try sucking on some hard candy. I like jolly rogers.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information