Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Side Mount for Solo?

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    I wonder what kind of cookies we get?

Mabe I won't sell my transpac like I was planning....
    SM are using Transpac as base and using the Rec and Vertura wings without the butt plate. They put 4 D-Rings to the waist belt and dive AL80s. All they do is mount the wing on the inside of the TransPac and run the bungees over the wing to help hold it down. Here is a link Sidemount Equipment PADI and DSAT Sidemount Scuba Diving Training Course Director Steve Martin
    - Dennis ><()))">

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gNats View Post
    Mind you, I haven't had to do a valve shutoff drill during an emergency, but how is the sidemount all that different from doubles if the diver can execute the shutoff?

Let's just stick to the question here guys and for sake of argument let's assume the diver can promptly perform the drill?

Diving a sidemount or doubles with the isolator closed would have the same effect right?
    You can see the valves and they is no getting it wrong the first time - it's ether our left or right tank and obvious which one it is. The more mature divers and flexibility become a issue, reaching the values and doing shutdowns are easier on SM than BM doubles.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileybri View Post
    I'll let you guys be the beta testers and if you survive and side mounts survive to the time I am ready to give them a try then I am very much game to take em out for a spin....
    Since I have been doing SM I don't think any two dives were configured the same, always tweeking something.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    You can see the valves and they is no getting it wrong the first time - it's ether our left or right tank and obvious which one it is. The more mature divers and flexibility become a issue, reaching the values and doing shutdowns are easier on SM than BM doubles.
    Thanks Dennis. I've always associated the sidemount rig with divers in caves or wrecks squeezing through small and confined areas. I saw one video where a sidemount caver diver did unclip one end of each tank, push them through the hole, and then pull himelf through after them.

Taking your comments into consideration, I can see the huge benefits.
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Grouper
    Images
    A side mount dive is a solo dive with company, and the way that they should be planned. If your friend happens to see you and offer help it is much appreciated but not necessary. At least that is the way I feel and my buddies feel. I am hoping this economy thing gets better soon so i can actually go out and dive again.

Guppy
    Pete makes a great point and I want to be clear - in my mind, there is a huge difference between diving in a sidemount configuration and making a sidemount dive. The ipmetus of this thread was whether or not sidemount was suitable for solo diving, and the short answer really is an easy "yes." The training will definitely put you on a path with some of the skills you will need to do solo dives. Sidemount configuration might even be an ideal choice for solo diving in some cases. But sidemount diving (i.e. tight passage in overhead) is a totally different animal.

gNats is also right...if the diver in doubles (manifolded tanks) can perform an isolator shut down proficiently, he or she effectively has the same gas redundancy. Same is true for a diver in twins (independent tanks). But, like CWSWine says, wearing the tanks on your sides has the added advantage of quickly reaching and addressing problems on your valves, because they are right in front of you.

One last note, comet24 asked about deco bottles and stages...that's one of the things that I've been working on tweaking. I had been carrying them below me, like I do in backmount, but now I'm alternately carrying them "Sorenson Style" ABOVE my tanks, which I really like. Overall, managing them isn't much different - if your sidemount tanks are where they should be, they don't interfere either way.

I'm by no means trying to start passing koolaid and cookies around. Sidemount is growing in popularity largely because gear and training are becoming more available on a commercial basis, but we are a long ways from having a "Hogarthian" style to look to for guidance. In some ways, that makes it appealing, but now I'm starting to ramble off topic...

...so I'll stop!
    Michael

For strange effects and extraordinary combinations we must go to life itself, which is always far more daring than any effort of the imagination. - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Megalodon
    Images
    Mike, IMHO, you are a great source of information on the subject since you dive them and I definitely respect your opinon and advice-as I do others here as well.
    Thanks for the information, it is greatly appreciated.

But, no cookies or koolaid?

Thanks again. You da man!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

I would love to try the side mount system and to me it would seem to be a great system but I will defer to those who know the system and dive them.

Shark
    A thread a month old, and I am brought up in the second post, god am I that popular, LOL. so do I need a cert to side mount when diving solo???????
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileybri View Post
    See Big that is how you ask a question about solo dive gear! lol

Megalodon
    Images
    I wouldn't say it's popularity big... Get the higher certs and more risky tpye of dives out of your mind and just go dive! Forget more gear, more tanks, more classes, find a good knowledgable mentor and dive! Gain expierence and solid skills first. After 4-5 years, rethink higer risk diving.

You are still IMO a dangerous diver. You appear to not concentrate on where you are and how to improve your current skils-get them dialed in first. But then again, myself and others have made repeated this advice to you with no avail.

If this post was intended to be humorous, it failed.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information