Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: keeping a camera housing from fogging up

  1. #11
    The cheapest method and "free" (if you are a female or with your female partner) is stuff a tampon or 2 in the housing with your camera. The tampon absorbs moisture real well.

  2. #12
    Grouper
    Join Date
    11/23/2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    269
    Images
    14
    NOne of the posts that I have read mentioned putting cameras in the buckets of water (not for cleaning/rinsing goggles) that I see on my tropical dives. I guess to keep the cameras at a temperature closer to ocean water (than air temps).

  3. #13
    Barracuda
    Join Date
    08/28/2007
    Location
    JEFFERSON TEXAS
    Posts
    1,052
    These are good suggestions, especially since I just got camera for diving, I need all the knowledge I can get!

  4. #14
    Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/11/2007
    Location
    Studio City, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,410
    Quote Originally Posted by TRACI View Post
    These are good suggestions, especially since I just got camera for diving, I need all the knowledge I can get!
    If you're diving locally, I'd say just dive without worrying about it for a little bit before tracking down exotic tools to deal with an issue you may or may not even have. I've only had my camera fog up on me twice in my life, and I've never used anything to control fogging.

    Note I'm only talking about local test dives where fogging, if it happens, isn't a terrible loss. If you're traveling somewhere, by all means use something just in case, since those photos are more valuable and irreplaceable.

  5. #15
    Barracuda
    Join Date
    08/28/2007
    Location
    JEFFERSON TEXAS
    Posts
    1,052
    My first dive will be in the ocean in January, maybe fogging will not be a issue. (hopefully)

  6. #16
    Barracuda
    Join Date
    07/30/2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,226
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by PhD4JC View Post
    NOne of the posts that I have read mentioned putting cameras in the buckets of water (not for cleaning/rinsing goggles) that I see on my tropical dives. I guess to keep the cameras at a temperature closer to ocean water (than air temps).
    Leaving a camera in a plastic bag (ok, container) in the sun is a very bad thing to do... with a lot more concerns than just moisture inside the case..temperatures inside the case could reach more than 140 degrees, and damage both the case and the camera.... a camera bucket is your friend.

  7. #17
    Barracuda
    Join Date
    07/30/2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,226
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by TRACI View Post
    My first dive will be in the ocean in January, maybe fogging will not be a issue. (hopefully)
    Make sure you open and load under air conditioning and use the air drying pouches... never had an issue, even when diving cold to hot and hot to cold.

  8. #18
    Grouper
    Join Date
    07/31/2007
    Location
    United States North Carolina
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TRACI View Post
    My first dive will be in the ocean in January, maybe fogging will not be a issue. (hopefully)
    Make sure you open and load under air conditioning and use the air drying pouches... never had an issue, even when diving cold to hot and hot to cold.
    do you just use the little silica gel packs that come in packaging or the moisture munchers

  9. #19
    Barracuda
    Join Date
    07/30/2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,226
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheeldiver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TRACI View Post
    My first dive will be in the ocean in January, maybe fogging will not be a issue. (hopefully)
    Make sure you open and load under air conditioning and use the air drying pouches... never had an issue, even when diving cold to hot and hot to cold.
    do you just use the little silica gel packs that come in packaging or the moisture munchers
    I use moisture munchers, but any one should work...I have never had even the slightest fogging...and I get around a year on a moisture muncher (they don't go bad... I just seem to loose one a year (?))

  10. #20
    Grouper Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/13/2007
    Location
    FLL
    Posts
    258
    Whenever I go diving on a trip, I try to keep the silica gel packs exposed to the air to a minimum!

    When I take out my camera, I hurry and close the housing with the silicia gels inside it to keep it dry. Ambient air has plenty of moisture and it renders those useless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for a good UW housing
    By BuzzGA in forum Gear Information
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 22:28
  2. Canon XTi housing
    By jsmharley in forum Gear Information
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-28-2007, 01:14
  3. Mask de-fogging
    By picxie in forum Mask / Snorkels / Fins
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 16:19
  4. Housing problem
    By namabiru in forum Underwater Photography
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 11:57
  5. Oxygen clean and keeping it that way
    By paintsnow in forum Tanks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 23:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •