Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: keeping a camera housing from fogging up

Grouper

keeping a camera housing from fogging up

I have found that keeping a camera in the cooler unsealed before diving has prevented fogging. I just wipe out the condensation before going down. I tried before this to keep it clear with the defog that cam with it, but I either put to little and fogged or to much and it dried messing up my shots. Does anyone have a better way to keep it from fogging?

Grouper
    Images
    Are you having trouble fogging before or during the dive?

If before the dive - you just need to keep the housing at the same temperature/humidity as the ambient - bringing the housing from an air conditioned cabin/car to a humid bench will gaurantee fogging. Conversely - if you load and seal the housing in an air conditioned environment (also dehumidified), you'll be all right. (outside window might fog, but this will go away when you get in the water).

If you are having trouble fogging underwater, it is caused by your camera heating up - probably from using the internal flash. Put in a couple packs of dessicant before you seal your housing - and you should be set.
    Underwater photography addict
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bversteegh/

Guppy
    Images
    I've found that loading the camera in an air conditioned room helps. I never open the housing outside of my room if I can help it. I also use desiccants in the housing. The ones I like the best are about 1 inch long cylinders that change color when they are damp. They are blue when dry & pink when they need to be changed. Before a trip I put them in the oven for several hours and dry them out.

Shark Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WestTnDiver View Post
    I've found that loading the camera in an air conditioned room helps. I never open the housing outside of my room if I can help it. I also use desiccants in the housing. The ones I like the best are about 1 inch long cylinders that change color when they are damp. They are blue when dry & pink when they need to be changed. Before a trip I put them in the oven for several hours and dry them out.
    cant they be put into the microwave to dry them out or is it better to put them in the oven???

Phil

Grouper
    Most of my fogging problems happened at depth. I like the idea of sealing it an air conditioned enviroment. I'll also have to try the desiccants. Where is a good place to get them?

Guppy
    Images
    I've melted a few in the microwave so I stick to the oven on low - 125 or 150. I put them on a baking pan separated by an inch or so. I also use some of the ones that come in a little paper bag.
    I googled moisture munchers and bought the ones that would fit in my housing - these are the ones that change color. They come in different sizes. Another couple of sources of the ones that don't change color are shoe stores - the ones in some of the shoe boxes fit. My pharmacist also collected an assortment from drug bottles. Most of them were too big but they were free!

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Here is a link...

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...ODUCT_ID=SL911

Those may work for keeping the moisture out.
    Never Underestimate....

OW, AOW, NITROX

Guppy
    Images
    The manager of my LDS said he puts SeaIce (solid defog) on the inside of the lens, and then buffs it clear. Says it works like a champ. I haven't had a problem, but I only dive warm water, and apparently my camera runs pretty cool.
    Whatever doesn't kill me...usually hurts alot and tends to pi$$ me off.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Mine has only fogged up once, ever, so I don't usually worry about it.

But dessicants and loading your camera in the AC are the way to go if you're having issues.

Buy the good rechargeable ones (I find toaster ovens work well), don't cheap out and try to re-use the little packets that come with vitamins, shoes and various small electronics. They're usually already saturated by the time you get them, and don't recharge well.

Guppy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    Mine has only fogged up once, ever, so I don't usually worry about it.

But dessicants and loading your camera in the AC are the way to go if you're having issues.

Buy the good rechargeable ones (I find toaster ovens work well), don't cheap out and try to re-use the little packets that come with vitamins, shoes and various small electronics. They're usually already saturated by the time you get them, and don't recharge well.

Definitely agree with coumpudude about inserting rechargeable dessicant in the camera housing and/or strobe housing and sealing the housing in an AC'd room. I do so about an hour or so before the 1st dive, and don't have fogging issues, despite the heat that can build up in the camera/strobe housings while diving.

I also tried to nuke the reusable dessicant cartridges (that look like old the Schaefer fountain pen ink catridges... showing my age I guess) in a microwave... just malforms the dessicant cartridge's casing and renders them essentially unusable. Low level oven heat on a cookie tray seems to work to get the dessicant cartridges to dry out, i.e., go from pink (damp) to blue. Note that any subsequent exposure to humidity is absorbed by the cartridges... so you may wish to keep them stored in a vacuum sealed bag once recharged.

I'm new to u/w photography and have a Sealife DC 500 with the digital strobe. Not top of the line by any means, but it works for me... a diver who likes to take u/w photos of my dives... since I'm no u/w photographer.... yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information