Thread: Bare vs Neosport??

TadPole

Bare vs Neosport??

I'm looking to get a 3mm suit. Does anyone have any opinions on either the Neosport or Bare 3mm suits. I'm also considering the Akona 3mm suit. I have used an Akona 3mm before on a ocean dive. Are either of these two brands better or worse than the Akona suit? I have heard neither of these two suits seal very well? Whats everyone's thoughts??

Megalodon
    Images
    I have a Bare Pinnacle 3/5 that I use for a lot of my diving and it is a good suit, comfortable and very warm. I will say that it does have a bit of leak at the back of the neck seal unless you wear a hood. For cooler tropical waters, I use a Neosport 3/2 and I like it quite a bit. I've not noticed a seal issue with it, even in 60f water.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    Just bought the 3/2 Neosport for my wife for our Roatan trip. Haven't used it, but my sister-in-law has one and likes it. Can give you first hand knowledge when we get back.

Snagel

Shark
    Images
    I have a Neosport 3/2 and used it for 3 days this weekend. I liked it -- easy on/off for me. My problem is the arm seal as my wrists are smaller. I used gloves that helped some. This suit will work well if I put my another under it for more warmth.

Shark
    Images
    NeoSport is Hendricsons(sp) budge line. I have a Neo 5/7 that has served me well for a 3 seasons now.
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation. If you dont like this signature I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!

Barracuda
    Skip looking at the brand and buy the suit that fits you, if that happens to be "Buck's Discount Wetsuit Co." then that's the suit you need to buy. A great fitting cheap suit is way better than an ill fitting top quality suit.

In my case, the Neosport suits fit me well and have been durable.
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Barracuda
    We have Neosport X-Span 5mm suits, and they're great. The neck closure and lumbar padding fully prevents leaks down our spine...at least, that's our experience. Try the X-Span line from Neosport if you want some real comfort. Like Riley said, Neosport is Henderson's budget line, and I think the X-Span series is the budget version of the hyperflex suits...but, several hundred dollars less.

TadPole
    Between rentals and the stuff I've owned, I've seen quite a bit of Neosport stuff. I think the main selling point for that company is that their stuff is basic, tough and inexpensive.

TadPole
    I have been diving with the Neosport X-span for 3 years and over a hundred dives on it. It is holding up very well. I use it for diving in very warm waters 82 to 85f and its 3mm. Its fine for a couple of dives a day. On my last trip we were down 6 hours a day and I could have used something warmer. Its extremely comfortable and easy on and off.

As far as fit goes, I'm going to agree with Defman. Everyone's body is different. I've tried on wetsuits which are triple the cost of NeoSport and they didn't fit well at all.

That said, if Bare, NeoSport and Akona all fit you the same then I'd rank then in the same order: Bare, NeoSport, Akona. My current shop sells Bare and they work well. Comfortable and don't compress as much at depth. I haven't used the NeoSport but my former shop used to sell the Akona. I'd never buy one again. The only thing it had going for me was the price. They are definitely inexpensive. However my Akona fit well but still didn't keep me as warm as an Oceaner, Henderson or Bare wetsuit.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Thread Information