Thread: Dogwood Springs @ Ginnie

TadPole

Dogwood Springs @ Ginnie

Decided to grab a pony bottle and stick my head in to Dogwood springs on my last trip to Ginnie. With a 3mm shorty, I am perfectly neutral (sink like a rock without a wetsuit). Breath out, decent, breath in, ascend... PERFECT. So head first in to Dogwood with a 19cuft pony bottle and a suicide rig. This was a straight down, no overhead dive. Poked my head in far enough to wonder if it was even "no-mountable". When I got home, found a map of the entire system. Turns out it is no-mount dive, but there is enough room to get your tank back on before going too far in. Also turns out some free-diving college kid got past the first no-mount restriction, and ran out of air. Evolution at work.

Megalodon
    Images
    Ummmm.... Okaaay.... I hate to say this, especially since you're a new member and all, but for the sake of safety: you went into a sping and more so into the sink of a sping with a 19 cu ft? Forgive me, but that does not sound like the most responsible of diving, where was your buddy? what did he/she have? I'll leave it at that.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    that spring does go a little ways. be careful.

TadPole
    Buddy was standing watch on the limestone shelf with a mask and 6 cuft pony in hand, keeping an eye on my curious butt. Went down with 3000#, surfaced with 2700# (does it still count as a suicide rig if I have a pony bottle SPG on the 1st stage?).

I did not pass any restrictions, enter any overhead environment, have any chance of going beyond the easy reach of daylight (either by penetration or silt), and had a buddy within free diving distance with a completely redundant source of air. I am not trying to argue, just indicate that I had my self very well covered. Although, the 6 cuft pony could have been clipped on me, for a little bit more safety.

Megalodon
    Images
    IMHO, it counts as a suicide rig and a suicide dive as you're using a 19 cu ft (read NO room for error) and a buddy with a 6 cu ft pony (read this as he doesn't have enough air for himself, much less you!) For starters you need far bigger tanks. Even something like that needs at least a 72 - 63 if you're real good. a 6 and 19 barely count as bail outs, 19's barely as ponies. Remember, a bail out is a CESA that you can take one or two breaths off. Pony is breath to the surface. While I will admitI don't know the spring, to me this screams; "Don't do it!!!!"

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

TadPole
    see http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/10371521.jpg
    The ledge is between 3 and 4 feet below water. The spring is fairly open to a depth of about 15'. My wrist mounted computer read 19' with my arm stretched down in to the hole. I could free dive easily to where I was. According to: http://www.floridacaves.com/dogwoodmap.JPG
    The cave entrance was a foot further down. The free diving kid the drowned was past that first restriction between 20 and 37 feet marked on the map. I was not even on the map.

I disagree that a 19 cuft tank is to small for any dive. Depends on the dive. 19 cubic feet lasts quite a bit of time at <20' deep. I have played around with the 6' tank attached to me as I snorkel, and I have no problem taking that to below 20'. It gives me a few minutes at that depth, and I am well within an OOA swimming ascent. I had at least 10 minutes on the 19' tank, and planned to be down for 2 or 3 max.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwood_60 View Post
    see http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/10371521.jpg
    The ledge is between 3 and 4 feet below water. The spring is fairly open to a depth of about 15'. My wrist mounted computer read 19' with my arm stretched down in to the hole. I could free dive easily to where I was. According to: http://www.floridacaves.com/dogwoodmap.JPG
    The cave entrance was a foot further down. The free diving kid the drowned was past that first restriction between 20 and 37 feet marked on the map. I was not even on the map.

I disagree that a 19 cuft tank is to small for any dive. Depends on the dive. 19 cubic feet lasts quite a bit of time at <20' deep. I have played around with the 6' tank attached to me as I snorkel, and I have no problem taking that to below 20'. It gives me a few minutes at that depth, and I am well within an OOA swimming ascent. I had at least 10 minutes on the 19' tank, and planned to be down for 2 or 3 max.
    You shouldn't be commenting on what amount of gas is appropriate for cave diving IMO. You have no experience at it, nor are you educated on the real dangers and what it takes to handle it when things go wrong.

Dogwood is a no mount cave that is extremely small and silty. Not for a beginner, and not really worth much risk for anyone.
    http://jamesg.net
    -James Garrett

Barracuda
    lol, when your 3mil suit eventually compresses at depth you'll lose buoyancy and sink, and bad news to cave dive with no training.
    Last edited by UCFKnightDiver; 10-20-2010 at 18:00.
    When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

TadPole
    You guys are all correct... and since there was no cave dive going on, I have no argument. IIRC, you have to go IN the cave, to call it a cave dive. Maybe "This was a straight down, no overhead dive." was not clear.

And yes, my wet suit will loose some buoyancy. It is nearly negligible it being 10+ years old, and and long since broken down any closed cell structure. On top of that, I can still swim and/or climb very easily to a point where I can stand with my head above water.

Thread Information