Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: when is it ok to think about cavern dives and doing the cert?

Shark
    Images
    I can think of a couple divers that should never be in an overhead enviorment of any sort. (this includes water overhead)

Sine Timore!

I think about it as something I thing I would like to try, but I know my skillset is not ready for such a class.

Barracuda
    I've dove Bonne Terre Mines. They don't allow lights on the first few trails because it ruins the ability to see many of the cooler 'shadow' features but mostly because they get mostly newbie divers there who just frenetically shine their lights in everydirection and in everyone elses eyes. The place is essentially a giant lake that is underground. You start your dives with a surface swim to the trail head then descend and follow the leader. On the first section of trails there are a few short tunnel sections they take you through, though the surface is mostly not far away. As you get into the upper trail numbers you encounter more tunnels and longer, smaller overhead environments.

The water is a constant 58* and the place is generally dark. I've been told they've had quite a few divers who claimed to be "advanced" freak out early in the dives and thumb the dive. They also told us that many divers sign up for two dives and after the first decide to sit out the second.

The divers in our group had certs ranging from AN/DP up to full cave. There were 6 of us and we were accompanied by a DM leading us, one following at the rear, and a third off to the side checking on people as they went. We dove trails to 6-10 with a few detours to show us cooler things. Unlike the lower numbered trails where the overheads were brief and large we went into a few tunnels that were longer and ~5'-6' square, some with mine carts you had squeeze around and boards blocking the exit you had to fit through.

The general consensus among our group was the lower trails were great for newer divers but we all found them boring. The trails past those were more interesting to all of us exept the full cave diver, who thought they were "OK."

I'll see if I still have some pics of it.

Grouper
    Images
    I would suggest that you find a Cavern instructor when you are down in Florida. Take the class from an instructor from NSS-CDS or NACD. When you find an instructor talk to them, try to get in the water with them and have them evaluate you to see if they think that you are ready to take the class. Every diver is different in terms of skills underwater. Some people take very well to the skills and it seems easy, while others it takes a long time to be comfortable. I tend to think that from cavern on up, just because you paid money for a certification does not mean that you will get the certification. Most instructors will work with you and get train you to meet their standards or better.

Shark
    Agreed, I talked with a guy a month ago who dove in the 1990s. He got his cert(padi) and 10 dives later got his AOW(padi) all withen 6 months and stopped in 2000 said he has about 22 dives under his belt. When I told him we were going to florida and if he wanted to split a second room with him he could tang along, not like we would pay more for gas if he went. He asked me what kind of diving I would be doing, I told him I was hoping to do some drift(ft lauderdale bring drift), I told him they had some wrecks and he said "ohh I have always wanted to go into a big ship wrecks." I asked him if he wanted to do his wreck cert, or if he had it. He said why do I need that.

Saturday, we will be certified down to 90 feet(AOW) does that mean I will be qualified to do so, under my own standards or any real diver, NO.

IT is like anything else, you can read a book, take a test, and do it once, but that does not make you qualified.

I think when we get down there I will look for a instructor who does some of the more technique stuff, IE cave deep wreck and such. TO start learning with, not so much cave or wreck, but just learn from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Pete View Post
    I would suggest that you find a Cavern instructor when you are down in Florida. Take the class from an instructor from NSS-CDS or NACD. When you find an instructor talk to them, try to get in the water with them and have them evaluate you to see if they think that you are ready to take the class. Every diver is different in terms of skills underwater. Some people take very well to the skills and it seems easy, while others it takes a long time to be comfortable. I tend to think that from cavern on up, just because you paid money for a certification does not mean that you will get the certification. Most instructors will work with you and get train you to meet their standards or better.

Shark
    Even very experienced cave divers, and wreck divers drown.
    Check out: www.divermag.com It's a recurring theme.

To me, it's like when you are watching a horror movie, and someone is about to open the door of a spooky old cabin, and you want to yell, "Don't go in there!"
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Barracuda
    You'll be ready when you don't feel it's anybody's business and you don't feel you need their approval.
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by gNats View Post
    You'll be ready when you don't feel it's anybody's business and you don't feel you need their approval.

Shark
    I know buddy, not looking to get into cave diving, my biggest thought is it would help with some wreck diving, not talking penetrating the big O, but the small ships like off of florida. I know I yelled at the TV the other day cause a woman opted to run for the kitchen for a steak knife and not pick up the gun the guy she kicked in the nuts dropped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    Even very experienced cave divers, and wreck divers drown.
    Check out: www.divermag.com It's a recurring theme.

To me, it's like when you are watching a horror movie, and someone is about to open the door of a spooky old cabin, and you want to yell, "Don't go in there!"

Shark
    So does that mean I am ready to solo????. Like solo, I do not feel it is really anyones business to just tell a diver do not do it, for what ever reason. But I open it up for them to say so when I ask, I ask because I DO NOT WANT TO DROWN.

I never feared it until my reg free flowed the other day and I had to grab my octo, now I kind of fear or well respect it, honestly if I was stuck and was going to drown I think my knife would be the better way to go.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information