Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Deco Diving

  1. #21
    Barracuda Noob's Avatar
    Join Date
    09/18/2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,011
    AfterDark, Yeah that is one reason I havent done it yet. Right now I dont want to get way into it but I think next year I'll take 1 tec class to start the deco learning. Its where I want to be. Like SSMDive said. Most of the cool stuff is deep. And going to 130ft for a couple min isnt worth it. LOL

    I realized where I wanted to head after rescue class.

  2. #22
    Grouper
    Join Date
    01/20/2011
    Location
    Indiana..more or less
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterDark View Post
    Hey Noob nobody mentioned it in this thread and you may know by now, but getting deco certs is a very costly process. That is in the thousands of dollars depending how far you want to go. Then of course a rebreather is really the best way to do deco diving for a host of reasons that's more $$$$ in equipment and training. Deco is not rocket science or magic but you need to know what you need to know.
    From my research, a rebreather isn't cost effective compared to OC. There are a ton of posts on rebreather world and the deco stop about this. You have to dive A LOT and go deeper than 150' to make it worth the money PER dive. Probably the cost of gear is about the same. Maintenance and gas really adds up fast on a rebreather. Would it be easier, I'm sure it would.

    With that said..I started deco diving because I wanted to see deeper stuff and spend more than a few minutes. I can do that now but like others have said..hanging on the deco line really sucks.
    I took helitrox class earlier this year and really loved it. It was an easy class but it made diving to 150' so much clearer. I can now think.

  3. #23
    Guppy
    Join Date
    09/09/2009
    Location
    United States,RI,Richmond
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    From my research, a rebreather isn't cost effective compared to OC. There are a ton of posts on rebreather world and the deco stop about this. You have to dive A LOT and go deeper than 150' to make it worth the money PER dive. Probably the cost of gear is about the same. Maintenance and gas really adds up fast on a rebreather. Would it be easier, I'm sure it would.

    With that said..I started deco diving because I wanted to see deeper stuff and spend more than a few minutes. I can do that now but like others have said..hanging on the deco line really sucks.
    I took helitrox class earlier this year and really loved it. It was an easy class but it made diving to 150' so much clearer. I can now think.
    My refrence to rebreathers wasn’t to infer that they are more cost effective for deco, though, I’m not surprised they are not, it’s a big investment. I had in mind more the convience of being able to use different gas mixtures without slinging a lot of bottles, not having to switch regulators and having a sizable reserve should it be needed, as everyone knows a diver can’t have too much gas. IMHO rebreathers are much more suited to deco diving than OC. That being said I still use OC and use only air when I do deco.

  4. #24
    Grouper
    Join Date
    01/20/2011
    Location
    Indiana..more or less
    Posts
    296
    Gotcha, I thought that was what you were trying to say but it wasn't coming through. I'm still thinking about a SCR.

  5. #25
    Barracuda
    Join Date
    04/29/2010
    Location
    Glenford, Ohio
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,308
    The reasons to learn diving skills in the tec realm are typically to get more time to see what you can see or to be able to get to what you want to see. I am still heading in that direction and will be longer now that I feel IDC should be MY next step.
    My caution is: The fundamental knowledge to do really deep dives an the performance of deco is pretty easy, the caveat is that the truth is, it is more about skills and being able to deal with unforseen issues as the surface is no longer an option.
    I will get to the wrecks I want to see someday, and feel my skills are pretty good and I don't really need the surface, but I will go get the training before I dive them.
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

  6. #26
    Guppy
    Join Date
    09/09/2009
    Location
    United States,RI,Richmond
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    AfterDark, Yeah that is one reason I havent done it yet. Right now I dont want to get way into it but I think next year I'll take 1 tec class to start the deco learning. Its where I want to be. Like SSMDive said. Most of the cool stuff is deep. And going to 130ft for a couple min isnt worth it. LOL

    I realized where I wanted to head after rescue class.
    Noob, I'll tell you what, I went to Morehead City NC this past June and did some of the coolest wreck diving I've done in a long time, did not go below 130fsw but did "play" my PDC (changing depth from deep to shallow and back and back......) to max my diving time. I could have gone into deco but didn't since these were rec dives and we were asked not to do deco. NC is THE place to dive wrecks on the East coast. The water is relativley warm and clear, on the Papoose we had 61F @ 130fsw with 100' vis to a RI diver that's heaven!

  7. #27
    Barracuda Noob's Avatar
    Join Date
    09/18/2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,011
    That is one place I would love to dive. Its one of the must do in the next year or two.

  8. #28
    Grouper
    Join Date
    01/20/2011
    Location
    Indiana..more or less
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterDark View Post
    Noob, I'll tell you what, I went to Morehead City NC this past June and did some of the coolest wreck diving I've done in a long time, did not go below 130fsw but did "play" my PDC (changing depth from deep to shallow and back and back......) to max my diving time. I could have gone into deco but didn't since these were rec dives and we were asked not to do deco. NC is THE place to dive wrecks on the East coast. The water is relativley warm and clear, on the Papoose we had 61F @ 130fsw with 100' vis to a RI diver that's heaven!
    The only bad part is that the weather is usually a huge crap shoot. I've been twice to that area and got blown out both trips. One was for 4 days and the other 3. I still want to go back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Deco Tables
    By mzbdiver in forum Comments or Questions that don't fit above!
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 17:01
  2. deco software
    By doczerothree in forum DIR & Tec Gear
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2008, 14:55
  3. tank stickers/deco
    By missnumnutz in forum Scuba Stories, Comments & Questions that don't fit elsewhere!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 08:54
  4. Deco Stop
    By SiscoKid in forum Comments or Questions that don't fit above!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 22:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •