Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100ft Away From Jetties

Barracuda Founding Member

Two weeks ago i dived the jetties at St Andrews St Park, near Panama City Florida. As i was sitting down eating lunch under the pavilion, I heard a couple talking about divers. For some reason she was griping about the divers divng near the rocks... SHE DIDNT KNOW I was sitting right behind her however, and her young son whom was facing me went quite pale
    <DIV>After the parents realized I was behind them, the husband asked me If it was legal to get so close to the rocks. He thought the fishers had right of way. I quickyl corrected him of course... Next he says "Im thinking of takingup spear fishing". I replied with,"You're a Diver?". He said yes. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Huh!? A diver that believes divers had to stay 100ft away from the jetties? Right I believe you pal. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Me and my dive buddy had a good laugh about that one later.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Share your stories like this, you know ya wanna </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I had a buddy last weekend get hooked by a fishing hood near the dam. I don't think either one of us thought the other had a right to be there above the others.
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>It's a give and take and I believe most divers feel that way.</DIV>

Barracuda Founding Member
    Yes, it's give and take, if the fishing line is ALREADY in the water. However, if the line is cast out near a diver (as done quite often on these jetties and dams) that's NOT RIGHT.

Yup, in places where there are no rules against diving, no one has the right of way. Considering the safety issue, however, I would have words with anyone who purposely cast near a diver's known location... that's practically assault!

I've been snagged by lines before when inadvertently drifting too close to a pier we're supposed to stay away from. Fortunately I haven't had that happen while diving dry, else I'd be a lot more upset! That was my fault, however. I have no compunction about cutting the line as fast as possible, of course.

But he said he was going to start, this guy's getting his wires crossed.
    <DIV>My buddy and I had wetsuits on so it wasn't a big deal, odd because we both normally dive drysuits. He and I had a good laugh over the kid who thought he caught a BIG one that got away. My buddies a big buy, over 200 lbs I'm sure and we towed that line quite a ways before I cut it at the bobber.</DIV>

Grouper Founding Member
    I was almost hooked by a fisher at the Alabama point jetties one time... but I was right up on the rocks... If I can't get within 100' of the rocks, they can't cast their lines out past 80'. I want some leeway there you know :P
    Signed, Frank
    Mississippi Divers, visit MSscuba.com!
    <°(((><

Guppy Founding Member
    Here in Vegas, scuba areas are considered "shared shore fishing areas"... I guess they just expect us to get along.... some areas are no barb's on fishing... but let’s face it its lake Mead... no one wants to really eat the fish they catch....<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />
    <DIV></DIV>
    Thanks,

-- BMP --

Las Vegas Divers

Grouper Founding Member
    We've been lucky in the lakes here- most fishermen are pretty good about not casting if we're about to get in. It doesn't hurt that I usually help relase stuck hooks for the fishermen. They seem to appreciate us and respect us/our area if we help em out. Just this past weekend some guys said they would just wait until we finished our dive before dropping lines in. I guess seeing divers in AZ is a novelty and they enjoy watching the show.

Grouper Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReefHound
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc420
    I was almost hooked by a fisher at the Alabama point jetties one time... but I was right up on the rocks... If I can't get within 100' of the rocks, they can't cast their lines out past 80'. I want some leeway there you know :P
    You can spearfish on the Alabama jetties, no 100 feet requirement there.

Oh I don't spearfish, yet, I was just wanting to put my experience with almost getting hooked out there!
    Signed, Frank
    Mississippi Divers, visit MSscuba.com!
    <°(((><

Really, unless you're in a drysuit getting hooked is no big deal.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information