Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Subic Bay Wreck Diving/Dive Shops

  1. #1
    Grouper Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/24/2007
    Location
    Cross Plains, Texas
    Posts
    454
    Images
    142

    Subic Bay Wreck Diving/Dive Shops

    Can anyone make any recommendations for dive shops in the Subic Bay area. Specifically I want to dive on the USS New York and some of the other wrecks there in the bay.
    Bill
    Just killing time during my surface interval ;-)
    "If it's too cold for a 3mm, it's cold enough for a drysuit!"

  2. #2
    Grouper
    Join Date
    08/27/2007
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    321
    Images
    4
    I had a very good experience with Johan's Adventure Dive Center last year (I'm going back in T minus 88 days). The style of diving is quite relaxed (boat will leave about 10ish) but sometimes that's a good thing. He's quite strict on procedures and safety, however. It's not your up at 6:30 in the water at 8:00 pee at 8:05 kind of diving, but he is the wreck king for the area (with very frequent trips to the New York if the USN isn't around).
    http://www.subicdive.com/default.php

    There is also an outfit called The Bluerock up the beach from him:
    http://www.bluerocksubic.com/

    Didn't dive with them, but stopped in for dinner one night and the restaurant staff were nice. Don't know anything about their diving. I know there are a couple of other outfits around there, but no info on them. Enjoy your trip.

  3. #3
    Grouper Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/24/2007
    Location
    Cross Plains, Texas
    Posts
    454
    Images
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by RikRaeder View Post
    I had a very good experience with Johan's Adventure Dive Center last year (I'm going back in T minus 88 days). The style of diving is quite relaxed (boat will leave about 10ish) but sometimes that's a good thing. He's quite strict on procedures and safety, however. It's not your up at 6:30 in the water at 8:00 pee at 8:05 kind of diving, but he is the wreck king for the area (with very frequent trips to the New York if the USN isn't around).
    http://www.subicdive.com/default.php

    There is also an outfit called The Bluerock up the beach from him:
    http://www.bluerocksubic.com/

    Didn't dive with them, but stopped in for dinner one night and the restaurant staff were nice. Don't know anything about their diving. I know there are a couple of other outfits around there, but no info on them. Enjoy your trip.
    Thanks! :-) This guy certainly seems to know his stuff. The dive part of the operation looked very good... the only thing that put me off a little was all the "rules" for the hotel they had. Blue Rock looks promising though. I got a different vibe... at least from their website ;-)

    I still haven't decided that I won't make a run back over to Puerto Galera when I get to Manila from Cebu. I'll have to decide at some point since they're in opposite directions of each other. I had heard that this was not the optimum time of year for Subic Bay. Can you shed any light on that. What was your experience?
    Bill
    Just killing time during my surface interval ;-)
    "If it's too cold for a 3mm, it's cold enough for a drysuit!"

  4. #4
    TadPole
    Join Date
    08/02/2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4
    I dove with the Blue Rock people. We dove on some ships and some coral formations. It was all good.

  5. #5
    Grouper Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/24/2007
    Location
    Cross Plains, Texas
    Posts
    454
    Images
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by RTBROWN View Post
    I dove with the Blue Rock people. We dove on some ships and some coral formations. It was all good.
    Ahh... good someone who has been there, since Blue Rock is on the short list :-) A few questions if you don't mind. Did you stay with them also? How many dives a day were they doing? What time of year were you there? What was the visibility like? How did they deal with the photographers (we tend to get a little side-tracked ;-)). Did they buddy up experienced divers with each other or did they put everyone together with a guide and make them stay with them the entire time?

    Thanks!! :-)
    Bill
    Just killing time during my surface interval ;-)
    "If it's too cold for a 3mm, it's cold enough for a drysuit!"

  6. #6
    Guppy
    Join Date
    10/09/2007
    Location
    Daejeon,South Korea
    Age
    42
    Posts
    174
    BlueRock Dive Center is good! Been there a couple of times...they have good guides that know the best spots and are very proffesional without being to anal....

  7. #7
    Grouper
    Join Date
    08/27/2007
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    321
    Images
    4
    I'm not sure when Prime Diving is in Subic. I went in December. It isn't a tropical reef, but we go a couple of days with ok visibility. The rules on Johan's site are a new addition since last year. I should think not much has changed, just covering himself in case of troublemakers. I think any of the established outfits around there will probably take good care of you. Johan seems to be pretty strict about cert. levels (max depth, etc) but I've also seen him be EXTREMELY leinent with those who had the goods. We were going out with about 6-10 divers a day (in several groups). It seems that Subic isn't teaming with divers. In two weeks we ended up at the same spot as another boat maybe twice.

  8. #8
    Grouper Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/24/2007
    Location
    Cross Plains, Texas
    Posts
    454
    Images
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by RikRaeder View Post
    I'm not sure when Prime Diving is in Subic. I went in December. It isn't a tropical reef, but we go a couple of days with ok visibility. The rules on Johan's site are a new addition since last year. I should think not much has changed, just covering himself in case of troublemakers. I think any of the established outfits around there will probably take good care of you. Johan seems to be pretty strict about cert. levels (max depth, etc) but I've also seen him be EXTREMELY leinent with those who had the goods. We were going out with about 6-10 divers a day (in several groups). It seems that Subic isn't teaming with divers. In two weeks we ended up at the same spot as another boat maybe twice.
    Thanks to everyone, this is good info and I'm sure I'll use it when I go on my next trip. I ended up opting to stay in Malapascua for a few extra days and then went and did Moalboal. Check out my trip report over in the Asia Diving section. It's work in progress... still have a ways to finish up.

    I"ll save Subic for when I do my wreck trip. I was thinking a few days in Subic and then to go to Coron for a week. About 11-12 dive days. Course I'm also considering another trip to Cebu also and I hear Bohol is very nice.... thats the problem with the Philippines.... just too many great places to go dive :-)
    Bill
    Just killing time during my surface interval ;-)
    "If it's too cold for a 3mm, it's cold enough for a drysuit!"

  9. #9
    Guppy
    Join Date
    10/22/2007
    Location
    Cairns, Australia
    Posts
    189
    I have used Boardwalk dive centre for the six or so times I have dived Subic. Most times I was travelling on my own so I dived tech with either the owner or DM which was great...good penetrations throught the New York and LST, a couple of trimix dives to wrecks not shown on most dive maps. Vis in Subic is not always good though. Remember, if it is the former USS New York you wish to dive, phone ahead before arriving. Due to its location in the bay, whenever a visiting navy ship is in port, diving this wreck is off limits. Earlier this year this site was closed for a few months.

  10. #10
    Grouper Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/24/2007
    Location
    Cross Plains, Texas
    Posts
    454
    Images
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrdiver View Post
    I have used Boardwalk dive centre for the six or so times I have dived Subic. Most times I was travelling on my own so I dived tech with either the owner or DM which was great...good penetrations throught the New York and LST, a couple of trimix dives to wrecks not shown on most dive maps. Vis in Subic is not always good though. Remember, if it is the former USS New York you wish to dive, phone ahead before arriving. Due to its location in the bay, whenever a visiting navy ship is in port, diving this wreck is off limits. Earlier this year this site was closed for a few months.
    That's good information to know. I'm planning two trips for next year. One will be a Leyte, Bohol, Cebu trip, and the other will probably be the wreck trip, Subic, Coron, and finish up with Tubbataha.

    You've been there six times, so you probably have a better feel for this. What's the best time of year, visibility-wise? Or is it impossible to really know?
    Bill
    Just killing time during my surface interval ;-)
    "If it's too cold for a 3mm, it's cold enough for a drysuit!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Las Vegas Area Dive Shops
    By paintsnow in forum Las Vegas Divers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 10:13
  2. Wreck Diving in FL
    By JipThePeople in forum Southeast - Florida
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 12:04
  3. Wreck Diving?
    By Rascal1933 in forum Scuba Stories, Comments & Questions that don't fit elsewhere!
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 21:56
  4. Wreck Diving
    By Rascal1933 in forum Wreck Diving
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 20:25
  5. Caye Caulker Dive shops
    By gtjason2000 in forum Caribbean -> Central America
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 06:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •