Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Cycling

Grouper
    I ride road bikes and recumbents. My uncle got me into road bicycling 9 years ago at the tender age of 42. I started with a Walmart MTB that I had and I put about 500 miles on it in a few months. Then as I got into it I did some reaserch and bought a brand new Klein Quantum. That's still my principal ride and I've put some 13,000 miles on it. I found an old Schwin Tempo that's my rainey day bike. I'm not as fast as I used to be, but I can move pretty well down the road during season. My average training ride is about 25 miles if I take the south loop or 30 if I do the bakery run. My best average last year was 20.1 on a 30 mile ride that I did on my Rans Rocket recumbent. I was on fire that day. It probably would have been about 2 mph faster on the Klein. 6 or 7 years ago when I was still heavily involved in club riding I took the PARK TOOL course. Those are put on by better bike shops. You bring in your own bike and they show you how to service everything from the brakes to the bottom bracket. Like my regulators and other dive gear, I do my own bike servicing too. About the only thing I haven't done is lace up my own rims. I can true them though which is an important skill for the older bikes especially.
    Bicycling is a great low impact sport and if you do it regularly will trim off some weight, but more importantly it will help your cardiovascular system. It did wonders for my chloesterol too. If you really want to get serious, get a heart rate monitor and learn how to use it. Theres a lot of good resorces available to learn how. Keep at it and make sure you have fun with it. Try new routes often and that will keep your interest up. It and scuba diving work hand and hand for me. Great fun!

Jim

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Folks, bikes are just like scuba equipment.

I ride a road bike for fitness and for fun. I put 3100 miles on my bike last year. I'm behind the milage curve so far this year, but the weather should get nice very soon.

You can spend $150 at Walmart for a bike. or $200 Craigs List bike. I ride a $1500 bike from a bike shop.

You can buy a BC, regulator, etc on Craig's list for $200, or buy your stuff from a local scuba store (or on line) for $1500. To some degree you get what you pay for. Yes, there are diminishing returns, obviously.

In the scuba world, you can buy a $25 light that will work fine for many years. You can also buy a similar light for $400 that will also work well for many years - and might be a little brighter, made from aluminum rather than plastic, have better quality o-rings, LED instead of incand etc...

I have a $400 low end Trek mountain bike that I've converted to a Hybrid so I can ride with the family. I can average an nice easy pace of 13 or 14 mph on it... for 45 or 50 miles. I've also got a $1500 mid-range (by some standards) road bike that I can ride 17 to 19 mph for 45 or 50 miles. The 3 to 5 mph doesn't sound like a lot, does it? Try it for yourself... it's a big difference. Aerodynamic (and hydrodynamic) drag increases by the square of your speed. It's a logrithmic function.

The $400 mountain bike is fun. But, I enjoy the $1500 road bike much more. Better acceleration, easier-quicker-smoother shifting, faster, easier to climb hills, did I mention it's faster?

In scuba, there isn't a lot of difference between a $150 pair of fins and a $250 pair of fins. But there is a dramatic difference when comparing a $25 fins to a $150 pair of fins. Same is true for bicycles. The $150 Walmart bike will be made from steel, with heavy wheels, low end components, lower quality bearings, no-name tires, wheels won't be (very) true, rotary (yuk) shifters.

It's a hobby - just as much, or maybe even more so than scuba. It's somthing to spend your money on.

My brother is a hard core bike racer, sponsored by a local team, and does very well. He'll ride 300 to 350 miles per week. His newest bike cost in excess of $5500 (with custom paint and hand-picked components), and that didn't include the $1400 wheels (not including the tires!) or the $250 helmet. He, however, would think...why in the heck would I spend $400 on a regulator or BC that I'm going to use maybe 25 times a year.

BTW, I have noticed that since I got back on my bike (back from a 15 year hiatus) that my air consumption levels went down dramatically. I've seen my bottom times increase by 15 to 20 percent.
    To those in the miltary who serve, past and present, to protect my freedom, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

TadPole
    This is something that I have been thinking about getting in to. Does anyone know of any good websites where someone who knows nothing about road bikes can learn the basics of what to look for and what to avoid?
    Just add water.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkw_archer View Post
    This is something that I have been thinking about getting in to. Does anyone know of any good websites where someone who knows nothing about road bikes can learn the basics of what to look for and what to avoid?
    bikeforums.net

Start with reading the stickies in the Road Cycling section:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Answered-Here

TadPole
    Thank you FishFood, looks like a wealth of information!
    Just add water.

I'm mountain biker, for choosing bike (special road bike) you need to consider the geometry the size of frame, after picking right size you can then adjust the bike by your favorite riding position by choose the length of stem and adjusting the height of seatpost.

regardless of these it will cause injury from time to time. helmet and gloves are must for riding =)

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfood View Post
    You pay for quality. I'm in the same boat however. I watched Grisliest for a while before finding something I could let my self plunk down the cash for. My road bike, even new, cost less than $400. It's one of the (if not the) cheapest road bike you can get. It's a little slower up hills, shifts a little rough, and will probably be a little heavier on the maintenance side... But it serves it's purpose and left me cash to spend on other hobbies.

Also, Walmart.com has a decent selection of lower end bikes and will ship to a store near you.
    Judy:

Fish food is absolutely correct. I can out pace my lifeguard buddies when they ride there Pee Wee Herman bikes. At least for 10 or 12 miles. Like the split fin discussions who wants to go fast, especially if it is for fitness. I use mine for transportation too. On the fitness side, I can get the same work out by going faster and farther. That equals fun so I am more motivated to do it.

I'm riding one of these:
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Sirrus Sport
    worth every penny. A road bike soon.

Both the local shops I have purchased my bikes from provide a free annual service/tuneup for life.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Shark
    Images
    Here's my ride. Yabba dabba dabba dabba dabba doo now!

flintstones.jpg

Sine Timore!

TadPole
    It is all expensively overwhelming, I wish that it was as simple as getting into running or swimming.
    Just add water.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Id dare say cycling can be cheaper in the long run, if you can stop yourself from buying more stuff (sorta like diving eh?). 3 months cycling and Ill invest in some chain lube. 3 months running and it's time to drop another $100 on a pair of shoes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information