Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Cycling

Barracuda Founding Member

Road Cycling

Anyone road bike? Purchased a used bike last night I found on Craigslist. Figured it'd be a good exercise to incorporate into my running. I also assumed my legs would be reasonably developed from running.... Nope - Completly wrong. The bike kicked my butt this morning

Megalodon
    Images
    I do some on road and off road as part of a bike medic team...

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

TadPole
    I started biking back in mid March. Put in 2800 miles over the summer averaged about 32 miles per ride. Started as a replacement to running as I was having hip and back pain and figured it would be much easier on the old body (61yrs old). Had to put the bike away for the winter will be looking forward to spring.
    Was hoping to see some weight loss but that really didn't happen so on to plan "B" well okay by now plan "Z"

Al

Put in 2800 miles over the summer averaged about 32 miles per ride.
    Good deal! Ive got quite a ways to go to average 32miles/ride.

Shark
    going out to get a bike today-thinking hybrid-can't run, walk very far or do aerobic class with surgically fused ankle(not enough pain meds in world)-SOFL seems to lend itself to biking(its flat & has decent weather, until summer)-plus can toss it in equipment compartment of truck when OTR so i have alternative transportation at destination
    if it has tires or testicles, eventually it is going to give you trouble

Shark
    screw these bike shops! 400 for a one speed with coaster brakes? i can buy a new steel & still have the bucks to get a bike from walmart/target-its going to live in the horse van for gods sake! for 400 , it better pedal itself!!(my last bike was a schwinn(SP)stingray, so you get the picture)
    if it has tires or testicles, eventually it is going to give you trouble

You pay for quality. Im in the same boat however. I watched Craigslist for a while before finding something I could let my self plunk down the cash for. My road bike, even new, cost less than $400. It's one of the (if not the) cheapest road bike you can get. It's a little slower up hills, shifts a little rough, and will probably be a little heavier on the maintenance side... But it serves it's purpose and left me cash to spend on other hobbies.

Also, Walmart.com has a decent selection of lower end bikes and will ship to a store near you.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scubagirlj View Post
    screw these bike shops! 400 for a one speed with coaster brakes? i can buy a new steel & still have the bucks to get a bike from walmart/target-its going to live in the horse van for gods sake! for 400 , it better pedal itself!!(my last bike was a schwinn(SP)stingray, so you get the picture)
    That Schwinn Stingray would probably cost 400 these days. Cool bike though
    Rick

Grouper
    Biking is supposed to help you lose weight, if I was to ride to work it would be 10 miles one way.

TadPole
    If you can live without the support of a bike shop... (Same issues as a LDS, different sport) take a look at bikesdirect.com - they can suit you up with a no-name bike that happens to have the same components as a real bike shop version for about half the price. If you search around cycling forums, many are afraid to buy without the support of a bike shop, but, those who do are very happy with their decision. Since everything is made in taiwan or china anyways, why not ditch the brand name frame?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information