Thread: The dream is getting closer......

Grouper
    Images
    “If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” -- Jimmy Buffett
    http://www.mandtoates.net/diveblog/ -- http://www.westernmarylanddivers.com/index.php

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Wow. Very impressive that it's been around for about 30 years. I wish extensive research had been done during those years.
    rick

Grouper
    Images
    Breathing Liquid and having a gill attached to my femoral artery, I thought the crotch squeeze from my drysuit was uncomfortable
    Rick

Barracuda
    I like the crotch squeeze, it's why I dive dry. However, the fish mod I will have to pass on. I am a firm believer in technology but this is probably one area I will always be a bystander in. I like the concepts but don't think I could do the liquid gig

Megalodon
    Images
    That's not a dream Mocepts, it's a friggin nightmare!

I can see the LFC's - they've been around for 40 years (I can remember a 70's chemical companies advertisement about it) the issue still persists that the human respiratory system is set up for oxygen exchange in a gasseous state rather than a liquid. LFC's, from what I recall, do great at O2 exchange, but suck at nitrogen, CO2, etc. Hence the "Gills" attached to the femoral. Which brings up so many medical issues, I wouldn't know where to start.

During the 60's the US Navy had a series of experiments off Bermuda: Sealab I, II, III. Astronaut Scott Carpenter was part of SeaLab II and spent 30 days at 205 fsw. He used that to write a science fiction/action book: The Steel Albatross", there's a lot of interesting and factual meidicla information about long term issues at depth.
    Last edited by navyhmc; 11-28-2010 at 10:18.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    The part in abyss where they put the rat in the liquid was true. That was the actual liquid being used. I guess it was easier to hold the rat by its tail to get the liquid out. Not too many people would like to stand on their head to get it out of their lungs.
    Lets see, to dive or not to dive? Well that is a stupid question, DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, and then DIVE some more as long as it is safe!!!!!

That's interesting, but I think I will have to pass. I don't think I could ever get past the gag reflex, not to mention the gill part of it....

Megalodon
    Images
    I still remember when they made an "Electrolung" was this brand new apparatus. Now, most high end, computer operated rebreathers owe their existence to it. But I still think a wet rebreather is still eons away from practical reality.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    I just don't see it.

http://davidszondy.com/future/underwater/menfish.htm

Artificial Gills

also, regarding that rat in The Abyss:

The Abyss (1989) - Trivia

The problem is that we evolved to handle 21% O2 mix in gaseous form on a daily basis. Water generally does not have that high a mix IIRC. Then you get into that whole problem that water--being a denser liquid than gaseous material--is a whole lot harder to inspirate and aspirate.

The folks that say that we all breathe water for nine months prior to birth ignore the fact that the O2 (and nutrients) that are received come through the placenta from the mother's system, NOT the amniotic fluid.
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Thread Information