7 19.44%
  • Neither

15 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Margatritas VS Soda & Rum

Shark
    Images
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. (amber .. and NFL )

And now I know what I want for Christmas!!

YouTube - The Beer-Launching Refrigerator

Sine Timore!

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by scubastud View Post

lol...

I've wanted to train a spider monkey to get from the frig, open and bring me a beer since I was in middle school... will never come to pass because after looking into it I found they have a tendency to masturbate and throw feces
    "A wise man stores up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool invites ruin."

A good man does his best to be selfless and humble while others attempt great gain for selfish purposes and fail.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scubastud View Post
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. (amber .. and NFL )

And now I know what I want for Christmas!!

YouTube - The Beer-Launching Refrigerator
    Homebrew beer be more better
    rick

Barracuda Founding Member
    Rum and Coke has always been my drink but I really limit my drinking when diving.

In the past month I've witnessed one diver fall victim to DCS and know another who had to be medevaced to a chamber. Both had followed tables/computers and never pushed the limits. Both hits where what we commonly call a "undeserved hit" in the traditional fashion. No fast accent rates, stayed within tables, ect. I put quotes around "undeserved hit" because I believe there is more to preventing DCS then what you do during the dive. What you do 24 hours before and after a dive have a impact on your susceptibility to DCS.

Looking back at the 24hrs before and after both of these DCS incidents we can see something fairly formilar in other simular incidents. Now I know just a little of the first diver as I hadn't met him before the issue of his DCS hit. First met him as his friend was getting O2 for him. The second diver I have dived with before and know the entire story although I wasn't there when it happened. First divers hit was about 20 hours after his dive and drinking and dehydration where likely a factor. Second diver started showing signs about 1 hour after a dive. He had been dehydrated the entire day and this was his second dive of the day.

I'm not saying don't have fun and don't drink. Just understand there are many factors that effect DCS. Drinking lots of water when diving should be considered as important as checking your tank pressure before a dive.

Sorry for the thread drift but this is a topic I feel very strongly about.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by comet24 View Post
    First divers hit was about 20 hours after his dive and drinking and dehydration where likely a factor.
    I've heard DCS could happen that long after a dive in theory.

Sorry for the thread drift but this is a topic I feel very strongly about.
    No need to apologize. That's good info.
    rick

Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
    I've heard DCS could happen that long after a dive in theory.
    This incident happened on a plane so I think the change in altitude/pressure played a roll. This diver responded well to O2. Symptoms where numbness and tingling on his skin. Mostly arms. Basically minor skin bends if you call any DCS incident minor. There was a langue barrier here so info was hard to come by. Diver had been diving for a week, about 20 dive in that time. Never pushed the limits. Deepest dive was around 110'. All where within rec. limits. Don't know any followup.

Barracuda
    I tend to drink coffee like most drink water. Perhaps it is from my days as a Gunners Mate or Now as an Army Warrant... a GOOD beer post dive is usually in order. Did do shots of Jack after me and my dive bud finished our Master.

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by comet24 View Post
    This incident happened on a plane so I think the change in altitude/pressure played a roll. This diver responded well to O2. Symptoms where numbness and tingling on his skin. Mostly arms. Basically minor skin bends if you call any DCS incident minor. There was a langue barrier here so info was hard to come by. Diver had been diving for a week, about 20 dive in that time. Never pushed the limits. Deepest dive was around 110'. All where within rec. limits. Don't know any followup.
    From this additional information, I would say that it was no longer an "Undeserved hit" Multi-days of diving and flting less than 24 hours later makes it a diver error DCS hit. Dehydration also contributed to the hit as well but the biggest contributing factor was flying too soon. Just my uneducated $.02.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Navy I agree with the undeserved part. I said about twenty hrs but I think it was more closer to 22hr but really we are splitting hairs here. Many publications, including DAN, say 18 hours minimum.

Either way I agree it was not underserved. My main point here was there is more to preventing DCS then just following the tables, accent rates, ect. and underserved hits are really a misconception. If you look at the divers activities prior and after a dive you will almost always see things that lead to the DCS hit. Dehydration increases one susceptibility to DCS. How much is hard to say as is most thing with DCS to a certainty. As can alcohol and caffeine because of there effect on hydration and the body. In OW following tables/computers and accent rates are the main focus on preventing DCS and rightfully so. Break those two rules and your in trouble but there is alot more to DCS then those two simple aspects of diving.

Megalodon
    Images
    Somewhat splitting hairs; I've heard 12-18 hours for a dive but 24 -36 hours after if it's been multiple days of diving. You are dead on that dehydration is a big factor along with Proximity to NDL's, Ascent times (the current trend seems to be a minute plus to go from 15' to surface.) Safety stops-especially if you're doing/have been doing mutliple dives, multiple days. longer safety stops might be in order too. Not to mention good mutrition and general good physical shape will also help as well. A bigger factor might be a lack of respect for the possibility of a DCS hit - deserved or not.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information