7 19.44%
  • Neither

15 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Margatritas VS Soda & Rum

Guppy

Margatritas VS Soda & Rum

So... favorite after diving drink anyone?

Guppy
    my recipe for 2:

Materials:
    - two 20oz or larger cups full of ice
    - 5 to 10 key limes (juiced)
    - 4 seconds of triple sec (vary flow rate as wanted, this is with common strainer)
    - 10 seconds of silver tequila of choice (vary flow rate as wanted just given for triple sec to tequila ratio)
    - 2 to 6 artificial sweetener of choice
    - optional: rim cup with salt or sugar
    - optional: half a beer of choice

Equipment:
    - Blender

this makes the lowest calorie, best tasting margarita concoction I have created that most people enjoy. I feel the key is to put minimum artificial sweetener and lime juice because it can be mixed in for the individuals personal taste after the general drink is poured.

Also, it is best if the tequila, triple sec, and lime juice (and beer if used) are very cold; without being frozen of course, and with the tequila being as close to freezing as possible.

Tyler

Megalodon
    Images
    My favorite after dive drink is usually water and one bottle of Coke. Not much of a drinker.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Shark
    its the one time an ice cold beer is in order...
    if it has tires or testicles, eventually it is going to give you trouble

Guppy
    I figured the majority of votes would be neither, and yup an ice cold beer is great too..

just happen to be a margarita guy

also just passing some time cause I couldn't get back to sleep

Megalodon
    Images
    It also helps to know the time frame for imbibing after a dive. I'm one who is very cautious for about 3-4 hours post dive(s) more so if there's been repetative dives. From my AOW manual:

"Many divers believe that it is all right to drink alcohol after diving. Under certain conditions and in moderation, this may be true, but drinking after deep and/or long dives can lead to decompression sickness and mask it's symptoms. Divers suffering from hypothermia (low body core temperature) can worsen their condition by drinking alcoholic beverages. The key is circulation. Alcohol causes undesirable rapid dilation of extremity blood vessels. Even a hot shower shortly after may not be wise for the same reason."

And:

"Drinking alcohol prior to a dives will cause increased nitrogen absorption during a dive. Drinking alcohol after a dive will release nitrogen much too quickly, possibly contributing to bubble formation."

Not to mention that Alcohol consumption causes some dehydration. Generally speaking, dehydration is thought to predispose a diver to decompression illness because the washout of inert gas (nitrogen, in diving) is less effective in a dehydrated individual. (per DAN)

I'm not advocating prohibition, but for me, I tend to stay away from it for a few hours post dive.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Beer is good and thats all I need. If I do drink rum its usually straight. Never right before or after diving.

Shark
    Images
    it is all about location location location........ If I am in the Caribbean (rum central) its rum drinks. If I am in MX or eating at a mexican restaurant its Tequila... Awwww who am I kidding its both early and often!!!
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation. If you dont like this signature I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    It also helps to know the time frame for imbibing after a dive. I'm one who is very cautious for about 3-4 hours post dive(s) more so if there's been repetative dives. From my AOW manual:
    There you go, injecting the voice of reason into a thread that could've become a Yokosuka strip bar. No fun, Chief. No fun.

For me, pre-dive, post-dive, and surface intervals: water, and lots of it. Otherwsie, I get dehydration headaches.

Now, if there is no diving involved, then a good beer (not American Pale Ale piss water) or a margarita,
    rick

Guppy
    well said navy, and I agree that is an important fact to remember, but...

while I never drink before a dive and I always drink plenty of water before and after (especially if it is cold or salt water; i think u can guess why for both) I think it is important to have at least one snort of whiskey, or a few beers, or a margarita or two after some water post-dive... just for the hell of it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information