Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drinking and Diving...

Barracuda
    Years ago I made a few dives after a long night of drinking. What I found was that even in shallow dives 6-8hours after a night of partying that my "reflexes" were far numbed. I found that the effects of drinking returned to me if I drank alcohol before diving, even if I waited several hours, including "enough time" to drive or be "legally sober." I had a few relatively close calls which I learned from and have no intention of repeating. - Feel free to flame away - I'm just being honest.

These days I won't drink for about 12 houra before I have dives planned, a full day+ if it's a tech dive. This is based on personal experience and the way I've found I react to situations and the way I'm able to resolve them. Just like the pressure can make a pressure of oxygen higher it can make the effects of alcohol higher...

Images
    I've never seen anybody slamming beers and diving at the same time. It is simply just a rule most divers live by. We take the sport very serious and spend a lot of time and money doing the sport. It really isn't something we grab a 12pack and head out to do. Now, I do know a lot of divers that will have a few at the end of the day....this is fairly typical, but during the day, no.

I personally don't drink much at all anymore (I think I really burned myself out in college). I have no problem being around those drinking after the dive day and if I'm in the mood will probably have 1 maybe 2 not much more than that (as I get older the next mornings after a night of drinking really suck). For me, drinking usually results in a very tired feeling. I really don't want to be lugging gear when I'm tired.

If I see somebody drinking while diving, I probably would not be their buddy and not let them be mine. It's not my place to lecture them, but wouldn't want to be responsible for them either.

Snagel

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
    Years ago I made a few dives after a long night of drinking. What I found was that even in shallow dives 6-8hours after a night of partying that my "reflexes" were far numbed. I found that the effects of drinking returned to me if I drank alcohol before diving, even if I waited several hours, including "enough time" to drive or be "legally sober." I had a few relatively close calls which I learned from and have no intention of repeating. - Feel free to flame away - I'm just being honest.

These days I won't drink for about 12 houra before I have dives planned, a full day+ if it's a tech dive. This is based on personal experience and the way I've found I react to situations and the way I'm able to resolve them. Just like the pressure can make a pressure of oxygen higher it can make the effects of alcohol higher...
    You aren't a retard because of your mistakes, you are a retard if you don't learn from them. Atleast you were able to learn from your mistakes, I seem to have a lot of trouble in that department
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Shark
    I will not drink and hunt, drink and drive, drink and use machinery, why would I drink and dive or dive with someone who is.

When i go hunting diving or anything of the kind I will not drink atleast 12 hours before said activity

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldmug View Post
    by majority I was refering to depth; if someone had a couple beers and we were going to browse through a quarry or something of max 30 ft and I knew they had trained themselves to respond with the correct action automatically I would not have an issue diving with them...any deeper or any more and I would have a problem, in other words no different rules in CS I was mainly trying to hear some experiences...

So noone has any experience with someone drinking and diving? That's great to hear, but also surprising
    It's not just a question of depth--there are physiological issues as well, and those go far beyond how well a person hold his/her alcohol.

Alcohol is a vasodilator making the recent imbiber more prone to DCS than the "dry" diver (vasodilation facilitates increased uptake of N2). In addition, alcohol acts to dehydrate tissues, which also predisposes the diver to DCS.

I decline to dive with anybody who recklessly puts him/herself in a position of avoidable risk, including those who drink and dive. I do know how to effect rescues, but I don't want to have to put those skills to work with real-world practice!
    DIVE with me in THAILAND!
    Gekko Scuba Divers, Phuket

Shark
    I agree, 100% if a person can not hold off drinking till the minute they surface then there is a problem both for diving and in general
    Quote Originally Posted by Quero View Post
    It's not just a question of depth--there are physiological issues as well, and those go far beyond how well a person hold his/her alcohol.

Alcohol is a vasodilator making the recent imbiber more prone to DCS than the "dry" diver (vasodilation facilitates increased uptake of N2). In addition, alcohol acts to dehydrate tissues, which also predisposes the diver to DCS.

I decline to dive with anybody who recklessly puts him/herself in a position of avoidable risk, including those who drink and dive. I do know how to effect rescues, but I don't want to have to put those skills to work with real-world practice!

Guppy
    good to know... well I made up my mind awhile ago not to drink and dive myself, but y'all have convinced me not to dive with anyone who is either; just not worth the extra risk...

now that's not to say I wouldnt hop in some calm water to do a little skin diving with a few drinks under my belt... gotta leave some room for those nights by the campfire when there's been partaking, and nothing sounds better than a dip in some refreshing cool water
    "A wise man stores up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool invites ruin."

A good man does his best to be selfless and humble while others attempt great gain for selfish purposes and fail.

Guppy
    Yeah, that's a no brainer. I won't even have one beer the NIGHT before a next day dive. Doesn't matter after the dive is done if I'm not diving again the next day.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldmug View Post
    What is everyone's opinion/experience on this?
    Drinking and diving? Really quite tricky. You end up with more seawater in your mouth than beer.
    Some franchises just never make it... CSI:Wagga Wagga was one of them.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post

BTDT. Once. I did not feel comfortable in the water at all. I did not want to let my bud down and dove anyway... I still feel I let him down more by continuing that dive. Never again. 12 Hrs, bottle to throttle. Period.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information