Thread: Grand Cayman Lodging

Barracuda

Grand Cayman Lodging

So, I found some decent airfare to Cayman, but "budget" and "lodging" seems to be non existent on the island

Even if you get relatively inexpensive lodging the food/bar bill is a big killer as well. The Caymans are not cheap despite the deals that can be found on airfare from time to time.

These are the least expensive places I know of:

This place is in "north" Georgetown. Just north of the Eden Rock dive area. I don't know anything else about it, a friend mentioned it once in passing. Harbour View Apartments Grand Cayman Cayman Islands

This place is in north West Bay. It would be a drive to everything from there except a couple local restaurants. Nearest diving is at Divetech or Turtle Reef to the west - see map. Turtle Reef is one of the best shore dives in the area. Shangri-La : Cayman's Luxury Bed & Breakfast

Low Season at Comfort Suites on SMB (after 5/1) can be as little as $125/nt. Welcome to Comfort Suites. Steps away from Seven Mile Beach. They all have kitchenettes.

These two are in Bodden Town about 10miles SE of Georgetown. It's a pretty small town. I'm not sure what dining options are nearby.

Cayman Hotels: Turtle Nest Inn, Grand Cayman - Intimate & Affordable Beachfront Alternative.

Cayman Hotels: The Retreat at Lookout, Grand Cayman - Affordable & Unique

One thing to be aware of on GC - there's almost no place to rent tanks for off-site diving. Divers Supply up in West Bay is the only place I know of. Most shoredives - Sunset House, Fosters, Eden Rock, Turtle Reef, Lighthouse Pt. etc. have an on-site dive operation and you rent from them.

Some of this may've changed, we haven't been there in a few years. I agree with the previous poster - food was pricey. From Wikipedia:
    With an average income of around KYD$42,000, Caymanians have the highest standard of living in the Caribbean. According to the CIA World Factbook, the Cayman Islands GDP per capita is the 12th highest in the world.[9] The islands print their own currency, the Cayman Islands Dollar (KYD), which is pegged to the U.S. dollar at a fixed rate of 1 KYD = 1.25 USD.[10]
    2nd most expensive Caribbean divetrip we've done. It's also one of the safest places you'll ever go - there's something like 300 offshore banks there...lol.

Grouper Founding Member
    totally agree with Steve & Straegen....we usually do a liveaboard yes it is also expensive but about equal in money you spend staying on the island plus you get to dive 3 islands and u to 5 dives a day......one of my favorite caribbean destinations :-)

when I have stayed landbased I fixed sandwiches for lunch and had some sort of roll or fruit for breakfast in my room and only eat dinner out...
    Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on http://www.roatanchildrensfund.com/

Grouper
    check out vrbo.com- rent from an owner and you can get a great deal on a condo ....if you want to try something different from the typical Cayman experience you can get a condo at our resort (Morritt's) on the East End (not NEARLY as populated as 7 mile beach) for $750 and up, depending on the # of bedrooms, oceanside, or pullfront, for a week. Let me know if I can help
    also- ANYONE going to Cayman- if you are near the East End check out Vivienne's Kitchen- she cooks out of her house, I got stewed lobster with rice and peas, potato salad, cake, plantains and veggies for like $14.........

Thread Information