Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dive Master cert

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    At some LDS, the DMs are not paid to help with students. If lucky, the instuctor may mention this to the class and suggest a tip or two. The DMs of ScubaToys do it for the love of the sport.
    rick

Comet24 and Scubadiver888. That is the main reasons. I have found I'm enjoying the learning and helping. I have also found more I help more I learn about myself and abilities or areas that need improvement.

At first I wanted nothing to do with the teaching, but more I dive the more I like helping. Plus this would be a great way to get me to dive more. The money isnt much of an issue, because I have a full time job. I was just curios on that. The gear deal would be helpful also. I'd like to be able to possibly swing a pt job at the shop. Working here and there. Basically to pay for the gear. Heck I'd work for gear and classes if they would let me.

Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    Comet24 and Scubadiver888. That is the main reasons. I have found I'm enjoying the learning and helping. I have also found more I help more I learn about myself and abilities or areas that need improvement.

At first I wanted nothing to do with the teaching, but more I dive the more I like helping. Plus this would be a great way to get me to dive more. The money isnt much of an issue, because I have a full time job. I was just curios on that. The gear deal would be helpful also. I'd like to be able to possibly swing a pt job at the shop. Working here and there. Basically to pay for the gear. Heck I'd work for gear and classes if they would let me.
    One of the guys at my new shop works in the shop. He puts all the gear together (bag, regulators, BCD, fins, mask, etc.) for DSDs, he does sales in the store, tank fills, visual inspections. I'm not sure if he services regulators, O2 cleans tanks, etc. but he does a lot around the shop. In addition to that he was a DM and is now an instructor. So if you work in a shop there is a chance you'll learn how to service equipment as well. Almost guaranteed you will learn to do fills.
    This signature left intentionally blank

I wish I could learn to do fills. It would be nice to walk in and fill my tanks. It seems like a hassle for a shop when they have a bunch of customers to help. I think I'd like something like that Scubadiver888. Something to break up the days with something I enjoy.

Filling tanks isn't really that hard. Picture I have two tanks. One is full and the other is empty. I take a hose with two yoke connectors at either end. I put the hose on the empty tank then put the other end on the full tank. I close bleed valves on the connectors (remember, with a regulator you can press the purge button to bleed the system; with the tank to tank connector you need something else to bleed the system). Now I open the two tanks. The air will flow from the full tank to the empty tank. One both tanks and equal pressure, close both tanks, open the bleed valve to release the pressure and take the connecting hose off.

Now if I use an HP100 and an HP100 I'll end up two half tanks of air. If I start with a bank of 1000 cu.ft. of air at 5000 PSI and an empty HP100, then I can fill the HP100. When the pressure in the bank of air gets low, I turn on the compressor and fill it up again.

Really nice setups have banks of air, oxygen and helium. So I can fill the tank with part oxygen, part helium and top it up with air to make the correct trimix. Or just oxygen and air to make nitrox. A nice system might also have a pump to suck the last bit of oxygen out of the cylinder and push it into your tank. This way I can get the oxygen cylinder down to 0 PSI before I send it back to the supplier.

The important thing to remember is that most these setups are custom made (at least around here) and how they work is different from system to system. The concept is the same. Connect empty tank to whip. Other end of whip should already be connected to bank of air. Open all the valves to let the air flow out of the bank and into empty cylinder.

Most systems I work on, you have to watch the tanks fill. You have to fill the tanks slowly or they overheat. When they cool down you get a short fill. I'll typically start filling a couple of tanks and do something else. I check back every so often to see where it is at. When it gets close to fill I have to sit there and watch it to make sure it doesn't over fill. This part is like watching grass grow.

At one shop, I open the whip 10% and it starts filling. If I open it more the cylinder overheats. When the cylinder gets to around 2000 PSI (AL80s) it slows down so I need to open the whip up a little more. Basically, every time I go back and check it I usually have to watch to see if it stopped and open the whip a little if it did. This system stinks. The oxygen is on a separate whip, I can only fill two cylinders at a time and the bank of air is only 3500 PSI. A real pain for HP steels.

At another shop the bank is twice as large, goes over 5000 PSI, lets me connect four at a time, it is computerized so I can set the PSI and walk away, oxygen, helium and air are all connected to all whips. The only downside is that there is only one computer for all four connections. So I can fill four with the same PSI but I cannot do say a LP85, AL80 and HP100 at the same time. I would have to fill them all to 2640 (LP), take the LP85 off, fill to 3000, take the AL80 off then finish up the HP100. Fortunately, most customers would bring in all LP, all AL or all HP.

One other note on nitrox, places that have only EAN32 and EAN36 usually use a stick to remove the nitrogen from the air rather than adding oxygen. For this it is almost like filling a tank with air.
    This signature left intentionally blank

sounds fairly simple to do. Thanks for the run down. I have yet to find anywhere around here that sells Tri mix. Not that I need it or use it. More of a curiosity thing.

Guppy
    It is a ticket to punch to become an assistant instructor or instructor. I did it because it gave me a lot more opportunities to dive in the local area. 2nd- I love diving and the ability to pass it on to others. I like to take my volunteer DM's to lunch, but currently there is no pay.

Guppy
    I just finished DM. At our shop DMs get $200 for an OW class. When DMing charters you go free, of course. Free air for working DMS. 15% off purchases, repairs, etc.

Guppy
    Images
    The DM's on the boat I dive off of make some money... most of them work on the boat doing air fills and working the grill... others do tours and help instructors... while they are working on the boat they make tips anywhere from $20-$250 on a 3 tank dive... for tours and helping the instructors they make about $100... I am working towards my DM not as a so called job but to just pay for my diving... I work full time but on the weekends I wouldnt mind making a $100 or so to dive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information