Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next Course? Master Diver?

Grouper
    Decided to do the nitrox course in a few months and was wondering; do most of you nitrox certified guys do it for the extra bottom time or the extra safety margin provided if you still dive standard air tables?

Guppy
    Little bit of both. Depends on the dive. Meaning somtimes I dive it using air tables or leave computer set to air but keep eye on MOD and sometimes I use it for longer bottom times. Just depends on where I am diving and the conditions whether I use it for increased bottom time or elevated safety factor.

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by russp View Post
    Decided to do the nitrox course in a few months and was wondering; do most of you nitrox certified guys do it for the extra bottom time or the extra safety margin provided if you still dive standard air tables?
    I'm with flip on that. Both. I like the longer bottom times and the fact that my safety stop is even more of a safety stop as the higher O2% helps you off gas faster at 20' than you do at the surface.

The Oxtox risk is there but manageable.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda
    I feel better, less tired after a full day of diving if I have been on Geezer gas.
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Shark
    When I first got into diving, the master scuba diver cert was a big goal. Now not so much, my goals are dive, dive, dive. Between that do some specialties. Will be doing nitrox and likely wreck next month, figure deep later summer. Likely do the full cert for peak performance buoyancy. When I get my 5 and rescue I will send in for the MSD card, but I see no hurry to get there.

I would agree, to do some specialties and when you get there your there.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    I'm with flip on that. Both. I like the longer bottom times and the fact that my safety stop is even more of a safety stop as the higher O2% helps you off gas faster at 20' than you do at the surface.

The Oxtox risk is there but manageable.
    Didn't think there was a risk of oxygen toxicity if you stayed within the air tables; do I need to review my books?

Grouper
    i think the oxtox risk is infered if you go beyond the MOD of the % that you are diving.

Its just something to take into consideration when doing a dive but i mean 32% is good for rec limits so i generally dont worry about it too much. but if you are diving something like 36 or 50 etc then you have to look out for the MOD of that particular gas mix

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
    i think the oxtox risk is infered if you go beyond the MOD of the % that you are diving.

Its just something to take into consideration when doing a dive but i mean 32% is good for rec limits so i generally dont worry about it too much. but if you are diving something like 36 or 50 etc then you have to look out for the MOD of that particular gas mix
    Just goes to show why we need to take courses for specialty certifications, I don't think I understood one thing you said. Guess I'll learn it when I take the course!

Grouper
    Haha well think of it this way......the higher percentage of oxygen in your gas mix (ie 32% nitrox), the less depth you can go before the oxygen becomes toxic to you. 21%(air) becomes toxic at 180ft, where as a 32% will now be toxic past 120ft and 100% oxygen is toxic past 20ft. So depending on what % of nitrox you are using, you have to watch out for what the maximum depth that you can safely use that gas at.

When you do the course you will get a set of MOD or max operating depths for the different mixes of nitrox.

Grouper
    Well if things stay on track, I should be doing the scientific diver course at Aquarena Springs in early August and hopefully my first ocean dive sometime in July off of South Padre. I'd hate to hit 50 dives without ever being in anything but lakes and springs but that what I'm getting close to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information