Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Course? Master Diver?

Grouper

Next Course? Master Diver?

After getting NAUI OW, AOW and then Rescue certifications in 2007, 2008 and 2009; I spent 2010 getting my Veterinary Assistant Certification. Now I'm ready to think about another dive certification in 2011. The first that comes to mind is Master Diver but it seems like more theory than diving. I have no intention of going for dive master or instructor in the future so are there other choices that would help make me a better diver? My eventual goal is working with and rescuing marine mammals so that's why all the diving and animal studies. I'm too old to go back to college and pick up a biology degree.

Assuming you are going with NAUI, the MAster Diver looks like more than just theory. According to the NAUI website, the required dives include:

• Emergency procedures and rescue
    • Deep/simulated decompression diving
    • Limited visibility or night diving
    • Underwater navigation
    • Search and recovery light salvage

Or couldn't you just take the specialty courses which work towards what you are interested in?

Not sure if NAUI works anything like PADI. With PADI you have Adventure dives. These are like introductory dives. Then you have Specialty dives. These would be going beyond the introduction. The Adventure dive usually counts as dive 1 of the Specialty dive.

The PADI Master Diver is just a recognition of achievement:

• Open Water Diver
    • Advanced Open Water Diver
      • Navigation Adventure Dive
      • Deep Water Adventure Dive
      • Three other Adventure Dives
    • Rescue Diver
    • Five Specialty Divers
    • 50 Logged Dives

Once you achieve all this you can apply for a Master Diver certification. It is really just $50 and a card. There is no need to do anything more for it.

You could do the same thing with NAUI. Pick 5 NAUI specialties and complete them. Pick ones you like rather than ones needed for Master Diver.

You could also start looking at other agencies for courses. SDI/TDI, SSI, GUE to name a few.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by russp View Post
    My eventual goal is working with and rescuing marine mammals so that's why all the diving and animal studies. I'm too old to go back to college and pick up a biology degree.
    Are you currently volunteering at the Dallas Aquarium? I don't think they have marine mammals but it would still be excellent experience.
    "The sea is not out to get you. It does not even know you exist."

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by jet126 View Post
    Are you currently volunteering at the Dallas Aquarium? I don't think they have marine mammals but it would still be excellent experience.
    I looked into the Dallas World Aquarium and they want divers who are available on a regular schedule. Because of my full time work in the concert industry, my life doesn't work that way.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    Assuming you are going with NAUI, the MAster Diver looks like more than just theory. According to the NAUI website, the required dives include:

• Emergency procedures and rescue
    • Deep/simulated decompression diving
    • Limited visibility or night diving
    • Underwater navigation
    • Search and recovery – light salvage

Or couldn't you just take the specialty courses which work towards what you are interested in?

Not sure if NAUI works anything like PADI. With PADI you have Adventure dives. These are like introductory dives. Then you have Specialty dives. These would be going beyond the introduction. The Adventure dive usually counts as dive 1 of the Specialty dive.

The PADI Master Diver is just a recognition of achievement:

• Open Water Diver
    • Advanced Open Water Diver
      • Navigation Adventure Dive
      • Deep Water Adventure Dive
      • Three other Adventure Dives
    • Rescue Diver
    • Five Specialty Divers
    • 50 Logged Dives

Once you achieve all this you can apply for a Master Diver certification. It is really just $50 and a card. There is no need to do anything more for it.

You could do the same thing with NAUI. Pick 5 NAUI specialties and complete them. Pick ones you like rather than ones needed for Master Diver.

You could also start looking at other agencies for courses. SDI/TDI, SSI, GUE to name a few.
    There is diving in NAUI Master Diver with most of it seeming to be extension of what was already covered in advanced and rescue; a lot of the work seems to focus on gas theory and dive science. A couple things I've thought about but think would have to get through specialty groups are Research Diver and Kelp Diver.

Quote Originally Posted by russp View Post
    There is diving in NAUI Master Diver with most of it seeming to be extension of what was already covered in advanced and rescue; a lot of the work seems to focus on gas theory and dive science. A couple things I've thought about but think would have to get through specialty groups are Research Diver and Kelp Diver.
    Wouldn't you have to go to northern California or somewhere else to do the Kelp Diver?
    This signature left intentionally blank

Barracuda Founding Member
    Do you ever plan to go into overhead environments? What about deco?

If yes, figure out a path to those goals.

Any specialty certs that'd you'd like/need such as DPV, or drysuit?

If no, no, and no... Then just get out and dive, dive, dive!

EDIT -

Or, you didn't list being Enriched Air/Nitrox certified. That's a fairly common one you may want.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    Wouldn't you have to go to northern California or somewhere else to do the Kelp Diver?
    Yep, was looking at doing the kelp dive certification through the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the research (or scientific) diver certification at Aquarina Springs in San Marcos, Tx which is managed by Texas State University.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFood View Post
    Do you ever plan to go into overhead environments? What about deco?

If yes, figure out a path to those goals.

Any specialty certs that'd you'd like/need such as DPV, or drysuit?

If no, no, and no... Then just get out and dive, dive, dive!

EDIT -

Or, you didn't list being Enriched Air/Nitrox certified. That's a fairly common one you may want.
    Most of the research and rescue groups I've talked with seem to not get involved with penetration and deco diving, I guess too much risk when also dealing with animals. Dry suit and nitrox might be handy though, especially in the colder waters of Northern California or even up in British Columbia.

Grouper
    To be quite honest, I believe everything that you say that you want to do can be accomplished at your current cert level (with the specialty exceptions like the kelp diver).

At this point in the game, what is going to make you a better diver is to get out and dive and get as much experience/bottom time as you possibly can in as many different areas you can (ie night, boat, drift, deeper, etc.)

Nitrox is def a great course to have. If you are a competent diver, a drysuit is easy to pick up, only takes a few dives with someone who already dives a drysuit. Demo days are a great way to get your feet wet so to speak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information