Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas and sad times...

Grouper

Christmas and sad times...

Hello everyone,
    During the holidays everything is often happy and everyone is celebrating however for some it is not a good time as life can change in an instant.
    So please remember the families of the two Chicago firefighters that lost their lives in a fire. They gave all trying to save a vacant building. Such a sad time.
    On a sad happening closer to home, Kannapolis Fire Dept. which is where I work at, lost a firefighter to a heart attack on Wed. He leaves behind a family and son.
    It is a shame that these and countless other families will have to associate this with Christmas from now on and deal with the pain.
    Everyone please be safe and count your blessings as a persons life can change in an instant.
    Lets see, to dive or not to dive? Well that is a stupid question, DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, and then DIVE some more as long as it is safe!!!!!

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Thanks for posting. Allows me to off gas.

My 60 year old cousin died of a massive coronary Tuesday 12/21. While he had a homes here and in Vermont, his heart was in New York. He planned to visit his kids and their families on Long Island for Christmas. Then he was going to fly to Italy to spend time with his siblings.

My sweet little 18 year old cousin was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma last month. She is in the fight of her young life.

Between me and my Mother, we have 9 guests from Tampa, New York, San Antonio, New Jersey and Key West. Glad we have a furnished condo on the beach which is vacant until 01/01/11.

Great to have us all here, but it won't all be about merry making.

Last time I was at a party where everybody was feeling Merry, Merry went home and the party broke up shortly thereafter.

Oh, BTW...cancer sucks.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Shark
    Images
    My heart goes out to all!

My heart goes out to anyone who has ever lost a loved one this time of year!!
    It's really tough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KO

Shark
    year #2, no, not easier yet
    if it has tires or testicles, eventually it is going to give you trouble

Shark
    Images
    Extremely hard day for us, and will not get easier for some time.
    I am afraid Christmas will never be the same.
    That said, don't want to bring anyone down, I just wish one particular nurse on this hospice floor will
    stop asking me how I am doing and how was my Christmas when I frikkin spent it holding my non responsive pop's hand.
    She works right here! Oh and dear nurse, I really don't want to hear you whine that you have to work Christmas day and gee
    all your troubles getting from one party to another.
    Did I mention she frikkin works right where my pop is? Would also be nice to at least look at my dad when she walks in the room, instead
    of barging in, complain, head to the table to see if my sister brought any more home made candy, fill her hands and then leave.
    Merry Christmas.

Sine Timore!

Barracuda
    SS I can relate, had similar dealings with Grandfather, however I can also understand, yet not condone, the fact that those folks deal with this sh%$ every working day and probably get cold to some of the more human factors. To work in that environment and maintain a real human persona would be almost superhuman. I lost my Father almost 31 years ago and still think of him all the time, the Holidays are even more a reminder. I only smile now when I remember how much he showed the true Christmas spirit. I have had to tell stories of the grandfather they never knew to my daughters every Christmas that I have been able to be home. I have come to enjoy that, I remember only good times now. May peace find you and your family as you endure these trying times.
    Dave.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Stud, maybe you need to find a polite way to tell her to STFU and GTFO. She's insensitive, so embarassment and/or shame might work to break through her shell. That is, let her know she has no problems compared to yours. Don't be mean, be direct. After subtlety fails, I often use directness, where needed (an d my wife hates it), but sometimes, it is required.
    rick

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by scubastud View Post
    Extremely hard day for us, and will not get easier for some time.
    I am afraid Christmas will never be the same.
    That said, don't want to bring anyone down, I just wish one particular nurse on this hospice floor will
    stop asking me how I am doing and how was my Christmas when I frikkin spent it holding my non responsive pop's hand.
    She works right here! Oh and dear nurse, I really don't want to hear you whine that you have to work Christmas day and gee
    all your troubles getting from one party to another.
    Did I mention she frikkin works right where my pop is? Would also be nice to at least look at my dad when she walks in the room, instead
    of barging in, complain, head to the table to see if my sister brought any more home made candy, fill her hands and then leave.
    Merry Christmas.
    SS, I am so sorry for what you are going through but really happy that you are there with your Dad. Keep talking to him, touching him, etc. You might be surprised as how much he is able to hear and feel. I remember caring for a 16 year old who was brain dead. I'd tell him about Carolina basketball because his Mom said he was a fan. I moved on to another rotation. Docs were wrong, he recovered. He remembered me, and only me, from amongst the nurses caring for him while he was not responding.

As for the nurse, she probably needs to work an area other than hospice. Tell her, nicely, firmly.

I lost my Dad just before Thanksgiving many years ago. I remember when I went back to work it was almost unbearable to hear people bitch about the weather, traffic, etc when my world had just ground to a halt. So I understand how her behavior makes you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Davetowz View Post
    SS I can relate, had similar dealings with Grandfather, however I can also understand, yet not condone, the fact that those folks deal with this sh%$ every working day and probably get cold to some of the more human factors. To work in that environment and maintain a real human persona would be almost superhuman.
    It's not superhuman at all. I used to care for terminal children. Sometimes my job was to help a family face a dignified death. I always cared. I have a nephew who is not going to grow up. All lives are not long, but all are valuable and have a purpose. And personally, I believe that these kids were going to a far better place than I was working in. The faith that I have made it bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
    Stud, maybe you need to find a polite way to tell her to STFU and GTFO. She's insensitive, so embarassment and/or shame might work to break through her shell. That is, let her know she has no problems compared to yours. Don't be mean, be direct. After subtlety fails, I often use directness, where needed (an d my wife hates it), but sometimes, it is required.
    Embarrassment and shame rarely work to change a person's behavior. A kind and direct communication is what is needed here.

Shark
    Images
    Thanks guys, I really know life goes on, and you are kind and tolerant with me.

Here's a kinda funny story.

My sister from Domenica is here, here is a conversation we had Christmas morning.

sis looking out the window: "Oh, sh** it's snowing."

Me: "Patti, think of the millions of children looking out the wondow right now all bright eyed and excited that it is snowing Christmas morning."

Sis: "Fu** them."

Told her she makes Scrooge look like Mother Theresa.

Sine Timore!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information